Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

junior

February 11-13th Winter Storm OBS

Staff Recommended Posts

FWIW, the last 4 runs from the WPC.

0D409A19-30D5-4FB5-BF6A-5C1C84F4D2E9.png

Here is the latest from WPC. (The same as the bottom panel shown in above post.)

BBF783A0-BB74-4EFF-8CAF-5B7337E0B8C5.gif.447cf76af44fe46b9bc43b30023ad31d.gifCB8542EB-880E-4FB0-85C3-8EAD7AB6841C.gif.b9d788404a9432f90a1d0a564feca6e0.gif

Honestly this far into the new year, and after last Monday's 50+ day, I wouldn't mind it just warming up and being beautiful now. But the problem is always the same. We'll get caught in these warm patterns when we want the cold, but then when we finally decided we're ready for warmth, we'll get 2 months of 35-45 degree slop and drear with at least 1 more big synoptic snow sometime in Mid-March after we've had a taste of a few 55 degree lollipops. 

While I do hope this one shows us in SEMI and Ohio some love, if it ends up being a wash out, I think I may start hoping the rest are wash outs too, and we get some early above average warmth. I need to clean out my garage.

Plus, I would prefer an earlier warm up of the lakes this year. It makes camping/swimming up at the dunes much more enjoyable in early august to not have Lake Michigan at 40 degrees!

• Like 3
  • Hell NO! 1

28 minutes ago, Pros3lyte said:

Honestly this far into the new year, and after last Monday's 50+ day, I wouldn't mind it just warming up and being beautiful now. But the problem is always the same. We'll get caught in these warm patterns when we want the cold, but then when we finally decided we're ready for warmth, we'll get 2 months of 35-45 degree slop and drear with at least 1 more big synoptic snow sometime in Mid-March after we've had a taste of a few 55 degree lollipops. 

While I do hope this one shows us in SEMI and Ohio some love, if it ends up being a wash out, I think I may start hoping the rest are wash outs too, and we get some early above average warmth. I need to clean out my garage.

Plus, I would prefer an earlier warm up of the lakes this year. It makes camping/swimming up at the dunes much more enjoyable in early august to not have Lake Michigan at 40 degrees!

Outside of that bizarre spring of warmth in 2012, I never think of spring till late April. Only difference between March and early April weather from November is the sun is out longer. Sustained warmth with green grass and golf not here locally till end of April. 

• Like 1

yeah most of the people in this thread should never really associate March with spring on average, unless you live south of the OH river. March averages just under as much snow as December here so I would assume that's relatively true elsewhere

6 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

yeah most of the people in this thread should never really associate March with spring on average, unless you live south of the OH river. March averages just under as much snow as December here so I would assume that's relatively true elsewhere

Heck, growing up in W KY, some of our biggest snows came in March. 

12z GFS slightly better for folks in Chicago area now takes the low directly over Chicago rather then thru nw IL up to western WI on 6z so still a cutter but slightly less.

12z CMC follows GFS with stronger low in NW Indiana and nice snows around Chicago area.

Edited by ILSNOW
Update

3 straight central Lakes cutters on the 12z GFS, leaving the OV with more rain/slop. If this is accurate, going to be a brutally bad 12 day stretch around here.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding

Euro stronger and further NW than GFS, tracks between Des Moines and Cedar Rapids and really explodes this baby and then slows it down (also like the GFS). 

UKIE is SE and thru central Indiana. 

3 minutes ago, chicagosnow said:

Euro stronger and further NW than GFS, tracks between Des Moines and Cedar Rapids and really explodes this baby and then slows it down (also like the GFS). 

I must have been thinking of a different run as the 12z GFS does NOT slow it down over Iowa. Apologies. 

As a note to all. Please be careful of the language used within these forums. I know at AccuWeather we used foul language and made off color jokes, but we have to be a little more careful about how we react here. This forum is used by those under the age of 18 as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicagosnow said:

It looked like Euro was further SE on the 12Z vs 0Z run. Appeared  like SLP went SE from the plains into West Central IL  than NE through the Chicago vicinity.

Screenshot_20190208-131223_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190208-131330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Cary67

WPC’s Friday PM update:

AABBB55F-8210-4C6C-AE18-4318CF67A450.gif.f9afa1a3a97d197003b02bb45e5bb833.gif47DA06D0-909D-4FC7-89D3-6A348DD29890.gif.239ff93fddbd9850e5d28cce37ca72d0.gif

15 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

2.png

Don't have access to Euro precip maps. Thx. Looks like NW burbs fare well with 8-10". Several  days and many changes ahead though.

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

It looked like Euro was further SE on the 12Z vs 0Z run. Appeared  like SLP went SE from the plains into West Central IL  than NE through the Chicago vicinity.

Screenshot_20190208-131223_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190208-131330_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have no idea what I was looking at, lol

Wow - after a warm first week of Feb. filled with flooding rains, here's the potential that the OV winter lovers have to look forward to over the next 10+ days...just brutal. Upper Midwest getting a mega jackpot this Feb.

cutter1.png

cutter2.png

cutter3.png

cutter4.png

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Wow - after a warm first week of Feb. filled with flooding rains, here's the potential that the OV winter lovers have to look forward to over the next 10+ days...just brutal. Upper Midwest getting a mega jackpot this Feb.

cutter1.png

cutter2.png

cutter3.png

cutter4.png

We should probably create a thread solely dedicated to February OV flooding if this 10 day QPF is anywhere near accurate:

flood.png

8 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

We should probably create a thread solely dedicated to February OV flooding if this 10 day QPF is anywhere near accurate:

flood.png

Thank goodness I live in an area whose ground is sandy enough to not really flood.  Sum pump has never run since living in our place built in 2011.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

Thank goodness I live in an area whose ground is sandy enough to not really flood.  Sum pump has never run since living in our place built in 2011.

Sump pump still running here . :classic_laugh:

Horrible winter here in the lower Ohio Valley. Predictions of a snowy winter couldn't have been more wrong. UGH!