Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

ohiobuckeye45

December 23rd-25th Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, buckeyegal said:

Nice write-up from ILN concerning this possible White Christmas inducer (I agree with you, Rob, about the definitions of such)..

"Christmas Day - progressive shortwave trough will spread forcing for ascent from IL/IN mainly along/north of the Ohio River into the forecast area after sunrise on Christmas Day. Vertical motion signal has been rather consistent if not a little stronger in recent runs, lending confidence that precipitation chances will need to increase (which they were a little for this forecast), and could need increased further still in upcoming forecasts, especially along/north of I-70. While this shortwave will be shearing/losing amplitude as it zips through the Ohio Valley /owing to subtle confluent flow downstream/, a band of elevated forcing seems likely to drive an area of precipitation across the northern half of the forecast area in the morning into the afternoon. Moisture analysis /using NAM/GFS forecast soundings at DAY/AOH/CMH as proxy/ suggests mid-level saturation will quickly commence with lower levels taking some time. Temperature profile indicates much of the sounding will be below freezing with ice nuclei activated in the mid levels - though all soundings show a near/above 0C layer in the lowest 1km. While some hydrometeors falling through this layer would likely melt before reaching the surface /rain-snow mix/, the overall wet-bulb profile suggests that as saturation works top-down with increasing forcing for ascent, a period of all-snow seems possible if not likely, with potential for a wet coating to 0.5" across west central or central Ohio. PWPF plumes confirm this possibility - with an increase in number of members indicating <1" accumulation possible north of the Ohio River, but particularly from Dayton/Columbus to the north."

Pretty extensive for such an event, but given it's on Christmas day I'm sure they are just so enthused as we are about the prospects 

• Like 2

The dome is broken! Got flurries IMBY!!!

Edited by FortySixAnd32
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

The 00z suite flipped the switch weaker and south (weaker than it already was lol) hopefully goes back 

6z suite was much the same. The GFS almost lost it entirely, pushing it south and lightening it up; but NAM is still hanging in across some of Ohio. I would just love some mood flakes like we had last night. Don't care about accumulation. :)

Well, I hope you guys in central OH get some snow tomorrow, even though I worry it will be too warm to support flakes at the surface.  Merry Christmas to all and good luck with this one.  Folks further south will have to wait a bit, but that wait may end up being well worth it......... :cheers:

The Christmas Eve full moon is absolutely beautiful! Would be nice to see some flurries falling in that moonlit sky!

Getting some flakes for about half an hour. It is sticking to roofs and driveways!

im happy with the flurries and sticking to driveways and roofs. merry christmas y'all 

So much for it not sticking because it will be too warm and I doubt we will get frozen precipitation!! Very excited for a white Christmas. 60C515B9-67B8-4EF8-9202-D2CB6BF80D07.thumb.jpeg.0726f7db508098636fc85400921c3fcd.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ak9971 said:

So much for it not sticking because it will be too warm and I doubt we will get frozen precipitation!! Very excited for a white Christmas. 60C515B9-67B8-4EF8-9202-D2CB6BF80D07.thumb.jpeg.0726f7db508098636fc85400921c3fcd.jpeg

Technically it might not be a white Christmas but it's good enough for me. Still lightly snowing here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak9971 said:

Very happy to see your Christmas Day dusting.  

A couple shots from this morning's snow.  One shot was at my in laws, and the other from my back deck camera. Ended up with around 1/3rd of an inch before it melted.  Coincided with present opening at my in laws :)

image.thumb.png.5f3e3dff2ad328645116378ae89ef64a.pngimage.png.a4c22ed6d9af62de00a9eed8fc8346b6.png

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

9 minutes ago, RobB said:

A couple shots from this morning's snow.  One shot was at my in laws, and the other from my back deck camera. Ended up with around 1/3rd of an inch before it melted.  Coincided with present opening at my in laws :)

image.thumb.png.5f3e3dff2ad328645116378ae89ef64a.pngimage.png.a4c22ed6d9af62de00a9eed8fc8346b6.png

Awesome! Happy for those who got the snow.  Dry air was an issue down this way, but no big deal.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CincySnow said:

Awesome! Happy for those who got the snow.  Dry air was an issue down this way, but no big deal.  

Thanks.  Merry Christmas!

54 minutes ago, RobB said:

That is too bad it melted so fast.  

46 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

Why is it too bad? 

1 hour ago, Thundersnow said:

Doesn't bother me.  Knew this small event was preceding a warmup for days.  Very nice to see on Christmas!

• Like 3

Yay Ohio Christmas snow! I had flurries and I was positively thrilled. :)

• Like 2