Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philly_Weather1

June 2019 | Daily OBS and Forecasts

Staff Recommended Posts

We have longwave trough swinging over, small piece ahead of it, possible also some influence from upper level low off the coast and we have some rain/thunderstorms 

Screenshot_20190601-220147_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lynniethelurker said:

Really busy couple of days, did not have a chance to check the radar, figured we were good for today and tonight. Hitting the sack early for a change and all of a sudden the wind is gusting from the west, so thought I'd check in here to see what's up. Fancy that...a thunderstorm! Do I have to go close windows now? 

Just randomly checked the radar and saw the storms.  Didn't expect them until tomorrow.

image.png.10222084abafdefd6f62af67891ce39e.png

• Thanks 1
  • One on Me 1

Sheesh! Just got 'em all closed, and a little late. We've got a four-tool storm, wind rain, thunder, lightning. Sorry for the baseball analogy, getting ready to watch the Phils on the west coast..until I conk out!

• Like 1

A little late starting the june thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the fastest moving things are they?

573417138_6-1radar.gif.02cee105a58c6fb39edf66bf7249476c.gif

• Confused 1

3hr precip - hello flooding.

image.png.47c6b83fb15e88cb49769e8e2fee8745.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

That cell just south of Poughkeepsie was warned while in Sullivan county. Warning expired but I'm still keeping an eye on it as it nears me

Rain has started as I can hear the drops hitting the skylight

Edited by Wx_WhatWX?
  • Like 1

Flood Advisory

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service State College PA
829 PM EDT Sat Jun 1 2019

PAC037-067-093-097-109-020330-
/O.NEW.KCTP.FA.Y.0039.190602T0029Z-190602T0330Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Northumberland PA-Juniata PA-Snyder PA-Montour PA-Columbia PA-
829 PM EDT Sat Jun 1 2019

The National Weather Service in State College PA has issued a

* Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory for...
  Central Northumberland County in central Pennsylvania...
  Northeastern Juniata County in central Pennsylvania...
  Eastern Snyder County in central Pennsylvania...
  Central Montour County in central Pennsylvania...
  West central Columbia County in central Pennsylvania...

* Until 1130 PM EDT.

* At 827 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to slow
  moving thunderstorms moving over an area that already has received
  large amounts of rain. This will cause urban and small stream
  flooding in the advisory area.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Sunbury, Selinsgrove, Danville, Northumberland, Winfield, Elysburg,
  Riverside, Trevorton, Shamokin Dam, Hummels Wharf, Middleburg,
  Kreamer, Port Trevorton, Richfield, Mount Pleasant Mills,
  Mechanicsville, Kratzerville, Buckhorn, Paxtonville and Mooresburg.

1 minute ago, Phillyfan said:

Well, nothing was supposed to be happening today, was it? It was like a freebie no radar checking day, very rare lately. It's really going to town out there, and getting hotter by the minute with the windows closed! Lost our DirectTv signal for a spell.

• Like 2

Didn't do a whole lot here some thunder, lightning and steady rain nothing heavy. A/C on ceiling fan going makes for a nice airflow, and first inning opener for the phils went good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lynniethelurker said:

Well, nothing was supposed to be happening today, was it? It was like a freebie no radar checking day, very rare lately. It's really going to town out there, and getting hotter by the minute with the windows closed! Lost our DirectTv signal for a spell.

We had I think a 40% chance of showers for today. I was not paying attention until the WX radio alert alarm went off

• Like 1

HRRR has them fizzling out before they get here.  Not staying up for them!  Enjoy your tstorms.  See more of them tomorrow.

• Like 1

I wish they'd stop. The thunder is, at times, enough to keep you awake. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phillyfan said:

Who noticed?  So far, it’s the same as May.

Thunderstorm, Fog, Severe thunderstorm 

Lather, rinse, repeat

• Haha 1

It rained last night?  Everything was dry by me when i left for work earlier.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2019 at 10:15 PM, StretchCT said:

That batch of rain last night was my savior, we got banged out for a working house fire and when we arrived the whole front of the house was fully involved, took (2) 2 1/2" to knock the front down, then we went inside to chase it out, I ended up in the attic with heavy rolling action above me, knocked the crap out of it then was out of air and had to get out, I was feeling pretty hot, took my pack and jacket off and the sky literally opened up, it was one of the greatest most refreshing feelings. 

