Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

Uscg ast

January 29 - February 3, 2019 | Polar Vortex | Extreme Cold

Staff Recommended Posts

One of the larger challenges is ensuring that Tuesday's precipitation is cleared before the freeze.  If you are in a location that will never see 32 degrees during the transition, then you're probably fine.  If you stay cold, that's not much of a problem.  If, however, your Tuesday storm thaws at all (in some locations it's predicted as a mix), or is wet for a significant amount of time, you need to clear it from the critical areas: steps, walkways, etc.  This kind of cold will challenge salt.  Even if you have a thawing agent that works, who wants to be outside at zero degrees?

Oh, OK, I do.  At least for a bit.  The dogs don't give me an option, in any case, so I might as well enjoy it.  

Edited by RobBucksPA
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, RobBucksPA said:

One of the larger challenges is ensuring that Tuesday's precipitation is cleared before the freeze.  If you are in a location that will never see 32 degrees during the transition, then you're probably fine.  If you stay cold, that's not much of a problem.  If, however, your Tuesday storm thaws at all (in some locations it's predicted as a mix), or is wet for a significant amount of time, you need to clear it from the critical areas: steps, walkways, etc.  This kind of cold will challenge salt.  Even if you have a thawing agent that works, who wants to be outside at zero degrees?

Oh, OK, I do.  At least for a bit.  The dogs don't give me an option, in any case, so I might as well enjoy it.  

Important advice there.

The could come quickly and ruthlessly.

34 minutes ago, RobBucksPA said:

My husky pup and I will brave it but as for actually liking it, nope. We're supposed to be one of the areas that goes from Rain to well..ya. Just doing a quick check of the thermometer, we're at 8 degrees this morning. So quick warm up today to about 35 (official forecast is 38 but I don't see us getting there) and then into the icebox overnight. We just had that major event that turned into a flash freeze and underneath 3 inches of snow was a solid layer of ice. I was able to do something with it because the sun came out and it was at least near 20. On top of that, the winds are going to absolutely sting the face so if you have a ski mask, you might want to think about wearing it. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:11 PM, jdrenken said:

Even though this account is focused in Champaign, IL...it applies...

Interesting tweet form cranky this morning regarding cold snap  Analoging is a pointless exercise in misdirection" 

1 hour ago, gulfofslides said:

Interesting tweet form cranky this morning regarding cold snap  Analoging is a pointless exercise in misdirection" 

It's all about the message delivery.

I see temps cold but not that bad 5 at night 20 during the day

Just now, brodoser1 said:

916523E0-F8F3-4FA1-A102-0EE324C28FF1.png

According to this no real snow through feb 6th this leaves about 3 weeks left snowy winter after that game over 

11 minutes ago, brodoser1 said:

According to this no real snow through feb 6th this leaves about 3 weeks left snowy winter after that game over 

So you received zero frozen QPF March 2018??

Edited by paletitsnow63
  • Love it! 1

Historically no I don’t think 7 snow days in March gives ct much chance to make this season a cold and snowy one but that my Opinion

plus its not like we get 4 nor'easter's every march now don't get me wrong I want snow bad not bitter casting

I only have 2 or 3 more winters here then heading south chance of hitting a cold snowy winter running out

A30E6322-69EE-4889-AF73-3A5B2F624A4C.jpeg

Edited by brodoser1

20 hours ago, brodoser1 said:

Historically no I don’t think 7 snow days in March gives ct much chance to make this season a cold and snowy one but that my Opinion

plus its not like we get 4 nor'easter's every march now don't get me wrong I want snow bad not bitter casting

I only have 2 or 3 more winters here then heading south chance of hitting a cold snowy winter running out

Look at StretchCT's signature file.  He's in CT too. 7 of the past 9 years have been above average snowfall. In Boston, we've had a lot of cold, snowy winters of late.  We are due for some below average years.

Speaking of cold and back on topic, we're in for a cold 36 hours Wed night (low of 2) to Fri morning but not like the Midwest is seeing - yikes!

2 hours ago, BossaNova said:

Look at StretchCT's signature file.  He's in CT too. 7 of the past 9 years have been above average snowfall. In Boston, we've had a lot of cold, snowy winters of late.  We are due for some below average years.

Speaking of cold and back on topic, we're in for a cold 36 hours Wed night (low of 2) to Fri morning but not like the Midwest is seeing - yikes!

Come on man 1 day of cold cold temps is not bad then back to 40s and we’re into the 7 th of feb we can get one or to big snows but winter still doesn’t make a cold snowy winter just winter went out with a bang 

C19E7459-3802-4AB1-8C23-01DE84838E89.png

Edited by brodoser1

4 hours ago, BossaNova said:

Making me read my sig now.

Oh yeah... that's kinda why I post those.  

Meanwhile, I'm actually going to support @brodoser1 's complaint ( I mean observation) with this tidbit on snow in March.

image.png.abffe021a0958be8c593ca6aa7680625.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Making me read my sig now.

Oh yeah... that's kinda why I post those.  

Meanwhile, I'm actually going to support @brodoser1 's complaint with this tidbit on snow in March.

image.png.abffe021a0958be8c593ca6aa7680625.png

thank you stretchct not a complaint just facts running out of time for this season

I work for a company headquartered in Madison WI, though I work remotely in Maine.  Just got the business resiliency call that the offices in Madison, Chicago and Waverly, IA are closed tomorrow because of the cold.  Been with this company for almost 6 years and this is a first.  Not supposed to be too bad here - 5 below tomorrow night is not outside the norm for January.  Stay warm everyone!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MainelySnow said:

I work for a company headquartered in Madison WI, though I work remotely in Maine.  Just got the business resiliency call that the offices in Madison, Chicago and Waverly, IA are closed tomorrow because of the cold.  Been with this company for almost 6 years and this is a first.  Not supposed to be too bad here - 5 below tomorrow night is not outside the norm for January.  Stay warm everyone!

