Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
East Coast Rain Blues

Why cold and snow is out and wet a warm remains the theme in the East, join in the conversation.

Sign in to follow this  
WeatherMonger

Weather Disco Hunting, Fishing and Foraging Thread

Staff Recommended Posts

Whether fishing for sport or putting food on the table. Share your stories, trophies and pictures here.

Any and all outdoor conservation preferences allowed.

Lets try to keep it classy, tasteful and law abiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mainly hunt deer, fish and every Spring seek the elusive morel mushroom.

Went on my first deer hunt back in Highschool in 1990. Things out of my control kept me out of the deer woods for the next 17 years. Still fished and foraged, just never got back into the woods for rel until 2007. My Uncle was gracious enough to let me hunt his land during firearm season and I was able to harvest my first deer ever. I was and still am hooked.

 

20171204_184503.thumb.jpg.ebbcb0109c61e2283273d3cf6b62e189.jpg

 

Since then I have never missed a season, just grown older and fatter :6:and somewht smarter. Have taken quite a few nice bucks all thanks to my Uncle and his land. 

 

Lost my uncle this past June to cancer and will be dedicating this season to him. Thought of him as more of a Father than and Uncle, going to be different this season for sure.

 

Enough with my story, here's a few more over the years. 

 

2011

20180730_195229.jpg.76b22dc48904287075e30b4913aa6c01.jpg

2013

Screenshot_20180814-204346_Gallery.thumb.jpg.442dcbd958e1dbf22c9e5bf3951a8594.jpg

2016

20180818_112523.thumb.png.791114a4510df50d4dd11b6d9ce6f144.png

2017

 

Screenshot_20180814-204605_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2d631ae435ab7891e22b412fda8c3e97.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:classic_blink:

Wow!  Nice deer WM!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any good trail cam pics for this year yet?  (Nothing but small ones here.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And from back in the day.

....boy, I’ve been seeing that deer everyday. I think I’ll take my gun in the bus this morning....:forumsmiley1009-1:

D701DCCA-0320-412B-9F0B-EDD507CAC88E.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do cams much. The property I hunt is an hours drive away, between work and normal life don't get much time to scout. I was hanging a few cams on my first hunt and would pull them on my last checking them periodically. Ended up scrapping that idea as I never seen any of the mature bucks I got on cam and was hunting stands based on 3am images when they were either in the seek or chase phase.

 

My uncle knew his land like the back of his hand, hunted a lot of his stands over the years and they are tried amd true. Not sure what to expect this year since his passing, he always kept the open areas mowed and some trails that the deer used. Wish I could get out there and keep up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hiramite said:

And from back in the day.

....boy, I’ve been seeing that deer everyday. I think I’ll take my gun in the bus this morning....:forumsmiley1009-1:

D701DCCA-0320-412B-9F0B-EDD507CAC88E.jpeg

Seen that awhile back, could you imagine if something like that happened today?

 

From that day forward, that was probably the safest bus in the county :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a cam out in a few years, but when I did I usually put them out after the season to see what I missed :classic_biggrin:  Since I'm out where I hunt most of the time anyway during the summer (farming does have that one advantage!), I basically know what hangs out in certain areas without putting too much effort into it. 

One example in this pic.  There's corn outside of the trees on both sides.  I was out checking on a little patch of sweet corn I had hidden away from view.  Took a pic for no real reason other than to make a friend that lives in Atlanta jealous of the wide open lol.  Anyways, probably my best spot:

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1231.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SoDakFarmer said:

I haven't had a cam out in a few years, but when I did I usually put them out after the season to see what I missed :classic_biggrin:  Since I'm out where I hunt most of the time anyway during the summer (farming does have that one advantage!), I basically know what hangs out in certain areas without putting too much effort into it. 

One example in this pic.  There's corn outside of the trees on both sides.  I was out checking on a little patch of sweet corn I had hidden away from view.  Took a pic for no real reason other than to make a friend that lives in Atlanta jealous of the wide open lol.  Anyways, probably my best spot:

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1231.JPG

Your season open? I know at least some in ND have opened already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hiramite said:

And from back in the day.

