Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Solstice

Kilauea 2018 Eruption

Staff Recommended Posts

Might as well start this thread. Looks like the eruption has waned... 🤔.  Could this be the end of the Kilauea eruption, beginning renewed activity at Mauna Loa, or is the volcano merely taking some time off?

Lava Flow Map

image-539.jpg

Aerial View of Fissure 8 Cone

multimediaFile-2573.thumb.jpg.ad39e8d9693d6382910342e32ff72bf3.jpg

• Like 1

Only time can answer that Solstice, this video states that the #8 fissure has slowed but ocean entry is still active. The information shows at 0:50 of the video. Click on the picture at the top that has video superimposed on it.

Daily Photo & Video Chronology of Kīlauea

Here's live stream of the cone don't forget the 6hr time difference from EST | EDT: 

[note] On August 20th I cleaned up this post and added the same link here as in my post below. There seems to be a lot of buffering compared to the same video on YouTube If you go there you'll notice the same red artifact in the upper right area of the video it's only visible when its night-time there. [/note]

Here's A list of cams from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory

This shows over 6hours of eruption from Fissures 20 and 17:

This feed is from a camera at a residence about a half a mile from fissures 20 and 17. We have permission from the homeowners to broadcast from their home.

Source: Kilauea Lava Flow Activity In Lower Puna Hawaii May 21, 2018

From the beginning of the year to about May into June YouTube had live videos from just about everyone until it became too dangerous, and it was difficult to tear yourself away. Make sure you have the sound on.

Edited by Cignus
See Note below first video....
  • Like 1

Second video of the lava plumes is amazing. What it must feel like to be that close up and experience it live and in person. 

539.gif

Sometimes I can't figure youtube out. The "Live" video in my OP (original post) is not live, it was when I first posted it but it isn't now. You can tell when there is a timer instead of where the word LIVE should be.

I tried to put a new live video in place of the one that is there but either I forgot how to do it or something else was stopping me from inserting it.

I think I remembered, here's the new live, lets see how long it lasts:

• Like 1

Black sand beach formation at Pohoiki Boat Ramp

multimediaFile-2590.thumb.jpg.12c8f6a69e39c5bf3f434254055f4e05.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like they have some dredging to do if they want to continue to use that concrete/macadam  ramp. Also there's some ripple action in the lower left corner; Trapped fish or a vent?

Volcanoes set their own time clock and rules.