Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

PA road DAWG

February 12-13, 2019 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

When I got up this morning we ended up with 4 inches of cement.  Slush on the bottom with a crust of freezing rain.   32.9 degrees now after a high of 40.3.  Lets hope for better things down the road.

• Haha 1

Last one for awhile as power flickers on and off again. Tonite will be way worse than last night. 30+ mph winds + heavy icing. A limb just banged against the house. 

I've been thru this so many times. Nothing worse than ice. 

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 2

Godspeed MDBR, Godspeed.

6 hours ago, lynniethelurker said:

Whoa!! What's up with these wind gusts all of a sudden??

Winds kicked up in my area this afternoon as I went out around 12:30pm to shovel.  I'm so glad I left a nice layer of snow underneath which made shoveling a lot easier. However the front of the driveway that had the mess the plow left was brutal to remove. About 3-4 inches of snow with about an inch of sleet/ZR on top. When I was done, the winds picked up more and a nice squall came through. BEAUTIFUL, it lasted for about 20 mins. I heard there would be wind but never thought they would be that intense. 

So happy the morning sun melted most of the ice off of the tree limbs and power lines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheRex said:

How much snow did Montreal end up with?  Last night the radar showed heavy snow funneling toward the Montreal area. 

Sorry for the late answer  , snowblower stopped working and im trying to find the problem.

Here i mesured 14" but with the wind there might be more than that perhaps 16" would be it.

I stayed up until 4 am and i can say at times it was so heavy that 5 min after the grader cleared the snow on the street it was all white , this was around 11pm  , then at 2am the second time they came around only the loader was there just to clear the road as the conditions were so bad that clearing the snow with a grader wouldn't make any difference.

This lasted until 4 am when from that time to 5 or 6 there's was a dry slot which for sure would have put acculumulation even higher.

I saw that you got 9.5" which is a great amount too.

Great storm but the dryslot was dissapointing though.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

44 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Last one for awhile as power flickers on and off again. Tonite will be way worse than last night. 30+ mph winds + heavy icing. A limb just banged against the house. 

Good luck sir! Ice is indeed the worst, I hope for the best for you.

45 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Been through 2 ice storms that had me feeding a genny for at least 4 days.  Good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, telejunkie said:

I never took you as a pessimist RT...now Doorman...he was a pessimist...I think. Often he would just post a map of the Pacific and write something like "see what I'm saying..." and I'd be like "wait...i didn't know you said anything and no, I don't see". Maybe that was just me though...

Knew Doorman quite well, and we kept in touch for awhile after. He was a pessimist and a realist, and he luved to teach people and hated mode hugging. Taught me a lot, and to be pessimistic because a lot more has to go right vs. wrong to get a good storm around this region. So have found that leaning in the pessimistic side has probably gotten me on the right side vs. wrong side more often than not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Snowpack has refrozen into sheet ice. VERY slippery - watch out tomorrow, you may think it's wet & sloppy snow but it's deadly! At least IMBY.

4 hours ago, Stl said:

Sorry for the late answer  , snowblower stopped working and im trying to find the problem.

Here i mesured 14" but with the wind there might be more than that perhaps 16" would be it.

I stayed up until 4 am and i can say at times it was so heavy that 5 min after the grader cleared the snow on the street it was all white , this was around 11pm  , then at 2am the second time they came around only the loader was there just to clear the road as the conditions were so bad that clearing the snow with a grader wouldn't make any difference.

This lasted until 4 am when from that time to 5 or 6 there's was a dry slot which for sure would have put acculumulation even higher.

I saw that you got 9.5" which is a great amount too.

Great storm but the dryslot was dissapointing though.

Here's a few pictures just to compare from last Friday and today. I didn't show the sidewalks because there is none as they are all covered  since plowing them was too hard which is something that  happen only in major storms.

thumbnail_P_20190208_131122.jpg

thumbnail_P_20190213_200411.jpg

thumbnail_P_20190213_200439.jpg

Edited by Stl
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, MDBlueRidge said:

On a serious note. God bless these lineman working the mountain this evening. Working in terrible, dangerous conditions to bring back power. Which we've now had for a bit. This wind isn't going to stop and the power will keep going out tonite. Theres 4 of their trucks on my road right now. Good men they are. 

