Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

snowlover2

January 11-13 2019 Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RobB said:

Your location seems to me that you were in one of the prime spots for this system.  How much have you seen?

@RobB This is the measurement I got in several places.  (Edit...why are my pictures so much bigger than the others I see posted? Or is that only how it looks to me?)

IMG_8253.jpeg

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

13 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

Final tally 4.25" and final pictures. Need to get the security cameras back online so I can get the birds eye view shot back

While I'm certainly jealous of those getting double and triple those amounts. This one was big for me, on top of the excruciating start to winter. One of my dreams has always been to live out in the country and get a big snowfall. We were blessed to have finally bought a house out here in the fall and it was no less exciting tracking and witnessing it than I had imagined. It's amazing. Now I'm ready to start checking off the bonus boxes (big winds with drifting, 20:1 powder snow ratios, 6",10", 12" snow fall, ice (within reason), etc.) Despite spending 2 hours plowing the 1/4 mile driveway...I still enjoy the tradeoff 😂

20190113_100105.jpg

20190113_100143.jpg

You speak the truth about being out in the country for a snowstorm. Just something special about it.

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.43c1ae9ab182d92ea3e3fe907614b3d0.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

You speak the truth about being out in the country for a snowstorm. Just something special about it.

It is during the winter that I wish I did live out in the country.  Thermal issues minimized as well as more open areas for winds to traverse, not to mention, more scenic.  The rest of the season, I enjoy living in suburbia :)

Edited by RobB
  • Like 2

Narrow miss here but congrats to those SW! Enjoy seeing these compiled reports to show the masses

20190113_145533.jpg

Solid 8- 9" in Fairfield Twp. And that's after some melt from yesterday afternoon. Best snow we've had since March 8th 2008. And the best packing snow I can ever remember. 

0113191244.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

Narrow miss here but congrats to those SW! Enjoy seeing these compiled reports to show the masses

20190113_145533.jpg

So I'm going to say that something that looks off on the reports out of Boone County, KY.

I zoomed in specifically on the airport and Union reports. The red X is where I live and my measurement upon leaving the driveway. The two blue dots are the locations I drove to to measure myself. Both are within 5 min of where I am.

NO WAY the airport got 8.7". At the end of the west runway at the fence, the snow depth was 3.3" (measured three times, different spots @ 11am). Same story for the report in Union (3.0" measured vs. 5.0" reported)

Screenshot_20190113-153214_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6da856c20976c307fa882c5e76f28803.jpg

Edited by NKYSnowLover
  • Confused 1

Storm total at my house was a hair over 7" here in Northern Morgan County In.

Second two pictures are from my parents in Pike county Illinois, who are just now being dug out, got over 16"

2019-01-13 15.45.37.jpg

2019-01-13 15.45.04.jpg

2019-01-13 15.46.20.jpg

2019-01-13 15.48.40.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love it! 3

58 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

So I'm going to say that something that looks off on the reports out of Boone County, KY.

I zoomed in specifically on the airport and Union reports. The red X is where I live and my measurement upon leaving the driveway. The two blue dots are the locations I drove to to measure myself. Both are within 5 min of where I am.

NO WAY the airport got 8.7". At the end of the west runway at the fence, the snow depth was 3.3" (measured three times, different spots @ 11am). Same story for the report in Union (3.0" measured vs. 5.0" reported)

Screenshot_20190113-153214_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6da856c20976c307fa882c5e76f28803.jpg

Have two friends that live around that area and report the same as you. They got 3.1 vs my 6.1 about 20-25 northeast

Edited by Mulaman984

5 inches in Chillicothe, OH. About two miles north of the downtown. Legit can’t find my measuring stick so I measured with a tape measure. Lol! 

Congrats to everyone who cashed in on this weekends storm. On to the the next!

Edited by Virus047
  • Like 1

QPF ~1.0" radar indicated. Pretty good for such a weak surface low overall. Goes to say every storm is unique. Sometimes 990mb lows only produce 4-8". 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Wow...8.7...and reported 5.9 today alone.  That is hard to believe.  With compaction, I could maybe see a 5-5.5 in. storm total.  I was pretty close to the airport for a lot of the day today, and there was no noticeable difference between there, and what we got in Independence, and I'd say we may have struggled our way up to 4.5.

There was a winter 2 or 3 years ago, when the airport was rather generous on their amounts with some smaller storms.  Oh well, I guess it's no biggie, but just pretty surprising.