• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

Solstice

October 12-31*, 2018 | Repeated Cold Blasts | End of Growing Season

Solstice

The * indicates days of exception to the thread rule.

In this case, the days of exception are October 15, and October 20.

Message added by Solstice

Staff Recommended Posts

47 degrees at 18z. 2pm.  Wondering if we break 50.  Turned heat on for season as the fireplace and daytime highs will no longer heat the house.  

It would be great if this forum had the location of the poster easily visible for all to see, people say "it's 38 where I am" but I have no idea where that is!  

8 minutes ago, Noble said:

It would be great if this forum had the location of the poster easily visible for all to see, people say "it's 38 where I am" but I have no idea where that is!  

I am in near Binghamton, in upstate New York. Sorry for the foul-up. I see you are new to the forums--the other members' posts are much more informative, as you will soon discover if you stick around for a while. 

Still only 48 degrees here. We may not break 50 degrees IMBY today. But the sun is out, and things are drying out.

There are frost warnings up for the counties that touch mine, just to the north..

The day started out in the mid 40's with showers in New York's Mid Hudson Valley. There are frost advisories for most of the area tonight into Sunday morning.  Temp. now at 53 @ 2:30 p.m.

image.png.1f48fc1c1500bf1d418b4d5db5eb6d96.png

Looks like NWS product that gave me the hazard  map above will be replace with the product below. I have been playing around with it and you can get a lot of information from this new product all at one place.  The link is below in case you don't have it.

https://digital.weather.gov/?zoom=6&lat=44.27439&lon=-71.56104&layers=00BTFFTT&region=0&element=0&mxmz=false

image.png.1ccd25be67f8608440dc826e5c1f09c6.png

Edited by Wx_WhatWX?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 and cloudy and we dropped to 39 as well so it was our coldest morning in over 5 months. With this rather thick cloud cover and only about 2.5 more hours of the temperature being able to increase, we have good shot of not getting out if the 40s today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradjl2009 said:

45 and cloudy and we dropped to 39 as well so it was our coldest morning in over 5 months. With this rather thick cloud cover and only about 2.5 more hours of the temperature being able to increase, we have good shot of not getting out if the 40s today. 

That is how we were yesterday, and once the rain started, it dropped back into the 30s. It was wonderful! Lol

• Like 1

Looks like Pittsburgh's high for today will be 47, our coldest high since mid April! The high today was more like average for Thanksgiving time, not mid October! I love it lol. By comparison, we didn't have a high below 50 until October 25th of last year so despite the warmth, we are ahead of where we were last year in a sense lol. 

Edited by bradjl2009
  • Like 2

Edited start date to the 12th and the end date to the 14th, because of the warmup / storm on the 15th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StretchCT said:

47 degrees at 18z. 2pm.  Wondering if we break 50.  Turned heat on for season as the fireplace and daytime highs will no longer heat the house.  

Made it to 51.  

A picture from this afternoon of the top of Mad River Glen in VT.  It was snowing when I crossed over the gap road around 4 pm today.  Nice to see some flakes in October.

IMG_20181013_164248660_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

First winter-related hazard of the year for @StretchCT? I barely miss out :classic_sad:.

430754990_Screenshot2018-10-13at5_50_06PM.png.a6d33b50baea24a257642588c55b4791.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solstice said:

because of the warmup

Wait. What?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Wait. What?

I was thinking the same thing. :352nmsp:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Wait. What?

49 minutes ago, UTSwiinii said:

I was thinking the same thing. :352nmsp:

Lol. Should've been more clear. The rainstorm causes above normal temperatures across all regions of the northeast so the thread should technically end there. If it doesn't end up happening, I'll fix it.

gfs_T2ma_neus_10.thumb.png.ae17a700d676e2ab57c741c61a063385.png

• Like 2

Did some reading up on frost. I'll try to summarize it in the post as best as I can.

RGEM temperatures.

rgem_T2m_neus_18.thumb.png.0f2b717ed1495b1b8075c012b367569d.png

Frost ONLY occurs if the temperature is below freezing. So then, why would there be frost advisories throughout the interior Northeast?

2065183454_Screenshot2018-10-13at9_36_13PM.png.52f04d4a02a8d0b8d8dee08c1f972aa1.png

The reason is actually stated on the RGEM image posted above. It's a 2 meter temperature. On days with clear skies and little-to-no wind, the cold air will sink, leading to the temperature at ground level being lower than the 2 meter temperature. So what might appear to be a 35°F temperature at 2 meters high could be below freezing at the surface. This is why the frost advisories have been posted.

Source:
https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/fog_stuff/Dew_Frost/Dew_Frost.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lowest dew I have seen in many months, crisp and clear.

dew.PNG

We have been all green here with the tropical air masses, looking to go Fall colors rapidly this upcoming week. Already have 'rake the leaves' on my calender for next weekend.

download.jpg

• Like 4

NAM suddenly believing pockets of below freezing air will break out?! :352nmsp:. Intentionally slow GIF below.

nam3km_T2m_neus_fh1-14.thumb.gif.acea984bbce4bf4788b444da08d0ff77.gif

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Do I have to go out in this freezing weather in the middle of the ballgame and cover my flowers tonight? It was so damn cold all day and I had a feeling we would have frost tonight! You shouldn't go from a/c to heat in 24 hours...crap!!! We better not have frost or freeze, it is too early!!! :negative:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Solstice said:

NAM suddenly believing pockets of below freezing air will break out?! :352nmsp:. Intentionally slow GIF below.

nam3km_T2m_neus_fh1-14.thumb.gif.acea984bbce4bf4788b444da08d0ff77.gif

Not surprising considering the light winds and center of High over the East, some decent radiational cooling expected in the valleys and normally colder spots. West Hampton in the Pine Barrens looking at some upper 20's here on the Island.

nam_mslp_wind_us_1.png

• Like 1

Nice crisp 41 degrees in Beacon NY @ 11:20pm.

image.png

• Sad 1

Good news for mosquitoes:  the temperature is not falling here in Binghamton--in fact, in Ithaca and in Mount Pocono, PA; it has been rising. Of course, it started rising as soon as it hit 33. Mosquitoes love the number 33, but we humans love 32 and 31. Come on, thermometers, DROP!

Its 38 in Manchester CT where I am, hoping this coming Thursday to have our first freeze warning issued and not too long after that hopefully. ....SNOW!

• Like 2

The window is open and here I am in my undies, thinking about when our first snow storm will be on the radar...❤️

• Like 1