• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

Solstice

October 12-31*, 2018 | Repeated Cold Blasts | End of Growing Season

Solstice

The * indicates days of exception to the thread rule.

In this case, the days of exception are October 15, and October 20.

Message added by Solstice

Staff Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Noble said:

Is this the one you were trying to post?

814temp.new.gif

Yeah, that's the one I meant. No idea why it wouldn't work for me.

Nice banding features setting up over northern Maine. Just starting to get in on the action.

rs_kcbw_wdtr1_1540397140.png

IMG_20181024_120504.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today's high of 38 was our lowest since April 20. However, after falling to 35 by early evening, it has stalled there. At this rate, we will have a morning low of 33 or even 34, which is barely below average. We may still end up a tenth of a degree above normal for average monthly temperature because of all these near average minimums. So much for the 26-degree minimum they had advertised a few days ago.  In addition, I have yet to see a flake of snow all day. When precipitation does come, it will likely be drizzle or freezing drizzle if it does in fact drop to 32 degrees, which is pushing it. 

On 10/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, 1816 said:

First real widespread frost of the season here this morning. Felt good, felt like fall.

If this doesn't get the leaves to change, they can just stay green until next fall. :classic_laugh:

Well I guess it worked. Its like a switch was flipped the last few days. We will be at peak color this weekend into halloween. 

• Like 1

Photo by my son, driving him to school...was another beautiful morning

66E51651-9535-4A69-8302-7BEAC36FAF1C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just took this picture while out walking the dog this afternoon.  This is Whiteface taken from VT.

IMG_6857.thumb.JPG.77192560e8a9817f9fc9b391512f91c5.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I just took this picture while out walking the dog this afternoon.  This is Whiteface taken from VT.

Nice shot!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheRex said:

That must be taken from up near Mil-un or Snalbans...never knew that Whiteface looked east....

4 hours ago, telejunkie said:

That must be taken from up near Mil-un or Snalbans...never knew that Whiteface looked east....

Charlotte.  We are directly east of Whiteface.  I didn't know Whiteface looked east until I moved here.  I thought it faced north because it gets so icy on that mountain.

There appears to be an end-of-month warmup that will prevent our overall monthly average from being in the minus territory. They have raised Tuesday's max to the 50s, which is one degree above average. Halloween is now looking like upper-50s, five degrees above normal. At best, we will achieve an exactly normal month. It will come down to how cool we can get his weekend. This month came so close to being below normal, but this warmup should end my hopes of a cool month. I knew I was in trouble when I saw orange on a temperature map for Nov.1. That warmup was--as I had feared--pushed up to Oct. 31 and now Oct. 30. I hope the trough associated with the nor'easter can hang around long enough to keep our temperatures down more than expected during the day. It is my only hope. Yesterday's max was four degrees cooler than expected, so that helped a lot. I hope we can keep that going for a few more days.

Edited by bobbo428
  • Like 1

Makes sense. I don't remember needing the heat this much this time of year!

Past 2 weeks have been the coldest since 1970s. For NYC the Avg temp was 50.4° for period of October 13-27. Coldest since 1976. Before that was 1907

vbrGoTT.jpg

Departures past 2 weeks

hezwFJH.jpg

Usually once or twice in October and that's it. It's been needed about everyday past 2 weeks and sometimes multiple times.

qPI8ELnh.jpg

Here are the temps inside my Dining Room.

obs4.jpg

• Like 1

We finally broke into minus territory or the month, and today should end up two or three degrees below average. They have lowered tomorrow's max a bit--and tomorrow night's min. However, Wednesday's max has been raised 56-60. This will come down, as expected, to the extent of the Halloween day warmup. Right now, we would end up at exactly average for the month--the first exactly average one in 11 or 12 years (either June 2006 or March 2007). I am rooting for minus. I hope tonight's cold air advection can drop the minimum for today a bit more.

Edited by bobbo428
grammatical error

This month will likely end up just above normal at KPIT. As of yesterday, we were at 0.7+ for the month and today and tomorrow should end up below normal, but Wednesday likely will be warm enough to dash any chance of finishing below normal. We are however, below normal for the high temperature for the month but two degrees or so above normal for the low with the month. 

Edited by bradjl2009
  • Like 1

Thus, the thread enters its twilight.

gfs_T2ma_us_fh0-108.gif.4fc112eb25e617c694b80dbeb39e951e.gif

Guess its a good thing i keep the a/c in the windows.  Ugghh, was so used to this beautiful chilly weather when getting home at 7am from work.

All these locations are having the coldest 2nd half of October since 2002..

Hartford (44.8°) 3rd coldest
Bridgeport (49.2°) 8th coldest
NYC (50.1°) 15th coldest
Philly (51.7°) 11th coldest

Look at the trend past couple decades. It's been a long time since feeling this kind of chill for 2nd half of October.

Interesting trend for NYC though - Flat

FT3HSBeh.jpg

Kan3ztah.jpg

GQq8eaLh.jpg

Aw5hyQGh.jpg

• Like 1