Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

Uscg ast

January 29 - February 3, 2019 | Polar Vortex | Extreme Cold

Staff Recommended Posts

I have been watching the models for the past week and it seems. To show a bitter cold is going to set up over the central and Eastern United States. Temperatures are looking more like 60N vs 40N and I have seen expectations of -40F minimum temperatures or even lower in parts of MN and Iowa. Consequently, while this will affect the Central and Upper Midwest (and I am creating a thread for them as well). I believe that this PV may also lead to the potential for a significant storm along the EC. 

Below is the EPS and Euro h5 30 January 2019 at 12z. Likewise I have included h85 temperatures for that time frame. 

image_2789411_19700118_170441.jpg

image_2791413_19700118_170442.jpg

image_2793415_19700118_170443.jpg

So much better than 2014 when we got "sucked into" the polar vortex, according to CNN

image.png.b20c2ba8007f46dadd89b914282b9a9e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Extreme cold, just in time for my birthday... now let’s get this pattern moving and give me a good old fashioned blizzard! That’s all I ever want every year! 😊😊

I guess this is what is being discussed.

1743186579_9-kmECMWFGlobalPressureNorthAmerica2-mTemperatureAnom.gif.a3e19005189d816bdd2e06d4093619fe.gif

1 hour ago, BraveChJ10 said:

Extreme cold, just in time for my birthday... now let’s get this pattern moving and give me a good old fashioned blizzard! That’s all I ever want every year! 😊😊

Happy birthday!

1 hour ago, Phased Vort said:

I guess this is what is being discussed.

1743186579_9-kmECMWFGlobalPressureNorthAmerica2-mTemperatureAnom.gif.a3e19005189d816bdd2e06d4093619fe.gif

I’ll start moving firewood to the “ready” pile, now.  That looks intense...

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

As I type this, the wind is from the Southwest, again.  The air is so humid you can cut it with a judo-chop, again.  The rain is just like what you routinely experience in Miami or New Orleans, again.  It's about 60 degrees, but it feels like 80.  Again.  

I would not be surprised, one iota, if I see a mosquito this afternoon.  Again.

However... this thread is about something that is best served cold.  This thread is about "vodka cold," as people are calling it.  The maps, if they are correct, show pretty shades of blue heading almost to the Gulf of Mexico.  

Bitter, bitter cold.  Biting winds.  Stuff breaking off of cars (like happened to me this week).  Ice forming on golf courses.  

If we can't get a blizzard, then I'm good with a deep freeze.  The net results are much the same, even if it's not as pretty.  The need to stay inside.  Build and maintain a fire.  Eat the cat, if things get desperate (just listening to the dogs - it's their wish, not mine...).  

This is the cozy experience of a PV.  I will sit next to the fireplace and nurse a good brandy... and fantasize about all of the people in mosquito-land who have sent their pestilence our way since August, even intruding into the sacrosanct land of Cold Miser during January.

Fear not, Heat Miser: if this bears out... you'll get yours.  Oh yes, you'll get yours.  You and your pestilential friends, the bugs.  

Here comes Papa Victor, baby.  PV.  

Edited by RobBucksPA
  • Love it! 2
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, RobBucksPA said:

As I type this, the wind is from the Southwest, again.  The air is so humid you can cut it with a judo-chop, again.  The rain is just like what you routinely experience in Miami or New Orleans, again.  It's about 60 degrees, but it feels like 80.  Again.  

I would not be surprised, one iota, if I see a mosquito this afternoon.  Again.

However... this thread is about something that is best served cold.  This thread is about "vodka cold," as people are calling it.  The maps, if they are correct, show pretty shades of blue heading almost to the Gulf of Mexico.  

Bitter, bitter cold.  Biting winds.  Stuff breaking off of cars (like happened to me this week).  Ice forming on golf courses.  

If we can't get a blizzard, then I'm good with a deep freeze.  The net results are much the same, even if it's not as pretty.  The need to stay inside.  Build and maintain a fire.  Eat the cat, if things get desperate (just listening to the dogs - it's their wish, not mine...).  

This is the cozy experience of a PV.  I will sit next to the fireplace and nurse a good brandy... and fantasize about all of the people in mosquito-land who have sent their pestilence our way since August, even intruding into the sacrosanct land of Cold Miser during January.

Fear not, Heat Miser: if this bears out... you'll get yours.  Oh yes, you'll get yours.  You and your pestilential friends, the bugs.  

Here comes Papa Victor, baby.  PV.  

Whatever your on.. I want some 🙃 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12Z GFS Jan 31st:

gfs_T2m_us_27.png.6a1f47b58047bbff8d031fc3d17c51af.pnggfs_T850_us_28.png.5676bcb3a0bc0ed05d1989f4436e98e6.png

North Central Iowa here. We usually get a low down to -20 once a year.... our record is -32. Would be interesting to live through breaking that record 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ryanduff said:

So much better than 2014 when we got "sucked into" the polar vortex, according to CNN

image.png.b20c2ba8007f46dadd89b914282b9a9e.png

kaboom.gif.e0164a39a882336dd2d6d5dbcc78d070.gif

• Haha 2

Models continue to advertise a potent anafront structure with this storm, which should result in snow flake sightings for everyone. Accumulations will mostly be in the 'light' category, but higher than average ratios and rapidly falling temperatures should help out a bit. Here in Morgantown, I'm expecting a quick 1-2" as that is by far the most common snow event in my area.

Edited by StL WeatherJunkie
  • Like 2

Even though this account is focused in Champaign, IL...it applies...

• Like 2

Just something to laugh at.

372035007_sfctapp.us_ne(3).thumb.png.8ca42228a8b18cf3e50327346a7176ae.png

• Wow! 1

tell me its not going to be cold and dry again bring on the thump

1 hour ago, Solstice said:

It does look like some serious cold moving in next week. Like you I believe these numbers will be modified. If they don't lookout. :winter_smilies_0012:

image.png.22e443dfcd92dd5e5aaed9039395bdfb.png

for the east coast 15 to 30 deg below norm for ct that's about 5 to 15 deg not as cold as the last blast of cold

GFS  Deepest anomaly at that time for the NE

9zg1SbS.png

Actual temps

N8emzdG.png

20 hours ago, Solstice said:

Temperature forecasts are bad enough ... wind chill graphics are: :snoozer_08:

Honestly, this issue isn't too much different than the atrocities committed by QPF -> snow map -> ratio'ed snow maps.

20 hours ago, brodoser1 said:

tell me its not going to be cold and dry again bring on the thump

Sorry no snow as long as that cold is deep and wide pushing everything south and out to sea. TWC has Felton Delaware only low 20 Wednesday, Thursday - Saturday upper 20’s and Sunday mid 30’s, overnight lows in the teens. If that happens then the cold is only lasting 4 days here. The only precipitation is Tuesday rain again.

This much-hyped cold snap is already being modified--it will be merely our coldest temperature since January 21.  By the time it comes, we will be lucky to even drop to zero.

10 hours ago, Storms R’ US said:

Sorry no snow as long as that cold is deep and wide pushing everything south and out to sea. TWC has Felton Delaware only low 20 Wednesday, Thursday - Saturday upper 20’s and Sunday mid 30’s, overnight lows in the teens. If that happens then the cold is only lasting 4 days here. The only precipitation is Tuesday rain again.

I know just wishing 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, Mike W IN ALTMAR said:

610analog.off.gif

can I assume we are still waiting for the blocking high to form over Greenland?