Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

bobbo428

October 6-10, 2018 | Warm Spell

Staff Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, lynniethelurker said:

Cloud cover just won't break here, same thing every day. The sun is trying to get through, but mostly unsuccessful other than a momentary glimpse. Temp 77, DP 71, a little breeze through the perpetually stagnant air. A/C back on, wonderful.

Went out to fill the bird feeders and was immediately attacked by gangs of skeeters. They have gangs now, I know it. They have lookouts at all my exit doors, who send out alerts when I leave the house. "She's out!! Blood-sucking target exposed and ready for draining!!!" 

I just know it's going to go right into winter after this crapful summer! Where was autumn??? :352nmsp:

The mosquitoes love me--they must think that I am some sort of winery and my blood is their favorite kind of wine. I keep telling them that the 'winery' is closed until at least Memorial Day 2019!

• Haha 3

The last couple of days I've been plagued by gnats whenever I go out.  At least there haven't been too many mosquitos here.  I can't wait for the cooler weather to clear all the bugs out.  This weekend is going to be fantastic!

• Like 4

Started the day at 49.1 degrees, topped out at 78.6° with sunny skies.

• Wow! 2

It is 9:30 PM and the temperature is reading 72°. On October 9. And I was outside spraying ants.  Have I mentioned how done I am with heat and humidity? 😖

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Kbuf broke a daily record for oct 9th, other upstate cities came up a little short..

7CF5BB69-F8AA-40B9-A909-5516CC9CDE89.jpeg

Edited by Mike W IN ALTMAR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Started the day at 49.1 degrees, topped out at 78.6° with sunny skies.

That’s rather amazing. What a year. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lynniethelurker said:

I've gotten bitten by horseflies around my eyes several times this summer and last....they swell so badly my eye has swollen shut, looks like a black eye after a few days! This summer we had terrible black flies, never recall seeing those nasty buggers here before. I looked them up and apparently Lancaster County is one of the only counties in Pa that borders the Susquehanna that does not spray for black flies. We have a creek close by, and we are also surrounded by Amish farms, so all varieties of flies like to live here. 

Horseflies biting near your EYE?

yikes...

• Sad 2

66 out when I woke up.  Looking at a snow map this morning though.

gfs_asnow_us_40.png.6e718cbf38c12cb2f6a351e864f0b398.png

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

Being a met this Autumn is tough.  There comes a point where "shoot the messenger" sounds strangely appealing...

It's sad that we lost the best part of Autumn.  Next week we go right into the 50's and low 60's.  Hey, at least the humidity is supposed to be normal again.  It will be nice to wear a sweatshirt, see your breath in the morning, and use a chainsaw without sweating like a horse.

It will be nice to see the mosquitoes slowed down a bit by the cold, even if it's not cold enough to kill them.  At least it will be too cold for them to move much.  Bon appetit, birds and bats.  Dinner is served.  

What we really need is drying out.  I'm not sure if there will be enough moisture-free days in the weeks ahead to allow that - it's getting cold, and water doesn't evaporate as much in this kind of weather.  It is really, really wet.  My well is the highest I've ever seen it.  I have squishy spots on my lawn, still, where your boot gets wet almost to the ankle.  

The remnants of Michael could be a real peril to a great many people who are already near flood stage.  If it cuts across the Carolinas, as predicted, that's bad.  If it jogs north up to the PA/DE/NJ area, that's also bad.  The Delaware remains very high, which is indicative of the whole area.  There is no need for more water here, for quite some time.

2018 has been a great year, personally, but I will look back at it as having some of the least pleasant weather in memory.  Even if the rest of the year plays out spot on the trend, and we get a white Christmas, this has still been a rough year, meteorologically.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

66 out when I woke up.  Looking at a snow map this morning though.

gfs_asnow_us_40.png.6e718cbf38c12cb2f6a351e864f0b398.png

See! That's what I was dreading! No transitional weather anymore. Straight from a/c to heat, no fresh air and open windows!!! I feel cooped up already and it's only October!!! Going to be a long winter. 😞

• Like 1

Record high for Portland, Maine today.

