Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

snowlover2

January 18-20 2019 Winter Storm

Solstice

A joint album with the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region has been created. Link is below.

Message added by Solstice

Staff Recommended Posts

There is a strong signal for the next stronger system to move through the area.

0z GFS

Spoiler

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_35.png.2a96fb8240bebca4db5801b1644609cb.pnggfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png.9d406617fae1978bcc747d73f537c189.pnggfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_37.png.35f2b11016665f7670e2ab60df507588.png

0z FV3

Spoiler

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png.8db5f834ffdd9f851e643309f5e04c54.png

0z GGEM

Spoiler

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png.88b57f1c70022485718a3476deaa9130.png

0z Euro

Spoiler

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_9.png.2990de9189023c602e0c2257fa02e227.pngecmwf_z500_mslp_us_10.png.726cae8b9b6b3d7002c1710cfe2daa23.png

GFS would bring significant snow to some of the same areas that are about to get snow from the current storm. Euro would keep the snow in the northern lakes with most of us seeing thunderstorms followed by a brief period of backside snow. GGEM/FV3 track wise more in line with GFS but not much cold to work with. Only thing for now is that they all show potential for a strong storm.

Edited by snowlover2

1 hour ago, easton229 said:

Found the next disappointment to follow! :6:

If it cuts up to your area there wont be any cold air.lol

This period has strong support from ensembles even as far back as a few days ago. Pretty rare to see that with a 200+hr range.

Edited by junior

I'm going to be optimistic and stick with what I said about the current storm.  Wish everyone to the South well and big snows, and the next system will ride up along the current snowpack and kick Winter into gear for people near my locale.  So, there it is.

Oh look. Someone posted a thread for this beauty. Lol. The 12z GFS was holy wow.

48 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

00z ECM

1.png

2.png

The snowpack from tomrorows storm would most certainly impact temps here I would think. 

If 12z Euro verified anywhere close, entire OV would be happy.

And unlike todays winter storm, much colder air associated with it. There will be some ice issues somewhere also. 

Much greater travel impacts

1 minute ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

Absolute monster on the 12z ecm...gif incoming 

This looks like the type of storm where you can almost lock-in a good ol' I-70/71 p-type battle zone when all is said & done. Another fun week of tracking on tap!

• Like 1

I could only wish.  Not a whole lot of QPF but with ratio potentials at these temps, it would be interesting.  FWIW at this long distance.

image.png.2aa073e60815565a8ce6c18da6e93cad.png

2 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

9-km ECMWF USA Cities Mid Atlantic Precip Type & MSLP.gif

Well that's super depressing. Literally does a dive below and around Michigan.:classic_laugh:

It'll be interesting to see if any snow cover is left from tonight & tomorrow's system. If there is much to "could" affect track. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grace said:

It'll be interesting to see if any snow cover is left from tonight & tomorrow's system. If there is much to "could" affect track. 

Yeah, I recall seeing that making a difference in track a few times.  I've also been burned depending on the south of snow cover track not working out :rain-2:

Edited by RobB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ncinthenext3 said:

I'm going to be optimistic and stick with what I said about the current storm.  Wish everyone to the South well and big snows, and the next system will ride up along the current snowpack and kick Winter into gear for people near my locale.  So, there it is.

I want to have whatever you're having lol.

6 minutes ago, Grace said:

I was just checking that out, I would be surprised. With mediocre ground temps here and especially MO, looking at temps for the wek, mid to upper 30s here and sunny, Missouri looks like low to mid 40s and sun.  GFS snow depth depiction suggests minimal

1.gif

Edited by ohiobuckeye45
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobB said:

Yeah, I recall seeing that making a difference in track a few times.  I've also been burned depending on the south of snow cover track not working out :rain-2:

It might not matter at all anyway. Diving system, cold HP to north, -EPO, strong TPV in Canada. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Well that's super depressing. Literally does a dive below and around Michigan.:classic_laugh:

.......seriously, though?