• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phased Vort

January 12-14, 2019 | Winter Storm

Staff Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, weathernerd said:

we are just over 12” in Reston, VA near Dulles Airport. NAM and SREF did best shockingly enough

Congrats. We have around 9 inches here in Fairfax and we couldn't be happier. It's been a long snow drought since January 2016 but this little over-performer has put paid to that. This has been a great two-part storm!

20 minutes ago, weathernerd said:

we are just over 12” in Reston, VA near Dulles Airport. NAM and SREF did best shockingly enough

I suspect we are around a foot as well (Aldie/Arcola) S/W of IAD.  messed up my snow board earlier in the day.  But even with the mess up I had round 10.5 inches during my last dump.

Edited by DarthHokie

Tremendous numbers from down around Dulles! Awesome! 

2 hours ago, konka said:

Thundersnow reported in MoCo MD.

I'm in Germantown we have well over a foot.

IMG_20190113_202233.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

10" here in Martinsburg WV. I work in Chantilly near Dulles and most people down there are saying 10-12"

Still light snow here, we definitely got another solid 3-4" from the second wave. It appears the wind direction is changing now and the radar seems to confirm that. 

• Love it! 1

OPM has closed all federal offices in the DC area tomorrow.

2 hours ago, DarthHokie said:

I suspect we are around a foot as well (Aldie/Arcola) S/W of IAD.  messed up my snow board earlier in the day.  But even with the mess up I had round 10.5 inches during my last dump.

You're right down the road, I'm out in Middleburg - this second blast seems to have gotten us to near a foot as you say.. wow!

We never received anything from the second half. So much for the additional 2”-4” over here. Glad to hear that area got a lot and I’m off today. Good luck on next weekend storm.

So, folks, how was the fun with this one?

I hope this one helped many of you feel happier about the winter and gave you renewed energy to go hunting for the next one.

The central VA area northeastward towards DC stayed under the area of precipitation from the original low pressure that was decaying which was also the same area of precipitation that got enhanced from an overachieving coastal redeveloping low pressure. Hence the reason that on the RADAR, that shield of precipitation didn´t move much at all until the coast completely took over and resumed its track out to sea.

The coastal redevelopment was better organized as some NAM runs showed and more to the north closer to the coast, which helped, coupled with the aforementioned situation above,  pound the DC area, and give some love to areas in southeast PA, and northern Delmarva.

This one turned out pretty nice for the folks in the central Mid-Atlantic. :ok-access: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Final count is just around 10 inches for me. I will throw together the time lapse later in the week.

• Love it! 1

Wound up with around 10. Last night was a good thump. On to the next one!

0114190739.jpg

• Love it! 3

Ended up around 7-8 inches not as much as we thought  but I will always take snow little or a lot. 

2 hours ago, Phased Vort said:

So, folks, how was the fun with this one?

I hope this one helped many of you feel happier about the winter and gave you renewed energy to go hunting for the next one.

The central VA area northeastward towards DC stayed under the area of precipitation from the original low pressure that was decaying which was also the same area of precipitation that got enhanced from an overachieving coastal redeveloping low pressure. Hence the reason that on the RADAR, that shield of precipitation didn´t move much at all until the coast completely took over and resumed its track out to sea.

The coastal redevelopment was better organized as some NAM runs showed and more to the north closer to the coast, which helped, coupled with the aforementioned situation above,  pound the DC area, and give some love to areas in southeast PA, and northern Delmarva.

This one turned out pretty nice for the folks in the central Mid-Atlantic. :ok-access: :classic_biggrin:

Just thought I would thank you and all the regulars, we got more sleet/freezing rain, than snow, so not the fun kind of storm, but I was pleased when I came in to work this morning to here complaints of how "they" all got the forecast wrong.  I guess the reference was to some of the local tv mets who were calling for 4-8 inches as of Saturday.  Oh well, I don't watch any of the tv mets, and from what I was seeing here it was fairly obvious by Saturday we were going to be in the mix zone.  Kind of sad, I mean, I know nothing, and still know more than some of my colleagues.  Glad to see the northern half of the state and DC area get a long overdue nice snow. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Just thought I would thank you and all the regulars, we got more sleet/freezing rain, than snow, so not the fun kind of storm, but I was pleased when I came in to work this morning to here complaints of how "they" all got the forecast wrong.  I guess the reference was to some of the local tv mets who were calling for 4-8 inches as of Saturday.  Oh well, I don't watch any of the tv mets, and from what I was seeing here it was fairly obvious by Saturday we were going to be in the mix zone.  Kind of sad, I mean, I know nothing, and still know more than some of my colleagues.  Glad to see the northern half of the state and DC area get a long overdue nice snow. 

We thank you for your account. 

The storm actually looks to ramp up after it leaves out in the open Atlantic. Looks to drop almost 40 in in Nova Scotia. 973 millibars. 

namconus_ref_frzn_secan_30.png

2 hours ago, wtkidz said:

Ended up around 7-8 inches not as much as we thought  but I will always take snow little or a lot. 

Eh, close enough for government not at work.

Only upset for me was the wasted precip yesterday afternoon when it changed over to sleet and freezing rain. I like my snow straight, not on the rocks. 7 inches in my back yard. And not melting much yet. Still stuck to the tree branches.

Newbie here...not a weenie, and have been around the block so to speak...it is nice to have a forum to reference when winter rolls around! The thing I try NOT to do is jump on and off the model train, this far out. Trends are important as you know, but nothing we can even call a trend (except for the fact that there SHOULD be a storm in that time frame) I am optimistic of the fact that the pattern is developing as we speak for a fun end of January, regardless of what happens with this one. Looks like a lot of knowledge on here, some impressive insight too- great job guys

• Thanks 1

Congrats to the Mid-atlantic area. I just wonder when this NYC or NJ snow hole will break down. Otherwise I will not be coming on WxDisco that often for the rest of this winter until this snow hole breaks down. I have other things in my life to focus on.

awesome to see the difference coming from lanc to baltimore. Glad to see folks that have been plagued for years getting into snow. Ended up with about 2 inches up my way. Who knows maybe its the year that Philly to boston doesnt get much. it was bound to happen eventually, but still too early to make that claim. Im sure there will be at least one good snow storm to come through.