....boy, I’ve been seeing that deer everyday. I think I’ll take my gun in the bus this morning....:forumsmiley1009-1:

D701DCCA-0320-412B-9F0B-EDD507CAC88E.jpeg

There was a time when deer numbers were a lot lower than they are today. It was before most people can remember nowadays. Scoring a kill was not a foregone conclusion like it is today. These things are a nuisance now. Hard to go out for a ride anytime without seeing them ready to jump in front of your car and the biggest trophy bucks are in urban areas. At least that's how it is in my area. This picture is from a different era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archery opened on September 1st, rifle opens here the weekend before Thanksgiving and during that season archery shuts down, or at least it used to.  There are others like muzzleloader, youth/apprentice,  east river and west river open on different dates as well.

 

https://gfp.sd.gov/deer/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1816 said:

There was a time when deer numbers were a lot lower than they are today. It was before most people can remember nowadays. Scoring a kill was not a foregone conclusion like it is today. These things are a nuisance now. Hard to go out for a ride anytime without seeing them ready to jump in front of your car and the biggest trophy bucks are in urban areas. At least that's how it is in my area. This picture is from a different era. 

I hear from those older than me, mostly 15-30 years on how low the numbers of deer were here.

 

Could go an entire season and not see a deer.

 

Couldn't even imagine that now, I've seen as many as 23 in a day(also seen as few as 0 per day lol)

 

Regulation has its role. Hunting is conservation and population control intertwined. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

I hear from those older than me, mostly 15-30 years on how low the numbers of deer were here.

 

Could go an entire season and not see a deer.

 

Couldn't even imagine that now, I've seen as many as 23 in a day(also seen as few as 0 per day lol)

 

Regulation has its role. Hunting is conservation and population control intertwined. 

The further we get from the days when hunting wasn't a hobby but a necessary part of a family's grocery plans, the worse the overpopulation problem is going to get. Every generation has fewer hunters than the one before, the kids dont have the patience or attention span. With the exception of those who have it passed down to them, there aren't alot of new people taking up hunting. I doubt that changes unless something drastic happens with society and the economy which causes people to hunt for subsistence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 1816 said:

The further we get from the days when hunting wasn't a hobby but a necessary part of a family's grocery plans, the worse the overpopulation problem is going to get. Every generation has fewer hunters than the one before, the kids dont have the patience or attention span. With the exception of those who have it passed down to them, there aren't alot of new people taking up hunting. I doubt that changes unless something drastic happens with society and the economy which causes people to hunt for subsistence. 

Here in Ohio, the deer population probably peaked back in the ‘90’s and has been decreasing ever since to more manageable levels due to liberal limits. A lot of hunters say the herd has decreased too much (especially on public lands) and have been screaming for the last few years to reduce the bag limits.  Our DNR has begun to do so so it will interesting to see what happens.

I’m fortunate to have my own hunk of land surrounded by other land with little hunting pressure. I see deer, but just not the big ‘uns like WM and SDF!:classic_dry:   :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Hiramite
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hiramite said:

Here in Ohio, the deer population probably peaked back in the ‘90’s and has been decreasing ever since to more manageable levels due to liberal limits. A lot of hunters say the herd has decreased too much (especially on public lands) and have been screaming for the last few years to reduce the bag limits.  Our DNR has begun to do so so it will interesting to see what happens.

I’m fortunate to have my own hunk of land surrounded by other land with little hunting pressure. I see deer, but just not the big ‘uns like WM and SDF!:classic_dry:   :classic_biggrin:

The public land thing is a separate problem I think. I dont know anything about wildlife management or distribution. Maybe I'm wrong but I bet once they drive away from the public land and they pass through the suburbs on the way home they could see 10 deer in someone's yard. The deer are just in the wrong place. :classic_laugh:

Edited by 1816

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I belong to a club in the Poconos and while some members harvest deer, the racks are nothing to write home about. I am

lucky enough to be able to hunt on two adjoining patches close to my home. Because of nearby farm land, they produce

decent size deer and horns. The season opened here this past Saturday. Just waiting for some cooler weather to park

myself in my tree stands. Best of luck to all this season:classic_cool:

Edited by geeter1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ohio may have one of the longest archery seasons in the country running continuously from the last Saturday in September to the first Sunday in February.

