Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

bobbo428

October 6-10, 2018 | Warm Spell

Staff Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, telejunkie said:

We got to 81F here on Oct 22 last year...definitely was a very late start to fall last year as well, but then again, we didn't have much heat during the summer months (never hit 90s during the summer time here last year). We got our first frost last year on Oct 17th. We'll see what happens with Sergio but it could help drag down some cold in its wake and provide more widespread frost-freeze advisories for the region.

All true, but I don’t recall weeks and weeks of it, like we have now. Unrelenting moisture wasn’t the case last year either. 

Lynnie is right about the mosquitoes. This year they are obscene. OTOH, the bats are very happy...

The “ridging” this year is extraordinary 

• Like 2

56C4E182-B7D3-4061-B930-2AAB5D6F2851.thumb.jpeg.e0540df1317f6934e6c7a0ed1b44c846.jpeg

• Sad 1

Supposed to be 80 here today, but as usual its overcast. Yesterday was dreary too. My buddy across the street said he has made a 3rd less power using his solar panels this year. We have had MANY overcast days here on LI this year.

• Like 1

There is quite a range of temperatures in the Northeast:  80s (82 degrees) in Teterboro, NJ, 70s in Scranton (76) and here in Binghamton (70) but in the 60s (64 in Cortland, NY (less than 40 miles north of the Binghamton airport) and in the 50s (59 in Ithaca, NY and as low as 52 in Watertown, NY). Tonight looks like what I call a 59-er. It never fell below 63 last night, but it should fall to 59 by midnight--and hold around there fro the rest of the night. The super warm spell has been downgraded by NWS to "on the warm side." I estimate that our chances for a record high on Wednesday (our easiest to reach record high--77--plus our warmest day) is about one in three. After that, I am more than ready for the cooldown, and I am excited about seeing that thread!

2 hours ago, bobbo428 said:

There is quite a range of temperatures in the Northeast:  80s (82 degrees) in Teterboro, NJ, 70s in Scranton (76) and here in Binghamton (70) but in the 60s (64 in Cortland, NY (less than 40 miles north of the Binghamton airport) and in the 50s (59 in Ithaca, NY and as low as 52 in Watertown, NY). Tonight looks like what I call a 59-er. It never fell below 63 last night, but it should fall to 59 by midnight--and hold around there fro the rest of the night. The super warm spell has been downgraded by NWS to "on the warm side." I estimate that our chances for a record high on Wednesday (our easiest to reach record high--77--plus our warmest day) is about one in three. After that, I am more than ready for the cooldown, and I am excited about seeing that thread!

One thing thats not effected by the clouds is the brutal humidity we are experiencing, enough already. Like mid August out there.

• Like 3

Ended up hitting 80° at the 16:53 update. Seems odd to hit the high at 5pm in October, but this season has definitely been different

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PlanetMaster said:

One thing thats not effected by the clouds is the brutal humidity we are experiencing, enough already. Like mid August out there.

:forumsmiley1392-1:

It was mid 80s and the humidity was oppressive even before noon down here today.  Nuts. I guess out west they aren't worrying about seasonal lag. Those fans at the Rockies game were decked out in cold weather gear. Looked like football weather not baseball weather. 

Edited by 1816
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, RobBucksPA said:

Things sure are different here in Tallahassee, PA...

Worst skeeter year in quite some time. Had one trapped in the car with me yesterday. He....didn't make it. 

• Haha 5

As of 11 PM, New York State alone is four-tiered:  it is in the 40s in Watertown, 50s in places like Syracuse and Ithaca, 60s in Binghamton, and 70s in New York City. 

• Wow! 1

I love finding bites that I know happened when I'm asleep.  That's the best part of this perpetual August.  Finding one on your knuckle or your elbow.  Those are great.

From an observation perspective, the weather is obviously staging its own little knife fight.  The lack of sunshine is clearly undercutting the hot air.  One thing I will say: for the first time in as long as I care to remember, there's a BREEZE.  One of the worst parts of this mug-fest has been the lack of breeze.  An occasional puff here and there, but it has been as still as July since July.  This morning I am feeling a breeze.  A muggy breeze, yes.  A dreadful breeze, sure.  But at least it's air-in-motion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GYX

Warm front draped N of the majority of the forecast area will
allow H9 temps around +20 C to remain pooled over the area. Even
marginal mixing would equal high temps in the lower 80s. PWM has
a record high of 81 set in 1949 and 2011...while CON is maybe a
bit too warm of a record at 86. Either way it will be close
based on current forecasts.

• Sad 1

Can someone explain the lower water vapor image.  Current conditions are drizzle and fog, 100% humidity. Orange is dry.

sxGXKns.jpg

55 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Can someone explain the lower water vapor image.  Current conditions are drizzle and fog, 100% humidity. Orange is dry.

sxGXKns.jpg

Literally been like that all day. Went out cycling at 7:30 PM and got a light coating of mist all over me. Then traveled back at 10:00 PM. Same light mist. It was misting at 7:00 AM this morning too. :classic_blink:. Maybe CT is turning into a cloud rainforest? Either way my brake pads are dying. Every brake felt like a new layer coming off. :classic_sad:.

