Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

Staff Recommended Posts

As we all know, there is a huge amount of information published about greenhouse gases and global warming.  

As we also know, the earth's magnetic field has been tapering off for about 1,000 years.  The magnetic north pole is moving, and fast.  The "ring of fire" is as active as any of us have seen in our lifetime.  Eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis are frighteningly common, and not just in the Pacific.  Iceland, Italy, etc.  It's not just the ROF.

Are the two correlated?  Does the increased geological activity correlate with changes to the earth's magnetic field?

Given the internet, it's harder than ever to separate the wheat from the chaff.  What information is well reasoned and scientific, what information is intentionally spun, and what information is outright clickbait?  Hard to say.  Add "unintentional spinning" to that mix and it gets even harder to focus on what might be called "actual data."

But it's out there.  Whether people are studying it, that's yet a different question.

So I ask: in your opinion, does the earth's magnetic field affect climate, weather, both, or neither?

There's no question that magnetic north has recently moved a lot.  There's no question that our magnetic field has weakened for as long as we've been measuring it.  There's very little question that this has happened before, and that humans have survived it.  We can't be 100% sure, since we weren't actually there and measuring it, but the evidence is about as strong as it can be.  Changes in earth's magnetic strength and polarity appear to be a historical fact.

My question, again, is: so what?  Does it matter to weather or climate?

What are your thoughts?

On 1/31/2019 at 9:44 AM, RobBucksPA said:

So I ask: in your opinion, does the earth's magnetic field affect climate, weather, both, or neither?

An interesting question.

I am in the group that would say that it affects both, but without an overabundance of empirical evidence some scientists that study such matters would scoff at the idea and say neither. That's what irritates me about scientists, any new theory needs two or more (depending on the exoticness of the theory) proofs before they will accept it as fact, and even then they accept it grudgingly.

The secret for either laypersons like myself or learned scientists is, you have to have faith until all possible avenues are exhausted and that takes time.

As an example:   You can cherry pick from this google search for: Doubts about the Higgs Boson and some of the results go as far back as 2011 but this one last year: Beyond any doubt: Higgs boson couples to the heaviest lepton seems to offer definitive proof of its existence, notice I used 'seems', even I can't avoid the uncertainty, but I do have faith that given enough time and determination the scientist's working on this problem will succeed.

Now, back to your question; I find that if you search for answers to questions you have you will find better results if you stick to institutions of higher learning, Penn State is a good one locally for weather but for most other topics I like to search Cornell University so I searched for Magnetism and Earth's weather site:cornell.edu

The first result [PDF]Space Climate and Space Weather over the past 400 years: 1 ... - arXiv  Notice it is a PDF so depending on how you have your browser set it will open directly in your browser or it will offer a download. I took the D/L and from that found this in Chapter 4:

Spoiler

4) Generation of the magnetic field and its role in atmospheric escape

We have described the interactions between the surface environment (atmosphere
plus ocean) and the mantle in sections
2 & 3. In this section we demonstrate that
additional interactions exists between the mantle and core, and the geomagnetic field
(which is generated by the core dynamo) and atmosphere. The mantle controls the
rate at which the core cools, thereby playing a crucial role in maintaining the energy
flow necessary to drive convection and dynamo action in the core. The geomagnetic
field provides a shield that holds the solar wind far above the surface (presently at
about 9 Earth-radii) so that most high energy particles are diverted and prevented
from disrupting the near surface environment. As a result, magnetic fields may
limit the atmospheric escape rate under certain conditions. The magnetic field’s
influence on escape rate can then have an important control on long-term climate
evolution, opening the possibility for an indirect influence of the core dynamo on
mantle convection, in addition to the direct role mantle convection plays in driving
the dynamo.

So the notion is out there and you are not in all probability to be the first to think about it. The electromagnetic force is the last of the four fundamental interactions or forces: gravitation, electromagnetism, the weak interaction, and the strong interaction to be fully understood.

Something I like to think about and I feel it has a connection to your thread is; We are all made of 'starstuff' as Carl Sagan once said. So how can magnetism not have an affect on planet Earth?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Goodreads

It is just a matter of time to find all these 'truths' unfortunately that is the problem with Homo Sapiens, you and I have been placed into a Universe that is, dare I say infinitely more vast than we have time to explore.