E50B786A-3E71-49B1-9F50-D2C988B24008.png

Edited by KENNYP2339
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 2
  • One on Me 1
  • Wow! 3

12 hours ago, Phillyfan said:

Didn't do a whole lot here some thunder, lightning and steady rain nothing heavy. A/C on ceiling fan going makes for a nice airflow, and first inning opener for the phils went good.

Didn't see one pitch! I was completely out by that time. I see they lost anyhow, so probably a good thing I didn't try to stay awake for it.

Nice day so far. Must always add the "so far" caveat now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Tomorrow is looking like our coolest day for a long time. the record low max of 56 could be threatened. We might also have our coolest June minimum of the decade if we're lucky. This is how our coolest June minimums stack up by decade:

1950s 6/7/58 (the day the funk/rock/R&B star Prince was born)  36

1960s 6/5/64 38 or 6/1/66 (37)

1970s 6/11/72 (35) I remember the day before being blustery and March-like--our Boy Scout camping trip was cut short because of the cold weather. We came close to having flurries on June 10, I believe.

6/12/79 (a surprise cold snap abruptly changed the warm regime we had been in since June 1; the month ended up quite chilly as a whole)

1980s 6/9/80 (33) our all-time coolest for June; we narrowly avoided both snow and a freeze officially

1990s  38 (?) (6/2/94)--We had lots of 39s (and I believe one 38) that decade. I know for sure that it fell to a daily record of 38 on June 4, 1998.

2000s 37 6/1/01 and 6/1/09

June 1, 2009 was the last time it has fallen below 40 in the month of June here. We have a huge opportunity for 30s on Tuesday. It should fall to 38-41. Even if it only falls to 41, it will equal the current standard of coolest June day, 41 degrees on 6/7/15. That morning caught me by surprise because the previous afternoon felt fairly warm in the bright early-June sun. However, the winds died down, creating perfect radiational cooling. However. the warm air quickly returned that afternoon as we were up to the low-to-mid-70s.

Edited by bobbo428
spelling error
  • Like 3

had some "rippers" come through, Hail and all. 

Just another Sunday. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MDBlueRidge said:

Just another Sunday.  

I would enjoy seeing some hailstones--despite all of the moisture, this has been a dud of a year for thunderstorms:  Tuesday's predicted severe storms were anything but. Yesterday showed major severe potential, but all we had was a brief, moderate shower. Today saw a briefly heavy shower, but today's rainfall end up being a predictable three eighths of an inch. We haven't broken a daily precipitation record since January 24. That is good, however, because we don't need floods. We urgently need a week or two of dry weather. We haven't had a truly dry June in 15 years, however. 

Edited by bobbo428
factual error corrected
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MDBlueRidge said:

That was not hail brother, those were just all the empty beer cans blowing around and hitting your house. 

• Haha 1

OH MY = its 55 degrees here right now and tonight I am looking at temps in the mid 40's this is ridiculous it is June !!!

• Like 1

Let the cool weather continue, :classic_biggrin:. **ducks**

I know many love the summer, but I find the heat repulsive.  Wearing a hoodie in June is sublime, helps with the mosquitos which tried to carry me away when mowing yesterday.  We haven't had a whole lot of sunny days, but no real wash outs either, just cool, and showery.

This wicked high wave number pattern is resisting all attempts at a pattern shift.  Cut off and closed lows all over the northern hemisphere.  Blocking galore, looks like about 8 planetary waves.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_4.thumb.png.7888dc19f6d51e577904257911bdfc5f.png

• Like 5
  • Love it! 1

We plunged to 40 degrees this morning--three degrees cooler than predicted and our lowest of the 2010s for the sixth month of the year! The last time we were this low was 10 years ago, when it plunged to 37 on June 1, 2009. Can we reach the 30s tomorrow morning? Will we reach the record low of 38? It would be our first daily record low minimum in June since 2010. Record lows are difficult to set in early/midJune because of all of those sub-40 records set mostly in the 1970s and 1980s.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I don't see any sign of rain today...

DROUGHT WARNING!

• Haha 3