Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PlanetMaster

Happy Birthday WX Disco!

Staff Recommended Posts

PhotoFunia-1565068379.jpg

Wowzers I cant believe its been a year already! Seems like yesterday we were all shocked by the announcement of the Accu forums going the way of the Dodo. 

When I heard the news about Accu in early August, I think it was @StretchCT who emailed me, I was taken aback and was devastated to be honest. It wasn't the fact that it was Accuweather forums, could've been any site, but the members who I came to know and like for their own enthusiasm for the weather.  So without hesitation I could think of only one thing, lets get a site up asap cause whats the use of continuing to post there when it will be gone soon. Plus, hey, this is what I do so it was an easy decision and in 48 hours we were up and running.

Its been a crazy year but I am so very pleased with our membership, in my opinion the best online. I have friends here that I never met in person but genuinely care for, just one of the strange oddities the internet provides. I know for a fact we have the best staff of all weather sites, knowledgeable, helpful, and truly dedicated to the site and its members. There has been some controversy as well, and I feel I did the right thing dealing with those situations. No matter what a few may feel about me by taking appropriate action and holding staff accountable it is in the best interest for all. No one should ever feel unwelcome or that they cant post/express their opinion without backlash especially from staff. I have read so many posts on accu and other forums how other sites suck cause the staff may be rude and disrespectful or they treat certain members like punching bags. Every member including staff, deserves respect and should be protected by staff not ridiculed because of personal feelings. That's just how I like to operate a community and my birthday wish is to have those members return to start off our second year on an up note, We all make mistakes, I make like 3 a day and its not the end of the world, this is where they belong, I don't think you will see posts on other sites about WX Disco staff other than they are very professional and the members, no matter their background, come first. I think we do a good job in upholding that concept and I applaud them for volunteering their time to help me with the site.

Now I had planned to have the new site at least ready for regular use today, even without all the new features but I am behind a bit. My unforeseen medical scare, the changes to my daily schedule because of that scare and just the enormity of the project I am trying to bring to you guys is not ready. I hope to have, at the very least, all the current areas of the site ported over so we can begin work on the new stuff. I am looking at a minimum of a week maybe a bit more. Actually have another upgrade to do on the theme which came out yesterday and pretty much refactors (changes) all the styling code, lucky me. So I have to go back from the beginning and update everything and that's at least a couple days. So will keep you guys posted.

I am very happy and proud to be a part of this site and all its members. I hope to be here for many more years to come and give all the members the best I can offer. You guys and gals are WX Disco and make this site a success.

A huge hug and thank you to all for supporting us, for being your genuine selves, and for your love of the weather.

~Gary

PS: Please help us in our second year and support the site financially if you can

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it! 12
  • One on Me 1

Wow it's been a year already? Time really did fly by. 

• Like 1

Happy Birthday! Happy Happy Birthday!!!

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot to mention that all members with warnings, except for a couple that cant live without them, have had their slates wiped clean. A sort of present or piece of birthday cake for the occasional naughtiness :classic_tongue:

Some stats from year one;

• Besides our 1673 unique member visits, we received over 1.27 million visits from unique guests
  • Members have uploaded about 75 GB of media (images, video)
  • Database contains over 700,000 records and is 500 MB in size
  • WX Disco is the only weather forum and/or site online (This includes NWS and other high profile weather sites) that is 100% security compliant, including PCI, Hippa, and NIST
  • compliant.PNG
  • Our mail servers security and privacy level is rated in the top 2% of all internet sites better than Google's Gmail, ProtonMail, and pretty much any other top site online.
  • We get hit, scanned, and probed for vulnerabilities by hackers and spammers over 5000 times a day, all fruitless attempts of course
  • We have had 46 hours of downtime due to gross incompetence at the OVH data center, otherwise we have had a 99,99% uptime record
  • Members have given 410,654 reactions in posts
  • Our generous membership has supported the server 9 out of the 12 months and one very generous member paid the $625.00 annual IPS license.. Awesome!
  • @lynniethelurker  IS great with an iron

One more strange fact, @MDBlueRidge has visited McDonalds 4 times in the past year via Amish Uber

325645736535_rred.jpg

• Love it! 1
  • One on Me 1
  • Haha 13

This past year has flown by. Happy Birthday WXdisco. Thank you @PlanetMaster for all your hard work, to all the helpers and especially to all the members. 

Cheers for a awesome fall/winter this year!