• Like 1

Another beautiful morning here in Galveston, PA.  At 0700 it was 68 degrees, with humidity that you could cut with a knife.  A dull knife.  Yesterday's mist-fest was actually really interesting to live through.  It would have been more interesting if it was, say, July... but beggars can't be choosers.  We get what we get.  

The exciting news is Michael, which should bring a wave of very warm, moist air up here to the parched Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region, breaking that nasty cold spell that we've never had and providing much needed moisture to our near-flood-level rivers and streams.

That will be nice.

They say - and I no longer believe it - that actual cold air will be behind all of this.  We won't ever see that nice, dry, 69 degree day but will instead see a 51 degree snap.

"Whatevs," as the kids say.  All we can do is observe it and marvel at the fluid mechanics.  The sky has been extraordinarily roiled these past few days.  I saw a sunrise today, through a rather-rare break in the overcast, that was so dramatic that you wouldn't have believed it if someone painted it.

BTW, that breeze we had yesterday lasted for about 3 hours.  The air, once again, is as still as a church... only hotter and moister.

Mid-October, here on the Gulf of The Delaware...

• Haha 2

71 degrees at 8am on my way to work this morning.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sun is slowly starting to poke out, up to 70° as of 1030 am..

Todays forecast highs (record high’s 80°-85° depending on location)

C816DDC8-7D92-4B50-BBDD-161DB4532832.jpeg

Edited by Mike W IN ALTMAR

The overnight minimum was 65 degrees, the highest I can recall for an October day since 1979. Temperatures have been climbing sluggishly, however, and it is barely 70 now. Elmira and Ithaca are soaring--already in the upper-70s. We'll have to regain our momentum if we want to reach our record of 79, which occurred eleven years ago. Tomorrow's record is only 77, but it is supposed to be cloudier.

• Like 1

NWS really pulling back on the expected warmth in these parts...now only saying a high of 70F tomorrow (and today). Guessing the omnipresent cloud deck that seem to be entrenched overhead doesn't look to budge much...definitely humid out there though....DP at 65F

Cloud cover just won't break here, same thing every day. The sun is trying to get through, but mostly unsuccessful other than a momentary glimpse. Temp 77, DP 71, a little breeze through the perpetually stagnant air. A/C back on, wonderful.

Went out to fill the bird feeders and was immediately attacked by gangs of skeeters. They have gangs now, I know it. They have lookouts at all my exit doors, who send out alerts when I leave the house. "She's out!! Blood-sucking target exposed and ready for draining!!!" 

I just know it's going to go right into winter after this crapful summer! Where was autumn??? :352nmsp:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lynniethelurker said:

Went out to fill the bird feeders and was immediately attacked by gangs of skeeters. They have gangs now, I know it. They have lookouts at all my exit doors, who send out alerts when I leave the house. "She's out!! Blood-sucking target exposed and ready for draining!!!" 

I have to admit, it's impressive to see such tiny tattoos...

• Haha 1

We've still got skeeters roaming around up here...:classic_wacko: yesterday, I couldn't believe i got hit with a bite and killed two.  The end is nigh skeeters!!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

We've still got skeeters roaming around up here...:classic_wacko: yesterday, I couldn't believe i got hit with a bite and killed two.  The end is nigh skeeters!!

3 hours ago, lynniethelurker said:

Cloud cover just won't break here, same thing every day. The sun is trying to get through, but mostly unsuccessful other than a momentary glimpse. Temp 77, DP 71, a little breeze through the perpetually stagnant air. A/C back on, wonderful.

I just know it's going to go right into winter after this crapful summer! Where was autumn??? :352nmsp:

I have to say the skeeters are down right VICIOUS this year. I mowed Friday and as soon I reached the rear of my shed(all shade) the attack began. Its like they yelled HERE HE COMES!!! One got me just next to my right eye and I wear glasses. Never in my life have I had a bite under my glasses. I cant wait for the killing frost/freeze. :classic_wacko:

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

I have to say the skeeters are down right VICIOUS this year. I mowed Friday and as soon I reached the rear of my shed(all shade) the attack began. Its like they yelled HERE HE COMES!!! One got me just next to my right eye and I wear glasses. Never in my life have I had a bite under my glasses. I cant wait for the killing frost/freeze. :classic_wacko:

I've gotten bitten by horseflies around my eyes several times this summer and last....they swell so badly my eye has swollen shut, looks like a black eye after a few days! This summer we had terrible black flies, never recall seeing those nasty buggers here before. I looked them up and apparently Lancaster County is one of the only counties in Pa that borders the Susquehanna that does not spray for black flies. We have a creek close by, and we are also surrounded by Amish farms, so all varieties of flies like to live here. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow! 2

OUCH!!! :classic_wacko: that does not sound pleasant at all. The weekend low temps suppose to get to the upper 30's here. We need a bit more lower to wipe them out.   Slow progress.

• Like 2