Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

snowlover2

Dec. 31-Jan.2 Potential Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

Probably will be some mood flakes mixing with raindrops for New Years eve. As long as it's not 60* and heavy rain like a couple of years ago i'm all set.

3 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

That is the storm for the 30-31 thread.

This is confusing seeing that the title of this thread says 31-2. 

8 minutes ago, chicagosnow said:

This is confusing seeing that the title of this thread says 31-2. 

Im confused as well. The disappearing storm that was on the models until recently is from the 30-31 period while this one was for the rainer being modeled atm. AKA the cutoff's eventual ejection from the deep SW. Yes it did show a snowstorm earlier in the week but now is not the case.

Edited by junior

If a mod wants to combine the 2 threads, be my guest. Honestly from watching the model runs it seemed like the 30-31 storm showed up and got stronger and more north while the storm from this thread disappeared.

3 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

If a mod wants to combine the 2 threads, be my guest. Honestly from watching the model runs it seemed like the 30-31 storm showed up and got stronger and more north while the storm from this thread disappeared.

But the storm that disappeared comes before the strong rainer.

I think this storm will produce atleast for areas south of the current plains snowpack... and then we slowly move south.

I shouldn't get interested, but I am. Temps in N IL are around 33° Monday morning and, while this would suck majorly, cold air isn't far away. Could get interesting and there's literally nothing else to be excited about. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 10.25.31 PM.png

0z GFS. Definitely south, much further south, with the low......but warmer of course. Still gets flakes into Chicago. I haven't even seen real actual snowflakes since November. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 10.33.52 PM.png

Edited by chicagosnow

The cold air is so close yet so far. I hope the precip just stays out of N IL b/c I don't want any more rain. 

NAM giving parts of IA, WI, and MI some love. 

Also really producing a lot of snow in MN and the Dakotas. Is this just a wave up there or what? Northern stream energy that isn't phasing with the storm? 

Screenshot_1.jpg

1 hour ago, chicagosnow said:

NAM giving parts of IA, WI, and MI some love. 

Also really producing a lot of snow in MN and the Dakotas. Is this just a wave up there or what? Northern stream energy that isn't phasing with the storm? 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Pretty much just holding hands and not really phasing too much.

The 0z GFS showing a bit of snow on the NW side. I need this thing to phase and give me some darn snow! I'm gettin' desperate!!

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 9.57.07 PM.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

Might as well go for broke

FB_IMG_1546049689559.jpg

gfs_apcpn_ncus_13.png

When you’re that close it would be a shame to not get it. In fact I’d be pretty upset 😂😂😂

Looking at that list I remember that year so vividly. It started of super wet. I remember I think it was in February when the river was experiencing so serious flooding. Temps were in the upper 60’s and just trains of storms just kept rolling in. And that pattern kept up through the summer. I’ve never seen a record obliterated quite like that. Wonder if it’ll ever be matched.

• Like 1

High winds and saturated soils don’t make for a good combo.  Already 70K+ without power in NE and NC OH.

Sure hope I can dodge this one outage. Just getting over some ~8 hr bug, that I would wish upon no one, that curtailed my plans for the day.

Just now, Hiramite said:

High winds and saturated soils don’t make for a good combo.  Already 70K+ without power in NE and NC OH.

Sure hope I can dodge this one outage. Just getting over some ~8 hr bug, that I would wish upon no one, that curtailed my plans for the day.

2nd night in 3 I've physically heard my woods losing trees

3 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

2nd night in 3 I've physically heard my woods losing trees

Scary stuff for sure!!  Got a woodburner?

I experienced a ~70mph macro/microburst last Nov. in which I could hear trees popping in the woods that surround the house. Never do I want go through that again.  Neighbor across the street lost about 50 mature trees.

Sorry for taking so long on the OBS tag!

6 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Scary stuff for sure!!  Got a woodburner?

I experienced a ~70mph macro/microburst last Nov. in which I could hear trees popping in the woods that surround the house. Never do I want go through that again.  Neighbor across the street lost about 50 mature trees.

Sure do haha