Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Solstice

Thread Creation Guidelines

Staff Recommended Posts

Hi all, we have been noticing a decline in the quality of threadmaking. This comes at a critical time for our "growing" period as a forum/website, as many different users are viewing the site everyday. The quality of opening posts is imperative to not only transferring members from AccuForums, but also attracting new members. Due to the urgency of this, I have drafted these general rules, but expect more to be added at any time as staff revise them.

Thread Creation Guidelines:
1. Before starting a thread, check if the thread already exists.

2. Poster must keep the title in accordance with thread title format. Preliminary format is (Month Date1-Date2, Year | Event Title), additional descriptors can be added if needed. This thread title format will have a separate rules & regulations thread once we finalize them.

3. The original poster must include more than a simple sentence when producing a thread. This does not mean simply adding an image is acceptable. Add a description of the event, the pattern involved, etc. Adding discussions are looked favorably upon.

4. Images cannot be posted without any analysis, unless you are grouping images together and analyzing them as a group. Analysis should be organized and readable.

5. Long textual products should be contained in quote blocks, and any image groups should be contained in spoilers. For more detailed information, see this thread.

6. Please add tags that are relevant to the storm. For example for a heat wave, add: heat, heat wave, hot.

Here are examples of good thread openers:
http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=33532
http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=33486 (read down to end of Poc's analysis, it is multiple posts).

I made a short thread example in here too. Obviously more OFM would make it better.

NOTICE - regarding brief breaks in a pattern:
Brief breaks in the pattern, such as a one-day warmup in a cold thread, or a one-day cooldown in a warm thread, should not be the sole cause of a new thread. In the event of "brief breaks," append a "*" to the end of the end date, for example, "October 12-27*, 2018". The staff will note the dates that do not "fit" in a thread message.

I concur with these sentiment and guidelines. I won't be harsh if any need changed - it will be a balance though, to tamp down "lazy" openers v. encouraging participation. 

Is there a way to add a pop up or something so that when "create new topic" is selected, the pop up comes up on the screen (at least initially) with these guidelines posted? 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, UTSwiinii said:

Is there a way to add a pop up or something so that when "create new topic" is selected, the pop up comes up on the screen (at least initially) with these guidelines posted? 

There is a rules option for each forum, we currently aren't using them but for the active weather forums it may be a solution. I'll have a look at see how it works.

I see some having issues with posting weather bulletins or discos in quotes, the formatting is lost. Heres how to do it right.

Highlight and copy the text you want from the NWS page

copydisco.PNG

Then in your post set your cursor in a blank line below or above other content, click quote

quote1.PNG

Quote box appears

quote2.PNG

Paste clipboard in the quote box

FXUS61 KOKX 190008
AFDOKX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
808 PM EDT Tue Sep 18 2018

.SYNOPSIS...
A cold front will move south of the region this evening. High
pressure then ridges down southeastern Canada tonight through
Wednesday night. High pressure passes east Thursday and Friday
as low pressure moves into Canada. Warm front passes to the
northwest Friday, followed by a cold front Saturday. The front
settles to the south into early next week as high pressure
builds to the north.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...
Although the high risk of rip currents has ended for the
evening, a moderate risk will persist into tomorrow. Refer to
the surf zone forecast for more detailed information for area
beaches.

Otherwise, main adjustments this evening are to reflect current
precipitation trends, with rain quickly ending from west to
east.

For tonight, with the low and front moving farther away, drier
conditions will move into place as surface winds become more
northerly. High pressure will begin to build in tonight from the
Great Lakes.

Rain is primarily light to moderate and only across Long Island
at this time. Dry conditions develop into tonight with high
pressure starting to build in. MAV/MET blend was used for low
temperatures ranging from the low to upper 60s.

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
For Wednesday and Wednesday night, mid and upper level ridging will
gradually move in from the west. At the surface, high pressure will
continue to build in from the north.

When pasting you will see a box open just above the attachment link asking if you want to paste as plain text, DO NOT click this you want the dynamic text

quote3.PNG

If you paste as plain you get this below which I have been seeing around the board, not pretty and more difficult on the quick read.

quote4.PNG

So paste text in the already launched quote box, try to avoid select all and then quote. Never paste as plain text when doing any type of discussion from NWS. If you continue to have issues it could be settings in your browser preventing copying of dynamic text or your clipboard application. In this case, on a PC, copy the text into Windows wordpad or similar text application on other platforms and then copy into board, should work. if it doesn't work at this point you're pretty much screwed. :6:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just curious if you have....or if you will have a FAQ section.  One of the issues that I had over at the old boards was learning the basics that many members already know.  For example....when do the various runs occur?  What are some of the abbreviations being discussed in threads?  Miller A vs Miller B?  Just as some examples.  

Is there any plan to create a master thread to be the one stop shop of we users can go to find out some of the basics that the experienced folks are already aware of that the novices (like myself) could learn from?  It may be helpful as this place grows (especially during the winter months).

Thanks!

• Like 1

Good question, there is a weather Q&A but members continue to post these type questions in storm threads and they get buried so they get asked over and over again. The purpose of the weather Q&A was for those simple and everyday questions to archive them in one place so all can find those answers. I have asked the mods to delete these type posts from storm threads and to PM the poster to re-post in the weather Q&A.

I guess I'll get it started

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, Ricbr said:

Just curious if you have....or if you will have a FAQ section.  One of the issues that I had over at the old boards was learning the basics that many members already know.  For example....when do the various runs occur?  What are some of the abbreviations being discussed in threads?  Miller A vs Miller B?  Just as some examples.  

Is there any plan to create a master thread to be the one stop shop of we users can go to find out some of the basics that the experienced folks are already aware of that the novices (like myself) could learn from?  It may be helpful as this place grows (especially during the winter months).

Thanks!

We do have a Meteorology 101 site that you can go to by hovering over  or dropping down Browse.  MJ provided the NWS glossary.  I added terms and acronyms that we used throughout last year in the terminology threads. 

https://wxdisco.com/meteo-101/weather-classroom/

• Like 1