Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

Poconosnow

December 23-25, 2018 | Christmas Light Snow

Staff Recommended Posts

Ugh...boxing day blizzard of 2010. Ended up with 32-33" on that one in NJ. What an event. Jackpotted that one.

Linden is right between Rahway and Elizabeth which had the official highest recorded totals for that storm.

...UNION COUNTY...
   RAHWAY                32.0  1000 AM 12/27  PUBLIC
   ELIZABETH             31.8   700 AM 12/27  TRAINED SPOTTER
7 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Well I mean if this winter wants to keep pace with '02-'03...it needs to deliver two monster noreasters christmas week, including one christmas eve/day...

Edited by PA Snow 84

1 hour ago, PA Snow 84 said:

Ugh...boxing day blizzard of 2010. Ended up with 32-33" on that one in NJ. What an event. Jackpotted that one.

Linden is right between Rahway and Elizabeth which had the official highest recorded totals for that storm.

...UNION COUNTY...

Both events make the list...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/christmas-day-snow-past-memorable/39422255

Albany office discussion of the two events

Doubled-Barrel Nor'easters (December 25-26, 2002 & January 3-4, 2003)

Unprecedented back to back snowstorms buried parts of the Northeast during the Christmas and New Years 2002-2003  holiday season.  Both storms produced over 20 inches of snow in Albany. During the Fall and early Winter an active subtropical jet stream had helped produced an active storm track up the Atlantic Seaboard. The first storm on Christmas Day was the biggest snowstorm since the “Superstorm” of 1993. 21” of snow reported at Albany with 6-16 inches in western New England and considerable blowing and drifting. The New York State Thruway was closed between the cities of Catskill and Syracuse. Many stranded in the Albany International Airport on Christmas Night as flights were cancelled. The second storm produced 20.8 inches of snow at Albany. It was the first time since 1887-88 that two storms of more than 20 inches were recorded at Albany during the same winter. The second storm combined with ice left on trees from an ice storm that occurred January 1-2 to bring down numerous trees and bring many power outages. The December 25-26 nor'easter is one the greatest snowstorms for December and greatest ever; while the January 3-4 nor'easter is the 2nd greatest snowstorm for January and also one of the greatest ever for Albany. The winter of 2002-03 is the 3rd snowiest on record for Albany with 105.4 inches.

December 26-27, 2010: Nor'Easter

A major nor'easter brought significant snows and blizzard conditions to much of the northeastern United States Sunday, December 26th into Monday, December 27th. Bands of heavy snow withsnowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches an hour occurred across the region.  Snowfall totals of 1 to 2 feet occurred mainly east of the Hudson River and across adjacent western New England. Explosive deepening (cyclogenesis) occurred Sunday night as the low moved northward toward Long Island. Snowfall amounts dropped off dramatically to the northwest of the Capital District. Strong and gusty winds caused significant blowing and drifting of the snow. Winds gusts across the local area were 35 to 45 mph with gusts of 50 to 70 mph reported across southeastern New York, Connecticut and eastern Massachusetts. NESISCategory 3 - Major

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: GFS is arollin.

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Both events make the list...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/christmas-day-snow-past-memorable/39422255

Albany office discussion of the two events

Doubled-Barrel Nor'easters (December 25-26, 2002 & January 3-4, 2003)

Unprecedented back to back snowstorms buried parts of the Northeast during the Christmas and New Years 2002-2003  holiday season.  Both storms produced over 20 inches of snow in Albany. During the Fall and early Winter an active subtropical jet stream had helped produced an active storm track up the Atlantic Seaboard. The first storm on Christmas Day was the biggest snowstorm since the “Superstorm” of 1993. 21” of snow reported at Albany with 6-16 inches in western New England and considerable blowing and drifting. The New York State Thruway was closed between the cities of Catskill and Syracuse. Many stranded in the Albany International Airport on Christmas Night as flights were cancelled. The second storm produced 20.8 inches of snow at Albany. It was the first time since 1887-88 that two storms of more than 20 inches were recorded at Albany during the same winter. The second storm combined with ice left on trees from an ice storm that occurred January 1-2 to bring down numerous trees and bring many power outages. The December 25-26 nor'easter is one the greatest snowstorms for December and greatest ever; while the January 3-4 nor'easter is the 2nd greatest snowstorm for January and also one of the greatest ever for Albany. The winter of 2002-03 is the 3rd snowiest on record for Albany with 105.4 inches.

