Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spring Fever Spreading

Will Spring be on time for your region? Join the Conversation >> Long Range Spring Outlook

PA road DAWG

February 12-13, 2019 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

I’m starting to wonder if we’re going to roast and go to rain and all this hyped up snow and ice won’t come to fruition.  Certainly seems that may be the case while looking over latest guidance 

I was expecting to see something on radar or the ground by this time for my area and there's nothing.   I guess I should go to work.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I was expecting to see something on radar or the ground by this time for my area and there's nothing.   I guess I should go to work.

I also have to beat feet out of town, need to beat the rt23 Honda Prius team, both cars like riding side by side with each other but do 10mph under the normal speed of travel. 

29 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

lol.. woke up at 5am to deal with work crap (do we delay or not?).. it's barely snowing here, 1.25".  Radar looks weak.

Yeah I only have 1.75" and it's not doing anything at the moment.

46 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

lol.. woke up at 5am to deal with work crap (do we delay or not?).. it's barely snowing here, 1.25".  Radar looks weak.

It’s not doing anything here.  Was supposed to start late last night early thing morning  and still nothing 

2 hours ago, Anthonyweather said:

Thanks

This dry slot in eastern pa blows

Technically speaking, that's not a "dry slot", it's dry air wedged down the east side of the Appalachians, owing to the strength of the CAD.

3.2°

DP -3.2 imby

Screenshot_20190212-061828.jpg.afcfebd1e27b6e319a4981b509c9ff83.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is the dry slot.

Screenshot_20190212-062624.jpg.9fbee23bc064e98726a27d804be3bc0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's trying to pop a low near OBX, I just don't think it has enough upper level support.

Screenshot_20190212-063544.jpg.662e22d1d2cf89d7fa30c30ed63225c2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love it! 1

As I said, trying, this little complex has a slight rotation.

226830344_MHX_loop(3).gif.ffefff24259cf02c4ac4bd3a12a4bd2d.gif

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

6 30 am here in sparrows point. Still 32 degrees and cloudy skies

A very fine mist 

Kids school closed, so now I have to take a day that, IMO, I don’t need to take. 

Maybe an inch here, but the flakes are as fine as dust.

4 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

It's trying to pop a low near OBX, I just don't think it has enough upper level support.

Screenshot_20190212-063544.jpg.662e22d1d2cf89d7fa30c30ed63225c2.jpg

That might be what Kenny was talking about last night. No panic here yet as I do not expect this to bust but I expect one nasty day,,,time will tell

6 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

As I said, trying, this little complex has a slight rotation.

226830344_MHX_loop(3).gif.ffefff24259cf02c4ac4bd3a12a4bd2d.gif

Hmmm I don't think that was forecasted !! Lol

5 hours ago, ArlyDude said:

SImmer down there.  It's a slop storm for most on here in the major population area so it doesn't bring much excitement.

don't shoot me, but i think the slop storms are more fun to track.

• Hell NO! 1
  • Haha 1

The brunt of this storm is heading in quick now for most of PA.  The eastern edge of the snow was eaten up by low level dry air and weak forcing/lift since the band last night was so far out in front of the main storm.  Most will have a brief return of snow but a quick transition to sleet and then freezing rain at least for the PA folks.  My temp during the snow last night was 30F. It is now 28F with a DP at 26. Heavy precip is knocking on the door.  I only have 2” of snow and I know some places have less.  This is worst case for icing as there isnt much snow to absorb the ice first.  If they scraped up snow on the roads overnight this could become a skating rink quickly

• Like 3

Started snowing lightly last night about 7 PM (after receiving about 1" yesterday morning).  Got a little under 2" last evening and last night.  Now freezing drizzle.  Temp at 29.

13 minutes ago, poconosms1 said:

don't shoot me, but i think the slop storms are more fun to track.

They are more nerve-racking that's for sure lol

I think in total I got about 1.5 inches of snow, ice and ZR.  Basically a mess lol

1 hour ago, Winter_warlock said:

Although no precipitation is currently falling now at 5 26 am here. Temp is at 32 and I just had a heck if a time trying to scrap all my windows!!!!

I knew  forecast would be a bit wrong when it was forecasted to be a low of 34 where I live and I was already down to 32 last night when i saw the forecast lol.  

Yea man I’m currently sitting at 31 degrees with light freezing rain and as to be expected it rather icy to say the least. The main roads are “ok” but slick and slushy in spots however as soon as you get onto secondary roads and into neighborhoods and or parking lots is when it becomes completely iced over and in many places all but UNPASSABLE. 

We just returned to the station following a call around 6am and I snapped this photo thru the windshield of the fire engine I’m driving to show the completely glazed/iced over road ways. 

8B869B4C-31BC-4FCB-9D6B-1E818A7A9536.jpeg

BD4E8EA7-975C-46AA-AA91-51FD29A25CA9.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Wow! 2

An updated obs: that leading edge of heavier precip has hit and it went straight to a mix of sleet and freezing rain.  Temp is 28F

Edited by AccuChris

Seeing what Chris is seeing. Our light snow stopped for about 5 minutes and started back up as sleet. Not sure if we will see any of the bad stuff here, and will go straight to a cold, rainy day. Bad call on the part of the schools,

Heading to work. Sleeting in Princeton Junction.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KENNYP2339 said:

I also have to beat feet out of town, need to beat the rt23 Honda Prius team, both cars like riding side by side with each other but do 10mph under the normal speed of travel. 

Lol.  We had a knobber like that on Canistear on my evening trip home...If I saw him on 23, I'd take some serious risks to get around him as you're stuck on Canistear.     He'd go up the hills at 20-25, 30-35 in the flats unless someone tried to go around...then it was swerving and high speed to prevent passing.  By the time we got to our town 6 miles later, he'd have 30+ cars behind him.    Serious road rage inducing.     Haven't seen the old codger in a while, maybe he stroked out.

radarlocal.gif<< Nice cad sig on the radar.

Still awaiting flakes since Sunday, none to be seen here so far. Maybe a quick hit of snow for me with the dew at 8 and very dry air things may be interesting with an extended mix/ZR?

OBS

Overcast and Breezy

29°F | -2°C

• Humidity 41%
  • Wind Speed E 24 G 30 mph
  • Barometer 30.35 in (1027.9 mb)
  • Dewpoint 8°F (-13°C)
  • Visibility 10.00 mi
  • Wind Chill1 5°F (-9°C)

radarwide.gif<< Wide view of a nice juicy system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Haven't seen the old codger in a while, maybe he stroked out.

I know who your talking about lol, we have a few blue platers on 515 that do the same thing.. almost everyday.. i also just pass now, I cant keep getting riled up 

Looking like a lil something popping up off obx... good news for the CAD environment

2019_02_12_07_17_48_NWS_National_Mosaic_Enhanced_Radar_Image_Full_Resolution_Loop_Internet_Expl.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1