Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

junior

February 11-13th Winter Storm OBS

Staff Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, weather_boy2010 said:

Well, I didn't get the snow I so desperately want this winter, but did end up with the largest ice storm we've had in years here. Ended up with just under 0.50" of ice at my house around 4am this morning before it started melting. Power has also been out since a similar time. I was not able to get any good photos because it was dark, and now it's mostly melted off the elevated surfaces. We're getting some snow now, huge snowflakes:

IMG_2991.MOV

same 

Official snowfall report a few miles east of me is 4.9". Snow has completely tapered off for now - we will probably get another 1-3" on this back end wrap-around snow tonight.

Regardless, holy crap did everyone overblow this one. Whole area is shut down over a 5" snow. I just can't believe this these days. 

Huge wet snowflakes IMBY...sitting at 36.5 degrees!

2 hours ago, MidMichiganWX said:

Official snowfall report a few miles east of me is 4.9". Snow has completely tapered off for now - we will probably get another 1-3" on this back end wrap-around snow tonight.

Regardless, holy crap did everyone overblow this one. Whole area is shut down over a 5" snow. I just can't believe this these days. 

That is the power of legal litigation.  Schools, businesses, etc. are being held responsible for decisions that are made regarding weather.  It is a simple thing, if you feel it too unsafe don't go.  We are losing the ability as a society to make sound decisions for ourselves.  Rant over.

Edited by beaver56
  • Like 1

Power is out near me until late tomorrow night, pretty rough go of it this morning. Ice is starting to melt now and crash off the trees and everything else. Sounds like it's hailing with some of the bigger chunks.

Nothing exciting to report. Temp struggled to hit 40° IMBY so far. 50° just 25 miles south atm.  The cold woods has helped produce some fog. (Foggier than pic shows.)

Spoiler

7B052D69-0C58-4C3F-90E1-6BB8C8DDF675.thumb.jpeg.9c29526ee5a02dff7a2d972a18c35429.jpeg

• Like 2

Snow picking up again. Probably get another 1-3” which puts us right about where they said for totals. 

4 hours ago, MidMichiganWX said:

"Americans love to sue everyone and everything" I quickly learned that schools will rather close than deal with the threat of any legal litigation. Personally I think we as a country and society don't grasp weather and the impacts at all. That leads to a lot of false beliefs regarding the field as a whole. 

Edited by SEMIwx

5 minutes ago, SEMIwx said:

"Americans love to sue everyone and everything" I quickly learned that schools will rather close than deal with the threat of any legal litigation. Personally I think we as a country and society don't grasp weather and the impacts at all. That leads to a lot of false beliefs regarding the field as a whole. 

Meh. I never remember it being like this when I was growing up and I’m only 29. 

I mean everything closed up here. I’m not just talking public schools, I’m talking universities, banks, and businesses. Seeing credit unions close is mind boggling to me. 

• Like 1

Light, fluffy, dry snow outside coming down at a decent clip. Very windy which isn't great b/c a lot of the trees still have ice on them. Everything will certainly be gone by Thursday, though! 

I feel like Charlie Brown when all he gets is a rock in his Halloween candy bag. All I got was an inch of rain from this one.    Had tons of fog all day and a few bursts of scattered snow showers as the gusty wind wrapped around behind.   Ready to load up the next one. Sooner or later one of these is bound to pay out. Hopefully before April!!  Also feeling bad for those who got the damaging ice from this one. For all of its intricate beauty I would still never wish an ice storm on anyone.   The power infrastructure usually gets back up and going pretty well in these modern times, but the scars left on the trees and forests haunt for years, even decades. I can point out stands of leaning trees near here that are the result of an ice storm we had almost 25yrs ago.  Don't want to jinx anything, but feeling way over due for another one. And the sort of systems we have been having around here this year only make me more nervous.  Here's to plain good old fashioned heavy snow! 

• Like 1

Snowing pretty good here mixing with sleet but sticking to pavement. Leaving work now I’ll let you guys know how the roads are.

dont think it’s sleet mixing in just those snow pellets. Grapple if you will.

super windy too cause reduced visibility 

Edited by Snow_____