Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Major Winter Storm

Big snow maker to cross country into this weekend, join the conversation!

Phased Vort

January 12-14, 2019 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Been flurrying since noon. 27F and now snow. 

Full disclosure were back in the cascade home front for this one. 

You might luck out better there then the other place. I got lasagna in the oven, wood stove cranking, colts game going

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UTSwiinii said:

To think - the storm center is still just W of the MS River 

Yup, this is fun. Man this puppy slowed , and much bigger than moi expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KENNYP2339 said:

You might luck out better there then the other place. I got lasagna in the oven, wood stove cranking, colts game going

Glad to get at least 1 snow playoff game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RTC2 said:

Yup, this is fun. Man this puppy slowed , and much bigger than moi expected.

Slowly saturating the column as I watch the cloud deck creep lower, but slowly. I'm trying to save myself for some late night fun later :classic_wink:

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.e30d2bcb340b389e19ddd94d4b1de4a9.png

1 minute ago, avsguy said:

image.thumb.png.e30d2bcb340b389e19ddd94d4b1de4a9.png

That's a big storm.

• Like 1

It has gone from light snow to medium. snow IMBY Litterally

Correction it is now borderline puking snow.

1 minute ago, konka said:

That's a big storm.

Over running storms always are - or are more apt to be than are wound up coastal storms anyway

4 minutes ago, UTSwiinii said:

Slowly saturating the column as I watch the cloud deck creep lower, but slowly. I'm trying to save myself for some late night fun later :classic_wink:

Long save here. Dew 9, rh 40. So I must pace the alcohol drip. Will be a long night, as want to see it snow but will probably wait a long time with this dry air.

Over running storms always are - or are more apt to be than are wound up coastal storms anyway

Great point, I am rusty.

1 minute ago, RTC2 said:

Long save here. Dew 9, rh 40. So I must pace the alcohol drip. Will be a long night, as want to see it snow but will probably wait a long time with this dry air.

I was at 8 4 hours ago, now up to 13. Progress

HRRR at 36 hours.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.01.22 PM.png

37 minutes ago, ryanduff said:

Bit of a shift on the NAM. Compared to previous run animation.

namconus_asnow_neus_fh39_trend.thumb.gif.b2d087cfe9cb4d0debc4db83fbef2cef.gif

A big shift ?? Lol I went from 3” to 13” in one run .. how accurate can this be ? We currently have an advisory for 2-3”  should we discount this model and look at short range ones now or is this a legit threat now ? 

2 minutes ago, Jblizz68 said:

A big shift ?? Lol I went from 3” to 13” in one run .. how accurate can this be ? We currently have an advisory for 2-3”  should we discount this model and look at short range ones now or is this a legit threat now ? 

It shifted the other way. From 13" to 3".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jblizz68 said:

Um - that is a short range model. 

But to the point - best to just go into Observation at this point, and toss the models almost completely

1 minute ago, Jblizz68 said:

It could happen, but stay tuned. Cutoffs with the big hammer and confluence are drastic and volatile.

Just now, RTC2 said:

It could happen, but stay tuned. Cutoffs with the big hammer and confluence are drastic and volatile.

Yep - all about radar, metar and sat views, maybe look at SPC RAP every so so. 

Flurries started  just east of Baltimore.  Temp 31, DP 19

Edited by Skipjack

2 minutes ago, Jblizz68 said:

Technically you went from 13 to 3 (12z to 18z) but I digress. I'd use it to say there is a possibility for a boom but the likelihood is still a bit doubtful. We'll see how the bands set up though. Light snow and 27 degrees here just north of Pittsburgh. We have a coating so far. I've had DC at 4-8 for 48 hours but I'm starting to think it's more of a 6-10 event down there with an official reading of 5 at DCA because it's DCA. 

Light snow/flurries started within past 5 minutes here (Timonium, MD ~15 mi. N of Baltimore City)

2 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

Technically you went from 13 to 3 (12z to 18z) but I digress. I'd use it to say there is a possibility for a boom but the likelihood is still a bit doubtful. We'll see how the bands set up though. Light snow and 27 degrees here just north of Pittsburgh. We have a coating so far. I've had DC at 4-8 for 48 hours but I'm starting to think it's more of a 6-10 event down there with an official reading of 5 at DCA because it's DCA. 

NOt even technically - it's actually. 

Good call on those DC tot's

27 minutes ago, KENNYP2339 said:

You may be right. And this is more fun. Upslope snow is great. But lonely. 

Um - that is a short range model. 

But to the point - best to just go into Observation at this point, and toss the models almost completely

Lol yes NAM is short but I thought the rapid refresh and HRRR models were even shorter for some reason lol... I agree 100% it’s down to observation .. it’s currehtly overcast here and got a weather update saying snow begins at 5:38 ..thanks again