• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

Phased Vort

November 15-16, 2018 | East Coast Snow/Ice Storm

Solstice

An open album has been created in the historical weather gallery. Anyone can submit photos there, just to look back on later!

Message added by Solstice

Staff Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Enough bickering .. RGEM has answered our questions.

png1.thumb.png.b17974e1fe04073f704d92854cfcfae9.png

Hey I only get 2-4” on there, what gives?

• Confused 1
  • Wow! 1

5 minutes ago, Solstice said:

I imagine this GIF as trying to squeeze out toothpaste from a near-empty tube.

nam3km_T850_neus_fh0-48.thumb.gif.705c849d8fe96d47c6f1abf046538fab.gif

Its a shame models are locked into the normal surface,925,850,700, 500 there is a sneaky area around 800mb that comes in then the whole area from 800-700mb pushes rather warm on the models. But nice fronto region from about 6z friday on moving ENE that should be fun to watch come through central PA and into NE

Edited by so_whats_happening

8 minutes ago, Goalie24 said:

Its nov, and coming during the day.  Idk your area, but expecting 5-9" before Thanksgiving is setting yourself up for disappointment.  

Be happy with whatever you get, its bonus snow

No - We were talking about the elevations of Central PA and the Poconos. I was saying 2-4" *there* is really low and 5-9" was more realistic. I agree with you on how early it is and was stressing that point just a few weeks ago to folks myself but my entire region has seen 5-9" of snow before TGives quite a few times. This would be nothing historic. The 8-12"+ Nam/Euro totals would be but those have been explained by members on here tonight. 

Yes, anything from 4 or 5"+ before Thanksgiving is definitely bonus snow and an early jump on the season. 

Edited by 90sBlizzards

7 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Its a shame models are locked into the normal surface,925,850,700, 500 there is a sneaky area around 800mb that comes in then the whole area from 800-700mb pushes rather warm on the models. But nice fronto region from about 6z friday on moving ENE that should be fun to watch come through central PA and into NE

Yep...850-700 is critical for sleet. 

Where is everybody?  I thought this place would be buzzing with our first winter storm.

I'll check in again in the morning. I think this CAD is gonna surprise a lot of folks. It's gonna be hard to push it out with such a tight gradient until the low comes up and through. We'll see. Radar is looking impressive as well. IMO its gonna thump. 

page topper - which means mother nature agrees :classic_cool:

Edited by WeatherFlash
  • Like 2

Do all storms go NW?!:classic_blink:?   One of those rare cases we don’t want it to 

Ears hurt feel like popping, pressure is high and one can notice it.

Clear

32°F | 0°C

Humidity    45%
Wind Speed    N 12 mph
Barometer    30.58 in (1035.5 mb)
Dewpoint    13°F (-11°C)
Visibility    10.00 mi
Wind Chill    23°F (-5°C)
Last update    14 Nov 9:53 pm EST

1 minute ago, PlanetMaster said:

Ears hurt feel like popping, pressure is high and one can notice it.

Clear

32°F | 0°C

Humidity    45%
Wind Speed    N 12 mph
Barometer    30.58 in (1035.5 mb)
Dewpoint    13°F (-11°C)
Visibility    10.00 mi
Wind Chill    23°F (-5°C)
Last update    14 Nov 9:53 pm EST

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Now my ears feel strange.  I probably look like :yikes-mouse: now.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Do all storms go NW?!:classic_blink:?   One of those rare cases we don’t want it to 

No that’s reserved for stronger phasing storms that can possibly get captured  etc etc

Edited by Poconosnow

My fake knee hurts. Something wicked this way comes.:classic_ninja:

• Haha 1

Anyone in here from Capital Region in NY?

Radar looks thumpy

Cold air, low dps

29/20

Should be a fun morning. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Poconosnow said:

Hey I only get 2-4” on there, what gives?

Not surprising, you changed your name from Pocono Snow to Poconos Now. :classic_wink:.

• Haha 2

current feels, Got the wood stove rolling and bourbon in my glass

35*

22DP

Hoping here between the mtns that cold air stays, however, ill take 4" before turkey day! 

QPF says 1.6" Mean, Total SNO 4".  man, thats a lot of zr/sleet........however, the latest HRRR Runs and even the NAM runs have consistently shown cooler 850's and sfc temps...the unrealistic me says man its gonna snow like a ft.........back to reality...

Just now, Solstice said:

Not surprising, you changed your name from Pocono Snow to Poconos Now. :classic_wink:.

Ouch. That hurt.

Dew temperature just went down to 9.6°F, marking the first time it has gone into the single digits this season.

1 minute ago, Solstice said:

Poconos No w

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 90sBlizzards said:

Are you serious? The posts are up there still, of course. There's no reason to have an argument but you specifically blamed the snow maps being overdone for snow for PA/NYS on them considering all frozen precip snow. How on earth are you confused here? If you think the snow totals are overdone for central PA due to frozen precip that's not snow - what frozen precip could it be if not sleet? A few inches of freezing rain? Think about what you're saying. Really not sure why you would become hostile with me when you're clearly very confused about all of this. 

You are far and away the most hostile poster on this forum. I am a lurker and do not contribute but as an onlooker i value @poconosnow's informative posts far more than yours

• Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Radar looks thumpy

Cold air, low dps

29/20

Should be a fun morning. 

28/20 here :)  Bout time to hit the hay .. the sooner I go to sleep, the sooner the storm gets here.

• Haha 1

I’m looking forward to tomorrow. About one inch of snow of forcasted in my town before it changes over to rain. I’m hoping that this storm is going to be one of those “surprise overperforming snowstorms”. We will see.

Trying to remember from past years, the GFS is a long range model, correct and should put to much into the model at this timeframe.  But isn't this indicative of the storm further northwest?  North/central PA up through central NY only benefits with this.  I know this area is suppose to get the most snow, but previous models extended down through central PA.  Southeast PA appears to be warm.  Thoughts?

snku_acc.us_ne.png

Temp has been dropping pretty good

down 1.5 degrees in about 30 minutes

66%

Can't sleep until I see the CMC.

Don't judge me.

• Haha 1