Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

PA road DAWG

February 12-13, 2019 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

7" for the day and it's rippin'. 26F. 

Sterling's impact map shows the severity of ice potential. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bradjl2009 said:

The newest NAM just cut totals in northern PA, Upstate NY, and Southern New England again. NAM does seem more extreme with the low snowfall totals compared to other models though.

I have not looked, but what is it showing for ice accretion? 

49 minutes ago, Storms R’ US said:

What you don’t want to see freezing rain be careful 

Keep it coming I want to see how close the amounts verify 

Hey there storms....I can confirm via guys I work with here at the fire station the Northern end of both Harford and Baltimore Counties currently range between 4-8 inches, with the top end totals being the result of the higher elevations (700’—1,000’) thru out that entire region and stillll snowing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

You better do it. 

NWS in sterling  extended the WWA till 7 am tomorrow morning. It was originally  supposed to end  11 hours ago lol

4 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Ahhh, I feel like I got my other horseman back, was riding the trails alone for awhile.. did you know PARD had GFS ensemble babies? Things got weird here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, BBell said:

Same old, same old here. Good radar returns, but a temp of 33F and Dew Point of 22F tells you all you need to know about what I actually see outside.

Shouldn’t be long for ya as my air temp last night when the snow began was 32 with the DP temp being 18

9 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

image.png.521d6e879846b99e7127748f8e7ef522.png

• Haha 1

I cant show it from my dumb computer but the trough out in the central US appears to be more neutral, maybe I'm seeing things but a more neutral trough is more favorable for coastal development to take off and become more alpha (primary) I know the main storm is a cutter, but perhaps this will keep more cold locked in avoiding the zr in a bigger area, someone either confirm or correct my thought. 

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/CONUS_band.php?sat=G16&band=07&length=12

Edited by KENNYP2339
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it! 1

11 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

OK,maybe i do have one

standing ovation.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm mm. 00z NAM. Snowall for next 24 hours.....

Fwiw.

.  is it me or did the Nam get a lot colder in 6 hours since 18z  lol for  mason Dixon line south 

namconus_asnow_us_9.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

bickering aside, how are we trending in the lower Westchester area (White Plains/Tarrytown)?

i am trying to decide if i will need to hear into work in the AM or just work remotely. 

thanks.

1 minute ago, DaWeatherMan said:

bickering aside, how are we trending in the lower Westchester area (White Plains/Tarrytown)?

i am trying to decide if i will need to hear into work in the AM or just work remotely. 

thanks.

why chance it stay home if you can

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaWeatherMan said:

thanks.

Still seems the same. Looks like about 3-4 inches of snow and then a changeover to sleet in the early afternoon and rain in the evening

4 minutes ago, DaWeatherMan said:

stay home, looks like shes coming in colder then my ex gf's mother's welcoming after the second time we got back together. 

Front end thump is looking a little more impressive, but with colder air intrenched, looking like a more prolonged ice event to, I'm seeing a trend with the trough tilting more neutral which could keep the upper levels from warm noising a little longer than forecasted, possibly because the models didn't see the departing low pulling down or "freshening up" the existing cold air mass, either way its going to be a mess tomorrow and since we haven't had to many events people are going to go bonkers while trying to drive. 

Edited by KENNYP2339
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Latest forecast update from NWS CTP...good info and again hammer away at the freezing rain worries:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/... Leading edge of the advancing, widespread light to moderate intensity snow shield has made it about 20-30NM north of interstate 80 as of 02Z, and will begin along the PA/NY border around or shortly before midnight. The widespread and significant impacts of the combined snow and ice totals are enough to warrant continuation of Winter Storm Warnings. Expanded the Warning for the remaining 3 of our far SE zones where model consensus keeps the max wet bulb across Scent PA and the Lower Susq Valley (throughout the entire layer of the Atmos) at or just below zero through 12-14Z Tuesday before a thickening wedge of warmer air air aloft surges north and changes the precip to a 4-8 hour period of -FZRA into the afternoon hours, then plain rain during the mid to late afternoon. The ice/ZR accumulations may be even notably worse than the already heavy 0.30 to 0.50 inch amounts currently forecast there, as many of the ridge tops across the Laurel Highlands should stay at or just below through most or all of the daylight hours Tuesday with another inch of QPF expected. Wouldn`t be surprised to see places across Somerset County (especially near and to the west of Route 219) receive a thick and very damaging 0.50-0.75 inch of ice. Temps hang between 28 and 33 degrees for the next 18 hours for much of the area before jumping into the mid 30s along and just in the wake of an occluded fropa Tuesday evening. Will follow the HREFV2`s PTYPE very closely which maintains all snow near and to the East of I-99 and north of the PA turnpike through about daybreak, before a gradual changeover to sleet then freezing rain occurs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Including last nights snowfall, we are up to 5” and coming down hard on Blue Knob.  Currently sitting at 26 degrees

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Winter_warlock said:

Fwiw.

.  is it me or did the Nam get a lot colder in 6 hours since 18z  lol for  mason Dixon line south 

namconus_asnow_us_9.png

Kutchera maps are 1-2”’ in eastern PA. .6+ ZR

9 minutes ago, Winter_warlock said:

Fwiw.

namconus_asnow_us_9.png

I’d sure say so, as for the most part in both yours and my areas around Baltimore outside of a few more flakes have pretty much seen the last of our real accumulating snow with this one. Now sure if you go 10-20 miles north of here there will be LOTS more snow tonight before even there changes over. 

Orrrrrr is our area’s around Baltimore truly NOT done with the accumulating snow, guess we will have to wait and see what the NAM has cooking. 

• Like 1

WSW updated for NWNJ extreme NEPA added an inch to the range.  4-7"

• Like 2

YES. First snowday of the year.

• Love it! 1

3 minutes ago, AccuChris said:

Latest forecast update from NWS CTP...good info and again hammer away at the freezing rain worries:

This is what I was fearing earlier, Im starting to loosen up a little though because of the whole re-fluffing of colder air in place and perhaps a more neutral trough on the primary low, but I could be very wrong here to. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KENNYP2339 said:

This is what I was fearing earlier, Im starting to loosen up a little though because of the whole re-fluffing of colder air in place and perhaps a more neutral trough on the primary low, but I could be very wrong here to. 

Well Kenny  it is safe to say that I speak for many when I say I hope you are right !

7 minutes ago, Fire/Rescue said:

I’d sure say so, as for the most part in both yours and my areas around Baltimore outside of a few more flakes have pretty much seen the last of our real accumulating snow with this one. Now sure if you go 10-20 miles north of here there will be LOTS more snow tonight before even there changes over. 

Orrrrrr is our area’s around Baltimore truly NOT done with the accumulating snow, guess we will have to wait and see what the NAM has cooking. 

Agreed!!  It seems like a ever changing  situation. . !! Might even change yet again in the next 6 hours!!!

10 minutes ago, clindner00 said:

Including last nights snowfall, we are up to 5” and coming down hard on Blue Knob.  Currently sitting at 26 degrees

For the season or this storm? Just kidding that's where I stand for the season. 🤣😥

• Haha 1