Sign in to follow this  
RobBucksPA

Rob’s Personal Weather

Staff Recommended Posts

Delightfully chilly

Crescent moon

Lawn the consistency of cool risotto

• Like 1

The fierce wind is blowing away all the leaves that I didn't get to rake because they were matted down with rain!!! Always look on the briiiiight side of life! :laurel-and-hardy-dancing-smiley-emoticon:

Mud-a-palooza this past weekend.  I'm confident that it is merely "mud-a-palooza 1."  Since there has never, ever been a break in the precip here in SEPA, the water remains everywhere.  As we enter the wet season, it will be an ongoing nightmare.  The subsequent mud-festivals will be beauties, I'm sure, since the weather simply never, ever gives up.  We are pummeled with water and wind, wind and water, with the occasional deep freeze tossed in.

Fortunately we now have near-hurricane gusts, and I just received an email telling me that my house is without power.  Great.  

The weather in EPA has been merciless, since July.  I can count the number of Nice Days on one hand, and still have fingers left over.  I have redefined "nice" to mean "ground is frozen, so at least I can let the dogs in without cleaning their paws."  It is absurd.  There is nothing we can do about it, but that doesn't make it nice.

A 65 degree day, with a dry lawn and sunny skies?  That's a unicorn.  Madness to even think it will ever happen.

• Like 1

Here comes another serious cold snap, behind the snow. We won’t see temps above freezing for many days, in March. 

Seasons continue to slide, it seems. 

Ah, Spring...

Do you see that cute puppeh in my profile?  He's a beauty, isn't he?

Yeah, well, he was crippled by the water this weekend.  Being a water dog, and all, the mud from last week's deluge got stuck in one of his paws.  Now, we clean his paws - literally dunk each of them in a bucket of water, run our fingers through the webbing between his toes to clean them out, dry them off, etc. - every time he goes out in this slop.  It's an event, several times a day.  This is one of the key drivers behind my looking to install some serious drainage in my backyard in the coming years.  I've never needed it before, but our new "Waterworld" version of EPA will require it.

Anyhow, we missed a bit on Saturday morning.  By Saturday night the mud had hardened into what amounted to a stone, wedged between the pads of his paw.  We discovered it when he was limping.  Red, inflamed, and infected.  We cleaned it, of course, and disinfected, and he's on the mend - but he was a mess for about 24 hours.  

All because of the mud that we now view as normal.

Hey, Spring is always muddy around here.  I get it.  But not like this.  As I've said many times here. we are now on a knife's edge.  The water table is so high that even a normal "dry out," like we might see this week, doesn't give us any buffer for the next rain.  Even 0.5" will flood.

We were laughing, yesterday, at all of the "Street Flooded" signs that are just kept by the side of certain roads, now, face down but ready to be brought back into service in minutes.

We could, seriously, use 2 or even 3 weeks without rain.  Nobody is asking for a drought - we all know how miserable they can be - but a normalization to the long term would be most welcome...

Puppeh is healing, largely because... NO WATER!  It hasn't rained in quite a few days!  Amazing.  

If tomorrow delivers on its promise, it will be MID-70'S AND SUNNY!

I might faint.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, RobBucksPA said:

We could, seriously, use 2 or even 3 weeks without rain.  Nobody is asking for a drought - we all know how miserable they can be - but a normalization to the long term would be most welcome...

And... we are getting it!  Isn't it glorious?

Since there are no Active Weather posts for my region, allow me to say that Actively Speaking, the weather is OK.  April Showers are forecast pretty much everyday, and miss me pretty much every day.  A touch here, and a touch there, but mostly dry.  The water table remains so high, however, that last weekend's deluge - just one, not lasting very long - resulted in lawn puddling at a large scale, with percolation being sloooooow.  It's dry now, but just.

I know that this brings you to the edge of your seat, as it should.  Mediocre weather is exciting stuff.

Carpenter bees are everywhere, but there's no stopping them.  Hornets are looking to build nests and, unlike the bees, alight on spots where I can spray them.  Die, vermin.

Owlet was blown out of its nest a couple of weekends ago, which was kind of sad.  You never think of the impact of a wind-storm on critters, but there you go...

Spring is busting out all over, which is what's supposed to happen.  Nice.

I've read that much of the US corn crop is threatened by all of this water.  I'm sure that some if it is hyperbole, for now.  It's a bit early to declare the season lost, but it's certainly possible if things don't dry out eventually.

Here in EPA I have my personal garden planted, and it looks like we'll make it if the forecast holds.  Cold, but not freezing.  Very wet, but we might get a break in 48 hours.  If the soil dries a bit, the plants won't rot.

As always: we'll see...