Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

MidMichiganWX

December 27-28, 2018 | Potential Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chicagosnow said:

I can't even manage excitement for this one. Not yet at least. Not this December. 

It's a rainer for our area

as cringe worthy as yet another soaker is, which will push us over the all-time yearly precipitation record....yard flooded....pond flooded....woods flooded. This storm is probably the power storm flush out we need to reset the stagnant pattern we're in

Edited by ohiobuckeye45

1 hour ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

as cringe worthy as yet another soaker is, which will push us over the all-time yearly precipitation record....yard flooded....pond flooded....woods flooded. This storm is probably the power storm flush out we need to reset the stagnant pattern we're in

Yeah that's amazing. ORD has been wet this year with 47" so far. Interesting comparing Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati precip.records. Cincinnati with 73" in 2011 kind of blows away the curve.

Even though 0Z brings a few more flakes to my area would rather see the 18Z solution work out and give areas NW a good storm. 

Screenshot_20181220-223607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181220-224110_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow, this is brutal.  I really hope we get some arctic air at some point.  Late December maps looking like this...yikes.

Really unsure which thread is relevant for the Dec 29-30 time frame when the NAM shows an energetic shortwave entering the southern plains. Since the system is moisture starved, I expect snow will be the predominant precipitation type. As a result, I anticipate winter weather advisories from the TX panhandle northeast into the lakes. Without getting into the details, I wouldn't be surprised to see above average snow ratios and a couple narrow mesoscale bands that could exceed WWA criteria with this event. 

Since I'm in St. Louis for the next 2 weeks, I'll be watching this system and the one after it very closely. 

12-25 12z NAM 500mb h84.png

49 minutes ago, StL WeatherJunkie said:

Really unsure which thread is relevant for the Dec 29-30 time frame when the NAM shows an energetic shortwave entering the southern plains. Since the system is moisture starved, I expect snow will be the predominant precipitation type. As a result, I anticipate winter weather advisories from the TX panhandle northeast into the lakes. Without getting into the details, I wouldn't be surprised to see above average snow ratios and a couple narrow mesoscale bands that could exceed WWA criteria with this event. 

Since I'm in St. Louis for the next 2 weeks, I'll be watching this system and the one after it very closely. 

12-25 12z NAM 500mb h84.png

No thread for it yet but think one will be needed.

• Like 1

Didn't realize how windy it got late morning here. 

Had to work late so when I got home it was completely dark. Let the dog out for the 2nd time tonight and he hadn't barked at the door wanting back in after a good spell. Watched the security cams to see where he was and noticed a cooler in the middle of the yard. Went outside and made sure no one had brokeminto the garage or something and got the dog back in. Watched recorded video and seen it was the wind that moved things around.

Checked the daily climate report that updates at around 4:30pm(official report won't come out until after midnight) and it has a recorded gust of 57mph.

Pretty impressive for not having a wind advisory issued.

Edit: I stand corrected, there was an advisory issued. Could not find any mention of it in the AFD/HWO's throughout the day though. Local met mentioned it on Facebook.

Edited by WeatherMonger