• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Christmas?

Tracking latest odds and possible events for the holidays

shaulov4

December 8-10, 2018 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

I love a good snow as much as the next - but I'll tell you what, the ground here is still too soggy in many places from so much heavy precip this fall. So we're lucky to have it miss us..

It’s still too soggy here too. Mud was ankle deep before this little December blessing. Just means there’s water in the well, right? And that’s a good thing.

ooh. My first page topper.

”I keep trying to watch Inception, but I keep falling asleep.”

Edited by APFarm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, APFarm said:

It’s still too soggy here too. Mud was ankle deep before this little December blessing. Just means there’s water in the well, right? And that’s a good thing.

Yeah really looking forward to the late week mud storm. 

Well, we over performed in the rain department, i think most of the rain has stopped at the gauge reads 2.74”... And 2 of my 5 snow flakes total that i had as christmas decorations blew apart and broke in the storm... now i’m down to three out of five snowflakes. >_>

Also, did you see the latest GFS? Hour 384 shows a white christmas imby!!??  

;)

Edited by Qdeathstar

I am enjoying reading about the awesome snow totals down in Virginia and North Carolina.  We had our big storm in March 2017 (and a good storm last month as well), so it is good that the South is getting in on the action this time around.

NAM not much better 48 hours out.  Both the GFS and NAM missed much of the VA snowfall.

NamBad.png

EURO 48 hours out not so good either.

EuroOff.png

Actually looks like the CMC 48 hours out and RGEM 36 hours out did well.

CMCGood.png

RGEMGood.png

Never got to  post this last night but here is a small bit of the storm. We ended up with between  4 and 5 inches. Not bad since it did not start snowing till 1 and the hard bands were late in the day. 

As I look outside this morning I thought, boy that sure escalated quickly. Finished with nearly 14 inches. Thanks to all who stuck around. No doubt you’ll all have yours this winter. If this is our big one for the winter, I’ll take it.

Also adding in the nighttime pic for comparison. Started snowing lightly at 8am and didn’t stop once until it slowed down around 8pm. Haven’t seen flakes that big down here in quite some time.

7F411A23-4031-4CCC-979E-27B18D04C084.jpeg

Edited by RVARam
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, RVARam said:

As I look outside this morning I thought, boy that sure escalated quickly. Finished with nearly 14 inches. Thanks to all who stuck around. No doubt you’ll all have yours this winter. If this is our big one for the winter, I’ll take it. 

I was curious to what is being reported as the official Richmond, VA total.   I saw the Richmond Times saying trained spotters in Richmond reporting 8 - 11" but that was early Sunday evening when the snow was still falling. 

https://www.richmond.com/weather/evening-update-this-was-richmond-s-biggest-snowstorm-so-early/article_ce67059a-573f-55d7-8aba-5c238f440a10.html 

45 minutes ago, paletitsnow63 said:

I was curious to what is being reported as the official Richmond, VA total.   I saw the Richmond Times saying trained spotters in Richmond reporting 8 - 11" but that was early Sunday evening when the snow was still falling. 

https://www.richmond.com/weather/evening-update-this-was-richmond-s-biggest-snowstorm-so-early/article_ce67059a-573f-55d7-8aba-5c238f440a10.html 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSAKQ&e=201812101507 here’s the updated report AKQ just posted. Worth noting for city of Richmond is the official 11.5” measured at the airport, which is the second snowiest calendar December day on record. Believe 1908 has the #1 spot. Edit: lol, yea mentioned in the article.

Edited by RVARam
  • Like 1

Quote from a recap on the storm in the Roanoke Times:

"One quick stat of note, locally: Roanoke's official 15 inches is the third most snow that has ever fallen on a single calendar day, dating to 1912, trailing only 20 inches on Jan. 10, 1921, and 15.4 on Feb. 13, 1960. That's a bit of a tricky stat, because so many of our bigger and most memorable snowstorms -- 1993, 1996, 2009 and 2014 come to mind -- are divided more evenly over 2 calendar days. But just one small indicator of a regionally historic winter storm. "

https://www.roanoke.com/weather/a-mighty-winter-storm-winds-down/article_808a8d32-fc26-11e8-90b9-2b8545cd3508.html

• Like 2

I know I'm a day late But Charlottesville/north Albemarle got about 10 inches. I didn't have a blackout from the forum but I got the email. Signed up as soon as I realized accuweather was gone but never posted before. Thank you guys!!! I told all my people to expect more than the local news forecasted because of your helpful knowledge and model forecasts. You guys rock!!