Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

snowlover2

Dec. 31-Jan.2 Potential Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

My parents are up at their cottage in northern lower MI & my dad just sent me this photo...9" of fresh powder = perfect snowmobile conditions. I'm jealous!

snow1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it! 2

I had a glaze of ice on my windshield this morning.  Was the most epic overnight drizzle ever :classic_mellow:

• Like 1

Unexpected overnight crush job here.  Biggest by far the entire year!!!  :classic_smile:

8D44CF0C-CC1F-4A84-B736-F8950882E117.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can someone explain what a cut-off low is? It's been mentioned several times in this thread, and I think I understand the general concept.. but would love a more detailed definition. Does it literally mean that it has no support and therefore can't pull down the cold air?

Edited by buckeyegal

11 minutes ago, buckeyegal said:

Can someone explain what a cut-off low is? It's been mentioned several times in this thread, and I think I understand the general concept.. but would love a more detailed definition. Does it literally mean that it has no support and therefore can't pull down the cold air?

From NOAA:

A closed upper-level low which has become completely displaced (cut off) from basic westerly current, and moves independently of that current. Cutoff lows may remain nearly stationary for days, or on occasion may move westward opposite to the prevailing flow aloft (i.e., retrogression). 

"Cutoff low" and "closed low" often are used interchangeably to describe low pressure centers aloft. However, not all closed lows are completely removed from the influence of the basic westerlies. Therefore, the recommended usage of the terms is to reserve the use of "cutoff low" only to those closed lows which clearly are detached completely from the westerlies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

From NOAA:

Thank you! Could’ve googled but I figured someone had it handy. 😊