• Like 4

Happy birthday WX Disco!

Congratulations to the members, supporters and staff for making this milestone possible.

Together we make WX Disco awesome and our online hangout porch.

• Like 2

Gary, I know how much time and effort you've dedicated to this forum, and it's important for you to understand how much you're appreciated. We would have all gone our separate ways last August, but thanks to you, we have this awesome site. I want to thank you for making Wxdisco a welcoming, fun, educational place to be, it's like home to me now! ❤

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY, Wxdisco! ❣😊

• Like 5
  • Love it! 1

Just now, lynniethelurker said:

Gary, I know how much time and effort you've dedicated to this forum, and it's important for you to understand how much you're appreciated. We would have all gone our separate ways last August, but thanks to you, we have this awesome site. I want to thank you for making Wxdisco a welcoming, fun, educational place to be, it's like home to me now! ❤

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY, Wxdisco! ❣😊

:classic_love: Wow that just made me blush and get a teary eyed feeling, never experienced that kind of emotion from something on the internet. Thanks so much and it is truly my pleasure. I would have been lost without continuing what Accu started all those years ago. I own and have worked on many sites and communities but to me this is home, not just a web page but a family gathering everyday. We got through our freshman year with class and the understanding that the membership is 100% the site and I couldn't ask for better bunch of individuals to associate with each and everyday. Now that we are established its time to take the next step and redefine weather communities online, I am all in for whatever comes next. Our great membership makes it easy to go beyond my best, it inspires me to no end and that is priceless in my book.

• Like 5
  • Love it! 1

Happy Birthday, WX Disco!  May this site (and all of us) have many more wonderful years to come! 

• Like 4

:5a6fc8a481c36_Keep-Calm-And-Drink-Beeremoticon:Happy Birthday WXDisco.

Thank you Gary for all of your hard work and dedication to the site. This is an awesome place to discuss and  learn weather. The membership is second to none.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Happy birthday time does fly wow!

Got to say you guys are doing an amazing job, took over for a site that we all went to for many years and didn't miss a Beat!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Posted (edited)
Happy happy oh my friend
Blow out candles once again
Leave the presents all inside
Take my hand and let's take a ride
Backwards down the number line
You were eight and I was nine
Do you know what happened then
Do you know why we're still friends
Laughing all these many years
We've pushed through hardships tasted tears
We made a promise one to keep
I can still recite it in my sleep
Every time a birthday comes
Call your friend and sing a song
Or whisper it in to his ears
Or write it down just don't miss a year
You decide what it contains
How long it goes
But this remains
The only rule is it begins
Happy happy oh my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TEcEfUMOcc

Edited by StretchCT
  • Like 4

I remember the closing of the Accuforum announcement like it was yesterday.  I was on vacation, at the beach, and should have been nothing but smiles.  But I just had this vacant look. Stunned.     Middle  of summer, no one around  online.   I checked who hadn't logged in and started emailing them.  We were going to migrate to this other forum meant more for technical and equipment, than observations and forecasts.  Actually, we did.  Nice people, said hi.  Then @PlanetMaster comes up with this crazy idea of doing it himself.   I have to admit I was skeptical...but wow did he come through.   I've spent more time here than on Accuweather and even during lulls like we're in I still check in daily. Its a nice family, although, I do miss some of the casualties.  

Oh I never said good bye to that other forum or thanked them for housing us for a week.  I still go there for equipment questions, but have lost the bookmark somehow. 

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

18 hours ago, StretchCT said:

I remember the closing of the Accuforum announcement like it was yesterday.  I was on vacation, at the beach, and should have been nothing but smiles.  But I just had this vacant look. Stunned.     Middle  of summer, no one around  online.   I checked who hadn't logged in and started emailing them.  We were going to migrate to this other forum meant more for technical and equipment, than observations and forecasts.  Actually, we did.  Nice people, said hi.  Then @PlanetMaster comes up with this crazy idea of doing it himself.   I have to admit I was skeptical...but wow did he come through.   I've spent more time here than on Accuweather and even during lulls like we're in I still check in daily. Its a nice family, although, I do miss some of the casualties.  

Oh I never said good bye to that other forum or thanked them for housing us for a week.  I still go there for equipment questions, but have lost the bookmark somehow. 

Hi, i to missed some who have left. i learned so much from them and they gave me the confidence to post in threads. Before I was a scared rabbit. But they were willing to teach and now I'm no longer afraid. If I'm wrong with a thread post, I learn and keep moving forward.  