.CLIMATE...
Record high temps for today Oct 10...

Portland Jetport...81 set in 2011 and 1949...this has been
broken with a high of at least 84 so far.

• Wow! 1

Left Hartford at 11pm and it was 75. Woke this morning to 70.  These would be higher than normal temps for most of the summer. 

• Like 1

I have some exciting news.  Today, October 11, is the first day that I can remember when my car wasn't TOO wet.  Oh, it was wet - let's not be ridiculous.  The roof and windshield were covered with beads of water, as they have been for the last 71 years, or thereabouts.  However, when I ran the windshield wipers they moved the water and... it didn't magically reappear instantly!  I mean, that's big news!  I could see!

Of course, to obtain this meant that the temperature was above the dew point.  Yes, 72 degrees at 0630, in Bucks County on October 11.  72 muggy, windless degrees.  

Fortunately the sodden air was still, so you could chip a piece off with a pen knife if you wanted to use it for, say, breathing.

Edited by RobBucksPA
  • Haha 4

We went from winter on April 30 to summer the very next day. We could be going from summer back to winter soon. I recall October 2002 being like this:  the month began summery. We had about 10 days of true autumn, but around Oct. 14, a Novemberlike pattern began, leading to the most severe winter of the last two decades in this part of the Northeast.

Edited by bobbo428

10 hours ago, bobbo428 said:

We went from winter on April 30 to summer the very next day. We could be going from summer back to winter soon. I recall October 2002 being like this:  the month began summery. We had about 10 days of true autumn, but around Oct. 14, a Novemberlike pattern began, leading to the most severe winter of the last two decades in this part of the Northeast.

I remember having my Outdoor First Responder class for a week out on an island in Boston Harbor near the end of October...was cold and windy the entire week. Arrived in Vermont end of October/early November to a major noreaster (moved from Maine to Vermont). Have a pic coming over Shelburne Pass with over a foot of snow on the ground. By Thanksgiving, Killington could have been practically 100% open with all the natural snow. That was an epic winter snow-wise in these parts and epic cold that ensued in Jan & Feb. The back to back noreasters around christmas-new years and then the presidents day storm....fun times...

Anyway, not expecting anything like that again...but some great memories my first year on ski patrol as it was a great year for "trail checks" before the mountain opened.

• Like 2

WXD URGENT REQUEST FOR EVACUATION WXD

HAVE AWOKEN ON STRANGE PLANET STOP

VEGETATION MOVING AS GASEOUS ATMOSPHERE PASSES BY STOP

SKY BLUE WITH GASEOUS CLOUDS STOP

LOCAL STAR VISIBLE PRESUMED TO BE YELLOW-WHITE STOP

TEMPERATURE 63 DEGREES STOP

HUMIDITY LOW STOP

NOT SURE WHERE THIS PLANET IS  ATTEMPT TO TRACE MY SIGNAL IF POSSIBLE STOP 

THIS IS NOT MY HOT AND HUMID PLANET  I AM DISORIENTED.

After the driveway washed out, again, because of a heavy rain that normally wouldn't have flooded the stream, but in this state of hyper-full it didn't take much... anyhow, after that it was "fun" to watch the battle.  This morning the new breeze was pushing gobs of hot and humid air from out of the woods, expelling it.  To Hades, I presume.  It was great.  Cool breeze followed by a "breath" of humid coming from the woods, followed by more cool.  Most of the muggy is gone now, but the ground is certainly still holding plenty.  

Have to run.  My new gravel is here.  Second time this year.  Yay.  Hopefully this is it for flash floods, but autumn is a pretty normal season for them.

• Haha 5

Finally stopped the madness.  First time being below normal was today, 18 days in a row going back to Sept 25th.  What a glorious run it was!

31988104_octoberfirsthalfabovenormal.thumb.PNG.678459c4774903f48c698e825615ba12.PNG

• Like 1