Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

telejunkie

January 10-15, 2019 | Below Average Temps

Staff Recommended Posts

Since there is not much active weather coming down the pipeline for a while for us northern folk...figured may as well open a thread to chat about some actual below average anomalies. Looking at what could be my town's second below zero reading of the year Friday night and  first since Nov 23...

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 10.18.03 AM.png

• Like 1

here in ct doesn't look like any below temps just avg temps and no snow

5 minutes ago, brodoser1 said:

here in ct doesn't look like any below temps just avg temps and no snow

???

namconus_T2ma_neus_8.thumb.png.d241f599b657671ea2f729a1e6d394ce.pngnamconus_T2ma_neus_14.thumb.png.ac0e3f04b2679b5e32eaa8a9e8630170.png

29-31 seems below average for CT.  And the date range is for only a few days, so...Seems accurate.

Edited by Ahoff

My average high temp this time of year is 30F, definitely not an arctic outbreak...but below average by about 10F for several days in a row...

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 12.56.58 PM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

29-31 seems below average for CT.  And the date range is for only a few days, so...Seems accurate.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

no 29 to 36 is the avg temps for ct in jan

I don't know, look like Hartford average is about 34 this time of year.

4 hours ago, brodoser1 said:

image1 (3).png

4 hours ago, Ahoff said:

2 hours ago, brodoser1 said:

no 29 to 36 is the avg temps for ct in jan

19 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I don't know, look like Hartford average is about 34 this time of year.

Here are the climatological statistics for January 12th in Hartford, CT. 35°F, so it is already below average, even if it is just by a little. The truth is that the core of the cold air will be in the northern tier of the Northeast, while we will just get a brief shot of close-to-average-but-slightly-below temperatures. Link to website. Now let's move on from this minor discussion, can take place in the CT PM group.

256074216_Screenshot2019-01-10at3_30_29PM.png.2449b428a5beb45c35ee9db99bf9bf12.png

The end date is for Monday.  What is your point?

I mean, I know I haven’t been the most positive lately, but come on.  The title is clear.

Mount Washington. STILL not as cold as the November polar blasts.

530338982_Screenshot2019-01-10at7_59_56PM.thumb.png.3683d22701e38537470e4ef6362864d9.png

• Like 1

It’s actually nice to walk around without getting mud all over my boots, the cold air stinging my face in the morning feels great. 

Down to 26 here in Boonton NJ

Some cold nights incoming..

Overnight
Scattered snow showers before 2am, then flurries after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday
Scattered flurries before 10am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind around 10 mph.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 2. Northwest wind around 6 mph.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -5. Northwest wind around 6 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 0. North wind around 6 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 17.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around -1.

SWS

...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS EXPECTED TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING... The combination of cold temperatures and persistent wind will make tonight feel colder than it has been for quite some time. Wind chills will drop below zero across most of Western New York, with wind chill values as low as 25 below zero east of Lake Ontario. The coldest conditions will be late tonight and early Friday morning. Frostbite and hypothermia can occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure to dress properly if you are planning to be outdoors during this time.

I think we'll get some below normal temps but the nightly lows are what's killing us.  This morning my low was 19, still 5 above normal.

image.png

Edited by StretchCT

Currently 15F out there with wind gusts at 10-15mph....which translates to single digits to near zero real feel temps....blue bird sky, stark white mountains. Actually feels like winter!

• Like 1

Decent chance at single digits tonite.  DP is 4, temp 17.  Clear skies but still a light breeze.

Will be the first single digit reading since November. First below normal low since Dec 19th.

Down to 3 degrees  with light snow showers, hopefully we clear out to see how low we can go..

Normally i hate bitterly cold but im in the comfort of my warm home so i'm good with it..

My wallet on the other hand is a different story..lol

Edited by Mike W IN ALTMAR
  • Like 3

Currently 16 degrees, forecast lows are in the teens for 4 consecutive nights. It has been awhile since that has happened. I should be able to make my 100 foot walk to my shed to test my snow blower for the first time since last winter. The lawn was just to wet to make the trip without possibly losing footwear. 

image.png.b896bcf9a575af74e3cfc2541f1638b6.png

• Like 2

Briefly dipped below zero this morning for the first time this season, -1°.

• Like 4

18 delicious degrees

lawn is like cured concrete

Dogs love it

Mid day forecast is a straight 30. Love it. I’ll clear some brush. 

Flurries to an inch tonight, so I’ll get a fire going. Maybe some brandy. 

Ahoy winter!

• Like 2

Bottomed out at 13°F. Looking a the incoming dry period, I might have to start watering the lawn to preserve the mosses.

This rain + cold pattern has been great for needle ice formation.

20190112_132014.thumb.jpg.432e3b2dc9864ebf5ad72d703888bc64.jpg

Blog post from a month ago on needle ice.

• Like 1

Still some deep cold remaining. Ice over here still not thick enough to walk on with full confidence - don't ask why I know that.

hrdps_T2m_neus_19.thumb.png.96cafb4777eb5dd837497b39d2680c7b.png

Low of 0.0° this morning, maybe we dip, but not sure.  Still only one below zero morning this winter so far.

Needle ice continues to grow. Biggest I saw was 6" now, and still some moisture to "tap" into underneath that. This photo is just me digging into the ice to find the actual ground. This particular area was really strong, supported my weight!

20190114_151132.thumb.jpg.015ec528579f565f473ed2d2d3dcbd31.jpg

Pond ice analysis. Smashed a wood log into some areas and checked out the cracks, appears to be slightly over an inch thick. I was able to stand on it, but this section was strongly bound to rocks. Could hear a bit of creaking as well. Would not go out in the deeper sections (this section was only a foot deep). Only testing because need to cart some firewood over this pond later :classic_tongue:.

20190114_145426.thumb.jpg.e8f57f47f8cde5a274f32e7a6558e450.jpg

20190114_145653.thumb.jpg.ff8979895aefcaa91f94ff84538d550b.jpg

\

• Love it! 1