Here is the link to the forum a lot of us did join. Your right they have excellent info on weather equipment especially PWS's. I still go there so times when it is very slow in here or I need info on a new gadget.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

Here is the link to the forum a lot of use did join. Your right they have excellent info on weather equipment especially PWS's. I still go there so times when it is very slow in here or I need info on a new gadget.

Not a lot of activity there.  Found one updated thread.  Poor guy got lambasted for suggesting the earth is warming. New guy too.  I hope we never treat a new guy like that...

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37565.0

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

8 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Not a lot of activity there.  Found one updated thread.  Poor guy got lambasted for suggesting the earth is warming. New guy too.  I hope we never treat a new guy like that...

GEEEZZZ! that is a shame. That new guy is always welcomed here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wx_WhatWX? said:

GEEEZZZ! that is a shame. That new guy is always welcomed here.

Somebody could drop them a pm over there and say come on over (I still have an active account there).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

However, I did find the Weatherflow thread for @Mike W IN ALTMAR The two main issues I see in it are the rain gauge is 70% accurate and the thermometer doesn't do well in the sun, which its exposure is necessary due to solar power. 

Ahhh, the helicopter is going over.  Someone's home early tonite!

Posted (edited)

The thermometer for the Weather flow is run by batteries and meant to be put in the shade(prevents false readings)..The rain gauge is powered by solar and meant to be put in the sun..(calculates UV index) Most of the reviews are outdated and minimal testing has been done..They use "haptic rain rain sensor " to measure the rain which I'm pretty sure is new , ironing out is still needed.. I'll bite eventually just not yet lol..

BTW happy one year anniversary to WXdisco, hopefully many more to come..:classic_biggrin:

Screenshot_20190806-212830.png

Screenshot_20190806-212857.png

Edited by Mike W IN ALTMAR
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Its a nice family, although, I do miss some of the casualties.  

The casualties, as you put it, are probably not who you think they are. They are the members like @nwsscott who was lambasted for expressing his opinion and put down unfairly due to personal feelings by former staff and that cannot be allowed. It was a very tough decision on my part and believe me I took no joy in it but if one allows bias and overlooks staffs involvement in discriminating against members then the sites integrity is lost. From my experience,  over the years, these situations have to be taken care of immediately or you can put this site along side with all the others that don't care about it's members. Those "former" staff members had a simple choice, to face it with dignity and take responsibility for their actions or do what they did which garners no respect. No one said they could not continue to be valuable members of this community just didn't work out as staff that's all. No one was booted or told not to come here it was their decision and as I always say they are more than welcome to join the conversation. I have no ill will towards any members but I have a damn tough job keeping this site a class act above the rest and some may not understand it but just take a look at the link @StretchCT posted and you will see what a site with no administration and non caring staff becomes.

Those sites are a dime a dozen and anyone is more than welcome to join them and be part of that garbage, WX Disco and it's members deserve better. That will never happen here. Whether you agree or disagree with peoples opinions we all have the right to express them and staff is charged with protecting that right not ridiculing it. That is the cornerstone of WX Disco and that will remain intact as long as I am the owner.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

Congrats on the 1 year anniversary! Much appreciated.  :)

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StretchCT said:

That is as sad as it gets. Weather people resistant to talk about the climate which weather and meteorology are wholly based on. Climate change has 0, zero, nada, zilch, zip to do with politics. Sheep all of them and how unfortunate that the site, who we have a very nice member from, @saratogaWX, has gone to shit. 

Thanks everyone!

I may be mainly a lurker, but I consider you all to be valuable resources and friends here on wxdisco.

Reading your reports and your prognostications on the whys and the wheres of our weather are a daily routine for me. @PlanetMaster deserves every bit of praise for springing to action when the notification went out that Accuweather was shuttlecocking their forums.

We have a new home now.

Thanks everyone!!

• Like 1
  • One on Me 1

1 hour ago, PlanetMaster said:

That is as sad as it gets. Weather people resistant to talk about the climate which weather and meteorology is wholly based on. Climate change has 0, zero, nada, zilch, zip to do with politics. Sheep all of them and how unfortunate that the site, who we have a very nice member from, @saratogaWX, has gone to shit. 

Climate change predates politics. Unless you count politicking over who gets the biggest piece of mastodon. 

• Like 1