Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

UTSwiinii

October 1-4, 2018 | Warm Spell + FROPA + Severe Threat

Staff Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, StretchCT said:

6F650AB6-003B-4C77-8F9F-73962118939C.thumb.jpeg.ddc6128793771a946e34f9b8d7f9fd56.jpeg

Add these and you get quite an outbreak confirmed.

torcount.thumb.PNG.0aa5205b38a17c90884be479c033cc25.PNG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 4

Posted (edited)

According to US Tornadoes' Twitter, this was a top 5 tornado outbreak for the region

zX7ZkJj.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • Wow! 1

Posted (edited)

Front moved through, had a bit of rain, about an inch liquid over the past 2 days.

.Frost advisory issued for the cold that follows..

..FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM EDT FRIDAY...

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from 1 AM to 8 AM EDT Friday.

* LOCATIONS...Oswego County. Locations well inland from lake
  Ontario.

* TEMPERATURE...In the mid 30s.

Edited by Mike W IN ALTMAR

We just had a downpour here, now it's even more muggy! I cannot believe the amount of mosquitoes, it's just awful. At this point I would almost welcome a frost to kill these things, but not sure if it would or not, I have never seen them this bad in my area. 

It feels like we are never going to break this pattern, maybe for a day or so, but it comes right back. It's getting really annoying.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

According to US Tornadoes' Twitter, this was a top 5 tornado outbreak for the region

zX7ZkJj.png

May 31, 1985 was a cataclysm in western and northern Pennsylvania. Of those 23 tornadoes, all but two of them were in Pennsylvania. New Jersey and Connecticut didn't have any, and New York had three, including one that crossed from Pennsylvania into New York. There were another 11 tornadoes in Ohio, including four that crossed from Ohio into Pennsylvania. One of the Ohio/Pennsylvania tornadoes was rated F5, and it was the only tornado of such intensity in the United States in 1985.

Western Pennsylvania seems to average a tornado outbreak every 20 years or so, including some especially violent ones in 1944 and 1998. There were also two tornadoes in western Pennsylvania during the Veterans Day Outbreak in 2002, one of which was a strong/killer tornado. Westmoreland County (east of Pittsburgh) is the "tornado alley" of Pennsylvania, with 41 tornadoes since 1881. It and Crawford County (south of Erie) lead all Pennsylvania counties by a mile.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning sunrise in progress here at the Millbrook Station. I usually (unless it's dumping rain) sit outside for an hour or two at the start of shift, once I finish my rig check. We started out with zero cloud cover, giving me a very starry view (caught a meteor AND a fast-moving satellite). Stars starting to fade now, crescent moon still bright in the sky, horizon turning from black to teal. Rather cold breeze...I'm actually wearing a light coat right now. (The "traffic cone", we call it, as it satisfies ANSI reflective vest requirements for roadside work). 

No matter how crazy my life gets (and trust me, it gets crazy), sometimes, I need a good sunrise to ground me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheDayAfterTommorow said:

Absolutely stunning sunrise in progress here at the Millbrook Station. I usually (unless it's dumping rain) sit outside for an hour or two at the start of shift, once I finish my rig check. We started out with zero cloud cover, giving me a very starry view (caught a meteor AND a fast-moving satellite). Stars starting to fade now, crescent moon still bright in the sky, horizon turning from black to teal. Rather cold breeze...I'm actually wearing a light coat right now. (The "traffic cone", we call it, as it satisfies ANSI reflective vest requirements for roadside work). 

No matter how crazy my life gets (and trust me, it gets crazy), sometimes, I need a good sunrise to ground me. 

Nice. 

Yesterday's sunrise here was pretty cool. As breaking minimal clouds dotted the eastern horizon, the sun rose and had that "red rubber ball" appearance as it, initially, posed on the horizon. 

This morning's early a.m. star view was quite clear/crisp - not quite cool enough to feel like true Fall, but close enough - and much easier to inhale. 

• Like 3

Time period had a 6.5° above normal daily average at Danbury. 8.4° above normal average at Oxford/Waterbury and 8 above normal at Bridgeport.

8igf5OU.png

• Like 1

:classic_ohmy:

nwstweet.PNG.1fbe70af6adf3dc025161fc772d5a550.PNG

• Wow! 2

On 10/3/2018 at 12:57 PM, LUCC said:

Man, those storms were wicked last night, maybe worst of the summer/fall so far this year! Only lasted about 20-30 minutes but non-stop lightning the entire time! Bring on some warm and dry weather for the long range, the amount of qpf of the last 3-4 weeks here has been depressing and my yard is a swamp. Mosquitoes are worse of the year so far.

Flew out of Newark on Tuesday evening after some delays.  My colleague took this video shortly after takeoff...

• Like 1

There are predictions that Thursday's storms, as the battle of the ridge continues, could be severe.  Any indications around how severe?

On 10/6/2018 at 5:36 AM, UTSwiinii said:

:classic_ohmy:

nwstweet.PNG.1fbe70af6adf3dc025161fc772d5a550.PNG

That's three in Westmoreland County and two in Crawford County, which are already the two runaway leaders for tornadoes in Pennsylvania historically. I also see two each in Jefferson County and Lackawanna County, and one each in Greene County, Warren County, Lycoming County, Carbon County and Monroe County.

Edited by Q-Zar