Although, one of them flicked me off, have to imagine it's @KENNYP2339

Not me this time around, my company did send 2 crews from each shop down there to help yesterday morning, They didn't need the big guns down there so I stayed home, but I told my shop crews about you... I think there just Jersey waving to everyone they see. 

6 hours ago, Stl said:

Here's a few pictures just to compare from last Friday and today.

I always find it amazing when I come across a video of post storm clean up in your area, quite the operation with all the machinery and endless amount of dump trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one is happier than these guys this am. Thank you men. 

One big branch broke and slammed top of our house. Only some shingle damage. 

Made the wife and I leave the bedroom quickly. 

I have petitioned old man winter to end his b.s. sorry friends. 

0214190752a_HDR.jpg

Edited by MDBlueRidge
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 3

The freeze-thaw created a skating rink this morning.  The crust was strong enough to slide on and not break through.  You had to actively stomp to break through and get purchase, or you were sliding.  Not fun.  The dogs had to go into four-paw-drive, with claws.  

I hope today's thaw allows enough melting to clear things before the coming precip.  Rough going.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MDBlueRidge said:

0214190752a_HDR.jpg

Glad to hear that you have power back, and everyone is safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KENNYP2339 said:

Not me this time around, my company did send 2 crews from each shop down there to help yesterday morning, They didn't need the big guns down there so I stayed home, but I told my shop crews about you... I think there just Jersey waving to everyone they see. 

I always find it amazing when I come across a video of post storm clean up in your area, quite the operation with all the machinery and endless amount of dump trucks. 

Ya snow removal is quite something , yesterday i went out and one of the contractors around here had maybe 0.18 miles long convoy of trucks which i have to admit it's really something too see. It's true that with all that snow these kind of big contractors have enough machinery to perhaps clean a street in 30 minutes or less which with smaller contractors or the city it can take maybe an hour or more.

Another thing that just say that the storm was major is that the contractor with that long convoy usually have much less machinery and dump trucks so it speak for itself i guess.

3 hours ago, MDBlueRidge said:

0214190752a_HDR.jpg

WOW! :classic_ohmy: You sure have had your share of these ice events. I'm glad everyone is OK. Have a safe clean up.

17 hours ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

Winds kicked up in my area this afternoon as I went out around 12:30pm to shovel.  I'm so glad I left a nice layer of snow underneath which made shoveling a lot easier. However the front of the driveway that had the mess the plow left was brutal to remove. About 3-4 inches of snow with about an inch of sleet/ZR on top. When I was done, the winds picked up more and a nice squall came through. BEAUTIFUL, it lasted for about 20 mins. I heard there would be wind but never thought they would be that intense. 

So happy the morning sun melted most of the ice off of the tree limbs and power lines.

I watched our local weather at noon, and they were issuing squall warnings for the afternoon. The winds really picked up, had a few light squalls come through. I wasn't planning on going out in that, but my chickadees were not having anything to do with the "cheap" birdfood we got in an emergency situation. Had to run to the local feed store for some "Chickadee's Choice"....they'd better appreciate it!!!

• Haha 1

Even though it's a bit late, here's what ended up happening in my neck of the woods of east-central PA...

We got maybe 2-3 inches of snow before the changeover to sleet, which lasted a good few hours. In that time, I think it added up to between a half inch to an inch of sleet... and then the freezing rain came in. Thankfully, we didn't go above what looked to be about .10" of that nasty crap, but it did add one hell of shine to the snow/sleet on the ground. When the sun came up on Wednesday, it was like looking at mirrors all over the place. The snow/sleet was reflecting everything to the point of it hurting my eyes, but it made for quite a sight in large, open areas (the ice was smooth enough that you could see the branches of the trees in the reflections on the snow/sleet). The wind that followed this mess dried the roads pretty well by late afternoon, but there was still a bit of ice on the trees when I took a walk last night (I could hear it falling to the ground and shattering at times).

So yeah, we thankfully didn't get hit as hard as what happened in January, but it still made a Mongolian CF of the roads for a time.