Personally, I don’t start until the end of October waiting for most of the leaves to drop so I can see more than 20 yds. :classic_smile:  But I truly just like just sitting in a tree watching the world go by. Taking a deer is strictly bonus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of overpopulation problems: http://www.kulr8.com/story/39099574/2018/09/Sunday/hunting-guide-killed-and-hunter-injured-in-wyoming-bear-attack-during-elk-hunt

Sad story. Back in the day when society was more connected with the land, predators were hunted into near extinction. Obviously nobody wants to see species go extinct, but there was a reason why that happened. THEY. EAT. PEOPLE. It's a huge problem with Grizzlies, Mountain Lions, Wolves, Gators. The list goes on and on. Sharks are debatable but the numbers have rebounded from that they once were. 

Part of the problem is that population growth has humans constantly encroaching on these animals' habitat. But that isnt a new problem. It's been happening since humans started existing. The difference is that before, when humans populated an area, they got rid of as many predators as possible as quickly as possible to minimize any attacks on people and livestock. I dont want to see any animals go away completely, and I realize that animal rights type people dont see things this way, but the numbers of these predators needs to be going down a lot faster than they are. If not, we are going to see a lot more stories like this. You see them already. A few people in Florida have been killed by gators while walking their dogs this year alone and that's just the stories I happened to come across. A hiker or two dead by mountain lions. One awesome 16 year old girl saved her 6 year old brother from a big cat with a bow and arrow: https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/state/washington/article218427765.html.

Unless we want to see more families losing loved ones like the 5 kids and wife who lost Mark Uptain in this grizzly attack, the powers that be better get busy not just loosening the reins on predator control, but actively recruiting and encouraging it. 

Edited by 1816

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

November is fast approaching, start my vacation in 2 weeks. Won't make it out before then, but not a better time to be in the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

November is fast approaching, start my vacation in 2 weeks. Won't make it out before then, but not a better time to be in the woods.

I haven’t been out yet either...maybe next week. My neighbor got a wall-hanger on opening day across the street from me.

Very disappointed in the bucks on camera, but then again, you never know what might show up once the rut kicks in.

Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck as well!

I live too far from the property I hunt to do much in the form of scouting. No field edges to hunt, mainly a travel through and bedding property but it is 90% wooded(67 acres) and surrounded by private big woods and ag fields. There's a lot of big bucks in the area and during the rut all you need is ass in seat and patience and something will show up. May not get a shot op every time but seeing them is 70% of it.

 

I used to hang some cams on my first sit of the year and check periodically through the season but don't even do that anymore. Sit from dark to daek as much as possible in November and hope to be in the right tree at the right time.

 

Just dropped off 62lbs of deer burger left from last season this past Friday. Will be picking up 93lbs of sticks, brats, bacon and sausage in another week or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 10:13 PM, WeatherMonger said:

Good luck as well!

I live too far from the property I hunt to do much in the form of scouting. No field edges to hunt, mainly a travel through and bedding property but it is 90% wooded(67 acres) and surrounded by private big woods and ag fields. There's a lot of big bucks in the area and during the rut all you need is ass in seat and patience and something will show up. May not get a shot op every time but seeing them is 70% of it.

 

I used to hang some cams on my first sit of the year and check periodically through the season but don't even do that anymore. Sit from dark to daek as much as possible in November and hope to be in the right tree at the right time.

 

Just dropped off 62lbs of deer burger left from last season this past Friday. Will be picking up 93lbs of sticks, brats, bacon and sausage in another week or two.

Thanks.  Now that I live where I hunt, I’ve tended to get lazy and head out for a few hours whenever. Kind of losing the interest that I had in my younger years but still love be in the woods during the rut when you can see some amazing stuff!

If you need help eating those sticks, let me know and I’ll PM you my address. :classic_laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if any of you hunt pheasant, but this was opening weekend here.  Big business in this state!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SoDakFarmer said:

I don't know if any of you hunt pheasant, but this was opening weekend here.  Big business in this state!

Back in the day there were some around my area of NE Ohio to hunt. Now they are pretty much limited to stocked locations in NE OH.  Haven’t hunted them in a looonnngggg time, but I still have some tail feathers collecting dust.

Here are the locations of the wild birds in OH.

D32A88F7-978B-438A-AAD8-962EFCFE0B18.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×