Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Major Winter Storm

Big snow maker to cross country into this weekend, join the conversation!

Cignus

An Explanation for Moshe...

Staff Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Moshe from brooklyn said:

I Dont know if this is the right place to ask but ill try. I remember with the accuweather forums it was very helpful to me to see the location of any poster if the member entered it right on the post next to their name. Is there a way an administrator or someone higher up can do that? I liked to see where the poster is located without having to click and type on their info. Was very helpful to me. Overall this site is great and im really happy to be a part of it. 

Hi Moshe,

It's kind of the right place, but isn't, this forum | Site Usage Guides | where you presently are would of been better, let me explain. A post like yours has a distracting effect to the continuity of the thread's subject. I saw PM suggest a forum to ask questions like yours but I'm not sure if this is where he meant and I lost the post where he mentioned it.

I'll agree it is helpful if the members have their location (Locale) listed under their avatar, it gives a sense of how the storm(s) may affect their area and as you have done you added yours to your avatar through your profile. I'm using Elysium Planitia because of the recent inSight Mars Landing.

At first almost everyone had their hometown listed in their locale but when the recent spam attack hit accuweather I noticed a majority of members decided to omit their location, read the link about the attack and the link at the top within PM's thread.

An Admin or even a Mod could add the locale, but it is a personal choice that I believe they would rather stay out of. Give it some time and I think members will come around when the shock wears off.

I hear you. Thank you just used to seeing right there the location of a poster. It helps while reading the post. I dont know much about computers so im confused about attacks and viruses but ill leave that to the professional's like yourself. Anyways thanks for the info. Hopefully 1 day it will be done.

7 minutes ago, Cignus said:

Hi Moshe,

It's kind of the right place, but isn't, this forum | Site Usage Guides | where you presently are would of been better, let me explain. A post like yours has a distracting effect to the continuity of the thread's subject. I saw PM suggest a forum to ask questions like yours but I'm not sure if this is where he meant and I lost the post where he mentioned it.

I'll agree it is helpful if the members have their location (Locale) listed under their avatar, it gives a sense of how the storm(s) may affect their area and as you have done you added yours to your avatar through your profile. I'm using Elysium Planitia because of the recent inSight Mars Landing.

At first almost everyone had their hometown listed in their locale but when the recent spam attack hit accuweather I noticed a majority of members decided to omit their location, read the link about the attack and the link at the top within PM's thread.

An Admin or even a Mod could add the locale, but it is a personal choice that I believe they would rather stay out of. Give it some time and I think members will come around when the shock wears off.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was wondering why so many dropped their locale. Its definitely necessary to know where a poster is from to understand their point of view, but more so when they say its snowing out, but their locale is Mars.   Then what happens is everyone asks where they are and it distracts from the thread.  I would think that if posters could at least narrow it down to a county or region of a state if they are uncomfortable with a specific town.   

Adding a location is optional not required and some members choose not to and thats their right. Closed