I just saw this while browsing. WOW!!! :winter_smilies_0012:

USPS Halts Midwest Mail Delivery Because Of Extremely Dangerous Cold Temperatures

Source:  http://97x.com/usps-halts-midwest-mail-delivery-because-of-extremely-dangerous-cold-temperatures/

• Wow! 1

I'm fascinated in how this arrived.  

My home, this morning, was 5F degrees.  Not three blocks away is was 9F.  My house got considerable snow-icing - scraping the car was a chore today.  Other people just had to brush it.  It was all about how the temperatures swung during the snow and the freeze that is now arriving.  I got a warm shot that allowed for wetter snow, which then froze.  Others didn't.

As the front settles in we'll see the temps even-out, but it's always nice to be reminded that the atmosphere is essentially a liquid.  The cold settles into the crevices and crannies, first.  Water vapor moves as it will.  

This is easy to see if you are aloft, but on the ground it appears as pockets of warmth, wet, cold, etc.  It just so happens that my commute coincided with the arrival of the real cold.  Fascinating stuff.

• Like 4

Heard speak of the "split of the polar vortex" allowing such extreme cold to make it into the CONUS. Any knowledge on what would cause/allow the split to happen?

1 hour ago, Uscg ast said:

A Sudden Stratospheric Warming event. 

"At altitudes of less than 10 kilometers above Earth’s surface, planetary-scale waves form and propagate upward into the stratosphere, where they dissipate. This leads to a weakening of the polar vortex, a confined region of strong eastward winds that form during wintertime at high latitudes. As the polar vortex weakens, polar stratospheric temperatures increase"

"Hemisphere-scale weather patterns in the wintertime Northern Hemisphere troposphere and stratosphere are associated with changes in an index called the Northern Annular Mode (NAM) [Thompson and Wallace, 1998]. In the troposphere, the NAM is characterized by a pressure anomaly over the polar region, with an opposite-signed anomaly near 50°–55°N. That is, high-pressure anomalies over the North Pole are coupled with low-pressure anomalies farther south and vice versa. This pattern is related to stronger eastward winds during positive NAM phases (i.e., for a negative polar pressure anomaly) and westward wind anomalies during negative NAM phases. In the stratosphere, the NAM describes the strength of the polar vortex. Negative NAM phases are associated with weak stratospheric polar vortices, like those that occur during SSWs.

NAM anomalies often move downward from the stratosphere to the tropopause (the boundary between the troposphere and the stratosphere) over the course of about 10 days and can then significantly alter extratropical weather patterns during the following 2 months. Knowledge of this downward movement can extend the range of weather forecasts. 

Outside the tropics, an SSW can displace extratropical cyclonic storm tracks toward the equator, among other consequences. This displacement increases the probability that storms will pass over the United Kingdom and southern Europe, and it increases the probability of record-breaking cold temperatures and snowfall in eastern North America [Kidston et al.,2015]. Although atmospheric reanalyses and climate model simulations clearly illustrate the downward propagation of the NAM anomalies, we do not yet fully understand the mechanism responsible for the stratospheric control of tropospheric weather patterns."

Pedatella, N. M. (2018, March 21). How Sudden Stratospheric Warming Affects the Whole Atmosphere. Retrieved from https://eos.org/features/how-sudden-stratospheric-warming-affects-the-whole-atmosphere

After this event, we're going to be looking at how we can cool the stratosphere as it happens. :chicken_dance-176:

For those of you in eastern pa. I thought it was cold last night but the true arctic front has now passed through. It dropped 1-2 inches on our driveway (hard to measure as it's blowing so hard) and now the winds are 50 mph and the temp has dropped to 3 degrees. It makes last night feel downright hot. It's a virtual ground blizzard here. 

Edit: To be clear, it's gusting to 50 and not sustained. Want to make sure that I make that clear. 

Edited by Psu1313
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, RobBucksPA said:

I'm fascinated in how this arrived.  

My home, this morning, was 5F degrees.  Not three blocks away is was 9F.  My house got considerable snow-icing - scraping the car was a chore today.  Other people just had to brush it.  It was all about how the temperatures swung during the snow and the freeze that is now arriving.  I got a warm shot that allowed for wetter snow, which then froze.  Others didn't.

As the front settles in we'll see the temps even-out, but it's always nice to be reminded that the atmosphere is essentially a liquid.  The cold settles into the crevices and crannies, first.  Water vapor moves as it will.  

This is easy to see if you are aloft, but on the ground it appears as pockets of warmth, wet, cold, etc.  It just so happens that my commute coincided with the arrival of the real cold.  Fascinating stuff.

Don't be so sure.  Was 14 at midnight here, squall dropped a quick inch or so around 6 am, temp dropped to 8, currently at KPIT it is 1 above zero.  Makes the forecast low of -6 seem too high.  The record for today is -1, shouldn't have an issue getting there, and tomorrow is -3, also shouldn't be a problem.  Just amazing the drop here, but the Midwest, oh my God!

The Arctic front passed through at noon here, and we had an amazing snow squall for 10-15 minutes, with an almost complete whiteout. It was fun to watch.

• Like 2

It's now 0 at Pittsburgh international and should continue to slowly drop the rest of today. Stations north of Pittsburgh in PA are as low as -5 and meanwhile, it's ABOVE freezing in Philly as of 1 PM!

• Like 1