Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
telejunkie

July 2019 | Daily OBS and Forecasts

Staff Recommended Posts

Surprised nobody has started the July thread yet...so may as well kick this off. Looking like we get some rising heights as this week progresses before they settle back down with a cold front settling south this weekend and what looks like a building western ridge later next week with a very zonal overall look otherwise. Nothing like Europe that's for sure....

It's July and it's not raining!  Yay!

Maybe a bit tomorrow, sure, but what a way to start the month.  As of now, calls for t-storms here and there, but none severe or long.  Let's see how things hold out.  My last wet spot on the lawn just dried, after Saturday's deluge.  I literally just headed over there and looked.  Damp, but no longer standing water.  Will be actually dry by the afternoon.

• Like 2
  • One on Me 1

Finally some sleep lol, (2) sets of 16's from the weekends storms at a weird time got me all screwed up, I was working from 6pm to 10am, then sleep till 4pm and start the cycle again, Tomorrow there maybe afternoon t-storms N and west of NYC metro, hopefully nothing big, but something to keep an eye out on. 

• Like 1
  • One on Me 3

3 hours ago, KENNYP2339 said:

Finally some sleep lol, (2) sets of 16's from the weekends storms at a weird time got me all screwed up, I was working from 6pm to 10am, then sleep till 4pm and start the cycle again, Tomorrow there maybe afternoon t-storms N and west of NYC metro, hopefully nothing big, but something to keep an eye out on. 

You a dispatcher?

9 hours ago, STEVE392 said:

You a dispatcher?

nope, power co. 

Posted (edited)

Aaaaaaaaand, we're back!

Nothing too crazy going on.

image.png.eff9c585dae4443bdc0664ec5ff4f167.png

Edited by Miller A

The humidity has gone up 5% in the last couple hours, getting juicy out there.

• Hell NO! 1
  • Sad 1

This has been one of the most boring years ever for severe weather. We have had about four thunderstorms this year, and all of them merely produced moderate rain. Places 10 miles to my north, south, east, or west often get torrential downpours, but we end up getting about a third of an inch of rain in five hours.

Knocking on 90's door here.  Storms around, but mostly north and east so far.  Hope it stays that way.

4 hours ago, KENNYP2339 said:

The humidity has gone up 5% in the last couple hours, getting juicy out there.

My thumbs down on your post isn’t personal, of course, just how I feel about the heat and humidity...🥵

• Like 1
  • One on Me 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Maureen said:

My thumbs down on your post isn’t personal, of course, just how I feel about the heat and humidity...🥵

get the roof fixed? 

• Sad 1

Getting pounded with rain and wind

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phillyfan said:

Getting pounded with rain and wind

GEEEZZZZ!!! your area has become the storm magnet of the east coast the last 2 weeks .

WUNIDS_map?num=6&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy=240&brand=wui&delay=15&frame=0&scale=1&transx=0&transy=0&severe=1&smooth=0&centerx=400&centery=240&station=DIX&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&noclutter=0&showlabels=1&showstorms=10&rand=26035187
Edited by Wx_WhatWX?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KENNYP2339 said:

get the roof fixed? 

The tree is gone, tucked away until we need a Festivus pole. The rest waiting on the next Home Depot run. Good times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

GEEEZZZZ!!! your area has become the storm magnet of the east coast the last 2 weeks .

WUNIDS_map?num=6&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy=240&brand=wui&delay=15&frame=0&scale=1&transx=0&transy=0&severe=1&smooth=0&centerx=400&centery=240&station=DIX&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&noclutter=0&showlabels=1&showstorms=10&rand=26035187

It was insane, visibility was very low with the rain and wind. Trees were bending quite a bit. power went out at 6:30pm and cable and interenet went down after 7:30pm. Got cable and internet back still waiting on power. Comical 197 outages in the county and 175 in my township. 

• Wow! 3

Posted (edited)

Heat bubble in effect tonight. Temps in the city near 80 in places.

rtma-nyc-t2m_f-2128200.png

Edited by WeatherDudeNYC

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, WeatherDudeNYC said:

Heat bubble in effect tonight. Temps in the city near 80 in places.

Ever since I was a kid and still today, I find it amazing to ride the edge of the heat bubble, I use to spend many summer days at my grandma's house in Rutherford and when my dad would pick us up in the evening it would be horribly hot down there, the ride home was also hot (he hated AC) so the car windows would be open, we would travel back up to Sussex Co taking rt3, rt46 then rt23, the heat bubble edge was always on RT23 the boarder of Bloomingdale & West Milford, cross over the Hamburg tpke bridge and bam... drop of 10 deg's. To this this day when I work late in the summer and I cross that bridge, the temp still drops 10 deg's, def takes me back to those simpler days. 

Edited by KENNYP2339
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

I have to say that I am amazed at how some folks seem to actually like this weather. If you have a pool ok I get it, but otherwise how can anyone enjoy this disgusting hot soupy air? I'll take winter over this any day.

• Like 3

South Jersey just getting pummled this summmer!!!!  

I had a few sprinkles last night but nothing more than that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interested to see what transpires next week. Ensembles saying a quick west coast trough gets replaced by a quickly developing bubble that jacks up a +PNA looking structure...while downstream over western Great Lakes ridging quickly disappears and replaced by a long wave troughing for the eastern CONUS. Don't think models have a good handle just yet...time will tell.

Edited by telejunkie
  • Like 2

Downpour last night, so hot and humid. Plus I've contracted some awful malady, fever, chills and sweats, headaches off and on since Friday. I never get sick in the summer, I'm so bummed.

• Sad 5

41 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Interested to see what transpires next week. Ensembles saying a quick west coast trough gets replaced by a quickly developing bubble that jacks up a +PNA looking structure...while downstream over western Great Lakes ridging quickly disappears and replaced by a long wave troughing for the eastern CONUS. Don't think models have a good handle just yet...time will tell.

If ridging over GL, would that translate to cooler temps for us with chance of rainy days?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, STEVE392 said:

If ridging over GL, would that translate to cooler temps for us with chance of rainy days?

Ensembles place us in a dry NW flow to start the week...so until a cold front comes through (as models are saying), it should be a dry start to the week. But if that GL ridging translates east (as they often do) and puts us more in a moist flow, then could see some more pop ups until after the CF moves through...I'm leaning towards a more robust warming trend middle of the week, but little support from models for my idea.

Edited by telejunkie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bobbo428 said:

This has been one of the most boring years ever for severe weather. We have had about four thunderstorms this year, and all of them merely produced moderate rain. Places 10 miles to my north, south, east, or west often get torrential downpours, but we end up getting about a third of an inch of rain in five hours.

Maybe you should move to the other side of town

image.png.5273b9212776d76205b0d73866eb8ff6.png

image.png.065ac2d04616b5dc1c3cbea7d64dab82.pngimage.png.2ba387ea715c526e55c9f568eecb411c.png

image.png.9f7c907c4ee1f9d967027f7c38b3f145.pngimage.png.530f0009c48e65f8f955d519fd2e7726.png

image.png.8e081fb2ffbcfca413e53ea3e510a5e0.pngimage.png.a4a986e4582716ae74dafe4ed500ab38.png

• Haha 3