Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Latest odds and storm events for the holidays tracked

Phased Vort

December 5, 2018 | Light Snow Disturbance

Staff Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, risingriver said:

Flurrying fanatically in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. A couple of students who went to the bathroom during class had to announce it to their classmates. Now the storm is in my classroom with distracted kids all wanting to go visit the restroom so they can stare out the window and hopelessly hope for enough stickage for an early dismissal. I've been doing my Dana Carvey impersonation of President Bush "NOT GONNA HAPPEN!" for about 10 minutes now. :)

Students be like: The_Wish_Casting_Monkey Teachers be like: :forumsmiley1311-1:

"You act like you're never seen snow before!  Come on - we have work to do!"

<students continue to wriggle and giggle and peek>

<teacher bangs head slowly on desk>

Yup...been there.

Temp right around freezing, cloudy skies as the middle school children leave for the day, leaving their teachers in some peace and quiet.

Highly scientific measurement IMBY...

Flakes are small but still falling at a good clip. 

5BD916D4-B6FF-460A-BDEB-6D651F8BB05A.jpeg

• Like 3

Atlantic City looking pretty snowy at the moment...

1491932678_Screenshot2018-12-05at4_16_48PM.thumb.png.d1f85d9a938f454a7bea4109fdd6d0fd.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solstice said:

Atlantic City looking pretty snowy at the moment...

1491932678_Screenshot2018-12-05at4_16_48PM.thumb.png.d1f85d9a938f454a7bea4109fdd6d0fd.png

Not a whole lot accumulated on the water, though :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Just now, RobB said:

Not a whole lot accumulated on the water, though :classic_biggrin:

Darn sun angle at it again...

• Haha 3

Couple of webcams.

Burlington Church Street Marketplace.

Spoiler

Mad River Glen. POWDER.

Spoiler

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

7.5" maximum when Mount Holly refused to issue a WWA earlier because the model-predicted snow totals were "well below advisory level"... :forumsmiley1641-1:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Solstice said:

7.5" maximum when Mount Holly refused to issue a WWA earlier because the model-predicted snow totals were "well below advisory level"... :forumsmiley1641-1:

Yeah, once they reach 4 or 5 inches, something should have been issued :hmm:

25F here with light snow falling most of the day.   The snow rate picked up after sundown and we are now approaching the very fluffy 1 inch mark.  It was a great night for me.  Went to Middlebury to watch the new Warren Miller ski flick and won a season's pass to Smuggler's Notch.  Then drove home through nice falling snow.  The snow added to the ski movie ambiance.  

Oh wow! I didn't realize that a surprise snowstorm happened down in South Jersey until now! :classic_blink:

9 hours ago, Solstice said:

This is nuts indeed.

It´s like the model snowfall output was the word of God. :classic_mellow:

It was an odd event in Pittsburgh yesterday as snowfall totals were pretty localized overall. When driving through Downtown, the North Hills, and East End, you kept going back and forth between areas that had up to an inch on the ground to places that barley had anything. Some places just had localized banding that moved slowly and helped them while others stayed out of them and had snow that wasn't heavy enough to stick well. Fortunately I live (for now) in one of the areas that has the close to an inch on the ground :P

• Like 1

I had ~4 separate snow showers that resulted in a quick dusting of snow Wednesday, but it mostly melted between showers so total accumulation was just a dusting. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:30 AM, bradjl2009 said:

It was an odd event in Pittsburgh yesterday as snowfall totals were pretty localized overall. When driving through Downtown, the North Hills, and East End, you kept going back and forth between areas that had up to an inch on the ground to places that barley had anything. Some places just had localized banding that moved slowly and helped them while others stayed out of them and had snow that wasn't heavy enough to stick well. Fortunately I live (for now) in one of the areas that has the close to an inch on the ground :P

My cousin lives in the South Side Slopes...she loves her 100 year old steel-workers house and her neighborhood, despite the tons of repairs she's had to do to the place. She's a transplant from Lancaster County, via NYC and Boston, and she's made Pittsburgh her home, she really enjoys the city!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lynniethelurker said:

My cousin lives in the South Side Slopes...she loves her 100 year old steel-workers house and her neighborhood, despite the tons of repairs she's had to do to the place. She's a transplant from Lancaster County, via NYC and Boston, and she's made Pittsburgh her home, she really enjoys the city!

Great choice for a neighborhood in the city! I love how unique the topography and layout of it is. It really in way feels more like a European mountain village than a neighborhood in urban America. It's not right in the action of the South Side, but it's quite close and is close to Downtown and Oakland as well. Being up the hill, they can do better with snow in marginal events than the valley locations just below them too.

Edited by bradjl2009
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bradjl2009 said:

Great choice for a neighborhood in the city! I love how unique the topography and layout of it. It really in way feels more like a European mountain village than a neighborhood in urban America. It's not right in the action of the South Side, but it's quite close and is close to Downtown and Oakland as well. Being up the hill, they can do better than the valley locations just below them too.

I haven't been out there yet, but have checked it out on google earth...you're right, the topography is amazing! Hard to believe some of those old places haven't slid down the hill by now! She had to replace her retaining wall which cost an arm and a leg. I had no idea how steep a grade she was on until she sent pics. Unfortunately, she totalled her car last winter in a few inches of icy snow near her house. She said the roads were pretty much untreated in her area! Gotta get out there sometime!!

On 12/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, lynniethelurker said:

I haven't been out there yet, but have checked it out on google earth...you're right, the topography is amazing! Hard to believe some of those old places haven't slid down the hill by now! She had to replace her retaining wall which cost an arm and a leg. I had no idea how steep a grade she was on until she sent pics. Unfortunately, she totalled her car last winter in a few inches of icy snow near her house. She said the roads were pretty much untreated in her area! Gotta get out there sometime!!

It's definitely a city to check out and probably only a three and a half hour drive front Lancaster County I'd imagine! Pittsburgh is certainly one of the hilliest cities in the country and actually is home the steepest street in the country I believe. It doesn't take much snow with the hills here for things to get dicey at all!

Edited by bradjl2009
  • Like 1