Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

Sign in to follow this  
SNOWBOB11

February 12th-14th Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Snowgeek93 said:

I respectfully disagree. While I love snow and tonight's weather it's not unreasonable to want/expect some sun after weeks of mostly gloomy weather. Just because it's winter doesn't mean we can't have sunshine as well.

Haha i know, i admit i am missing the sun too,man one day we will be dealing with humidex values again,last summer was brutal!

^^^

I’m the same way. If it’s not snowing, I want sunshine. Unfortunately such weather is rare in the Great Lakes. Instead, endless slate grey skies dominate our winters.

Off topic: July and August are the only months I’ll give up sunshine. I’ll take an extremely wet pattern over a cool and dry pattern if it’s accompanied by consistent warmth.

picked up 5cm today in an hour in an amazing squall.  It is a beautiful wintery scene out there with all the trees glistening with ice and 17cm of snowpack.  This last month has been tremendous despite the ice storms and one huge warm rainstorm.  A fantastic stretch of stormy winter weather!   I suspect that 12-hour squall that dumped 40-45cm will be my highlight of the winter and I'm fine with that.  I'd take a highlight like that every year if I could! 

Completely unrelated to this storm but I came across this site that has free euro model precip maps as well as snowfall map. It’s a little odd that the precip maps show snow in green but for free it will do. For anyone interested here it is.

https://www.theweather.net/models/eu-united+states-ecmwf-103.htm

Edited by SNOWBOB11
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

Completely unrelated to this storm but I came across this site that has free euro model precip maps as well as snowfall map. It’s a little odd that the precip maps show snow in green but for free it will do. For anyone interested here it is.

https://www.theweather.net/models/eu-united+states-ecmwf-103.htm

Feb 20th looks interesting 

But one can dream :classic_love:

Received between 35 and 40cm in the end , it was great storm despite that dry slot in the early hours who for sure reduced the totals.

From 11pm to 4 am the bands were so heavy that any snow plows would basically just plow to make the street driveable without even caring about the street condition.

Here's what it look like tonight.thumbnail_P_20190213_200411.jpg.b65f24f1da6ba0fbd78c65bcf75f3e4a.jpgthumbnail_P_20190213_200439.jpg.3bf17ae767c515afdfb62186d00388bb.jpg

Edited by Stl
  • Love it! 1
  • Wow! 1

9 hours ago, Stl said:

Received between 35 and 40cm in the end , it was great storm despite that dry slot in the early hours who for sure reduced the totals.

From 11pm to 4 am the bands were so heavy that any snow plows would basically just plow to make the street driveable without even caring about the street condition.

Here's what it look like tonight.thumbnail_P_20190213_200411.jpg.b65f24f1da6ba0fbd78c65bcf75f3e4a.jpgthumbnail_P_20190213_200439.jpg.3bf17ae767c515afdfb62186d00388bb.jpg

Wow...great storm!!  Some of those people aren't going anywhere for a while. lol 

13 hours ago, TheRealDavid said:

^^^

I’m the same way. If it’s not snowing, I want sunshine. Unfortunately such weather is rare in the Great Lakes. Instead, endless slate grey skies dominate our winters.

Off topic: July and August are the only months I’ll give up sunshine. I’ll take an extremely wet pattern over a cool and dry pattern if it’s accompanied by consistent warmth.

Not always though. We have seen plenty of sunny days in February before. Even last month saw a decent amount of sunshine compared to now. This is just a crummy weather pattern we've been stuck in. It may be stormy but we need the jet stream to get away from us and some high pressure to build in every so often.

50 minutes ago, HamiltonWx said:

Wow...great storm!!  Some of those people aren't going anywhere for a while. lol 

Indeed , well snow removal started last night all ready and tonight the right side of the street of the picture is scheduled for removal so by Sunday or Monday it will be pretty much gone around here but there's places in Montreal this can last up to 5 days without having either side remove so for some  yes  you're right they aren't going anywhere for a while.

Picked up 6cm yesterday from those bands left behind by Tuesday's system totaling 13cm from this event.

15 hours ago, Snowgeek93 said:

Not always though. We have seen plenty of sunny days in February before. Even last month saw a decent amount of sunshine compared to now. This is just a crummy weather pattern we've been stuck in. It may be stormy but we need the jet stream to get away from us and some high pressure to build in every so often.

Hmm I don't remembering past February's being that much sunnier but you might be right.

We're forecast to get some sunshine this weekend and early next week. Finally :yahoo:

It's only an interlude though. Some mets are calling for this stormy La Nina-like pattern to continue for a bit, with a pattern change possibly at the end of the month/early March. At least there will be no shortage of trackable storms forthcoming but afterwards, I'm hoping for a drier, sunnier pattern. Of course I don't mind another big snowfall to close out this season :classic_smile: