Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
US Wild Weather

Extreme active pattern across the entire US continues, what does it mean for your region? Join the conversion

Phased Vort

February 20-21, 2019 | Commander-in-Chief Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, KENNYP2339 said:

You just threw 3 pies and they all hit my face... how many more do you have?

just a couple more. 

pie.jpg

• Haha 1

I received 2 inches yesterday of snow then a little sleet/ice. The roads and sidewalks are still a mess. The rain didn't wash anything way.

People waited until the snow melted but it didn't

10.1 inches on the winter here in Brooklyn , NY

1 hour ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Pretty good ouput map here, but these are always a little rough. Lots of 6-10"'s showing up in the dark blues. 

Fun event for DC/Balt as well. 

Any crystal pictures from central PA? I didn't take any this morning. 

34 sunny, stunning degrees this morning. 

Looks pretty light around Pittsburgh as well. 

Snowfall.png

From what I saw yesterday while I was tracking the snowfall on the RADAR and using its precipitation fallen returns for some centers such as Philadelphia, Dover, DC, Baltimore Pittsburg and areas west of DC and Baltimore in and around that yellow area on the map, this image you posted does look rather accurate with the totals.

Quite a bit of ZR last night but fortunately it didn't affect the roads.  My truck that was outside had icicles on it.  Also, noticed on the way to work all the trees and shrubs covered in ice.  A good thing is that there wasn't enough to damage them or cause issues with electric lines.

2 hours ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Pretty good ouput map here, but these are always a little rough. Lots of 6-10"'s showing up in the dark blues. 

Fun event for DC/Balt as well. 

Any crystal pictures from central PA? I didn't take any this morning. 

34 sunny, stunning degrees this morning. 

Looks pretty light around Pittsburgh as well. 

Snowfall.png

Yeah that one is under doing it in Pittsburgh. This bought 3-5 inches to a good bit of Pittsburgh and surrounding areas while that map oddly has the city in the 2-3 inch range for some reason. The second one you posted is much more accurate for IMBY.

Edited by bradjl2009

2 hours ago, WeatherFlash said:

Recieved around .30 accretion of ice. Its now like a steady rainfall from the trees this morning as the warmth melts it away. 

I was wondering how you made out when we saw all the heavy ZR heading for you. Glad it work out ok. The sun is doing its thing this morning here. I doubt if I have to do any cleanup. Trees did look pretty.

Sheesh! I never sleep well the night before a storm, so I crashed early last night and missed all the ice fun! Just beautiful outside this morning here in Lancaster County. Took a few pics from the deck, it's all a-sparkle out there !!!

DSCN0767.JPG

DSCN0765.JPG

DSCN0764.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love it! 4

A mostly cloud-free view of the snow cover that survived the warm/sunny day today. Within the area of snow cover dark areas represent dense forests whereas the white areas represent open fields or farms. The heavily forested ridges stand out quite nicely in south-central PA.

2-21 Visible Snow Cover.gif

Edited by StL WeatherJunkie
  • Like 4

So in the end, we got roughly 3" of snow and .25" of ice. Nasty little storm that over produced in all the wrong ways around here in east-central PA. Of course, so did the one in January (almost the same amounts) and the one from last week (we got more freezing rain than we were supposed to).

13 minutes ago, TC1 said:

So in the end, we got roughly 3" of snow and .25" of ice. Nasty little storm that over produced in all the wrong ways around here in east-central PA. Of course, so did the one in January (almost the same amounts) and the one from last week (we got more freezing rain than we were supposed to).

This is the ice winter. Not even enough to be memorable just enough to be annoying.  Kind of what I was afraid of as a worst case scenario at the beginning of winter.  

2 hours ago, StL WeatherJunkie said:

A mostly cloud-free view of the snow cover that survived the warm/sunny day today. Within the area of snow cover dark areas represent dense forests whereas the white areas represent open fields or farms. The heavily forested ridges stand out quite nicely in south-central PA.

2-21 Visible Snow Cover.gif

Very cool post. 

South mountain is extremely to see, with valleys on either side. 

• Thanks 1