December 26-27, 2010: Nor'Easter

A major nor'easter brought significant snows and blizzard conditions to much of the northeastern United States Sunday, December 26th into Monday, December 27th. Bands of heavy snow withsnowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches an hour occurred across the region.  Snowfall totals of 1 to 2 feet occurred mainly east of the Hudson River and across adjacent western New England. Explosive deepening (cyclogenesis) occurred Sunday night as the low moved northward toward Long Island. Snowfall amounts dropped off dramatically to the northwest of the Capital District. Strong and gusty winds caused significant blowing and drifting of the snow. Winds gusts across the local area were 35 to 45 mph with gusts of 50 to 70 mph reported across southeastern New York, Connecticut and eastern Massachusetts. NESISCategory 3 - Major

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: GFS is arollin.

The 2010 storm was maybe the most impressive storm i've seen drift-wise. Snow drifts were well over our SUV in South Jersey. One of the more impressive "Christmas" snows in recent memory.

It'll be all about timing the moisture and the cold air. Always has been, always will be.  Great initial post, Poc. Lots of time to watch the pieces on this one come into play. A white Christmas would be nice, but unlikely when I'll spend mine in Virginia Beach. Had one in 1989 when the OBX got 2 feet in a Christmas Eve blizzard, but all the snow wound up in the roadside ditches because of the intense winds. Was literally nothing in the yard.

A couple years back Virginia Beach saw Bay Effect snow bands for an inch or so. Doubt it'll be that cold if the AO isn't tanking off the charts, however.

Heck, my home county of Spotsylvania is on day 3 of no school - therefore no work for me - after our 6-8 inches from this past Sunday.  Off topic, but how far out can the BSR method go to indicate potential stormy periods in a month? Am already interested in January events here.

1 hour ago, PA Snow 84 said:

...UNION COUNTY...

That storm brushed the coastal towns.  We want a more in depth storm lol 

Folks, the last few posts have been a bit off-topic, right?

12z gfs still showing a storm signal for Xmas day.   That’s all we can ask for being this far out.  I’d like to see the northern energy drop south into the developing storm.   instead it slides it to the east into a Miller B for New England.  Plenty of time though. 

Edited by PA road DAWG

We got what, another 2 days before you throw the towel :classic_tongue:

14 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

12z gfs still showing a storm signal for Xmas day.   That’s all we can ask for being this far out.  I’d like to see the northern energy drop south into the developing storm.   instead it slides it to the east into a Miller B for New England.  Plenty of time though. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PA Snow 84 said:

We got what, another 2 days before you throw the towel :classic_tongue:

Haha hey relax.  So far I’m batting .1000 with my towel throwing.  1 for 1 

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • Like 2

Looking at FV3 at hr240...gotta think it's gonna be throwing a doozy at us...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, telejunkie said:

Some kind of doozy.

But it has the looks of an inland low pressure. We will see.

It this time frame may suffer the same issues, with possibly two events within this time frame or very near it.

1 minute ago, Phased Vort said:

Some kind of doozy.

It this time frame may suffer the same issues, with possibly two events within this time frame or very near it.

Like one for the 23 and 24th and another one for the 25 and 26.

1 minute ago, Phased Vort said:

Some kind of doozy.

haha...i'm dissected one run way too much here...but agree, height rise out in front has that look

Since this is just in the planning stages, I would like to put in my request for just enough snow to be pretty for the Va beach area, but not enough to shut anything down.  I am trying to plan a trip to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, and getting stuck in traffic in bad weather is not really sounding like a lot of fun.

There´s a storm for this time frame that is an inland storm and then another storm offshore for the 26th.

Later on, this will need to be addressed for this thread, just like it will need to be done for the 19-21 thread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Booorring...ends up just washing almost all of that energy out. But then looks like it wants to go big in the next timeframe. Fun times ahead!

Lot's of activity during this time frame. I think I counted three (3) separate waves from the 24th - 26th. Something is certainly brewing.  

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_55.png

Something big brewing around 12/25-26.  Both gfs and gfv3 showing it along w the gfs Ensembles as well. Exciting times ahead 

• Like 1

Epo tanking as well indicating cold air should be around the northeast 

• Like 2

I would highly suggest we wait for some model consensus before going down the same road we did at the beginning of the month.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jdrenken said:

I would highly suggest we wait for some model consensus before going down the same road we did at the beginning of the month.

What, you're saying this isn't sure thing? :classic_laugh:

3 minutes ago, jdrenken said:

Well of course, but the whole point of being here is to talk about it in the leadtime

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PA road DAWG said:

Well of course, but the whole point of being here is to talk about it in the leadtime

And to have a running history on how it progressed one day to the next. I could horde all the model images to myself, but that would be no fun.  And sharing is caring after all. 

But I'll again point out that a) not getting too involved in 10+ day events with in depth play by plays and b) these events are fluid and may not fall within the generous time period allowed. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

"talk" in here is more.... Prognostication

• Haha 1