• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MesoscaleBanding

January 20 - February 1 Arctic Cold

Staff Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, CincySnow said:

Dont really know where to leave this @ohiobuckeye45 @RobB , but are either (or anyone for that matter) familiar with this weather station: 

https://www.weathershack.com/product/la-crosse-technology-v40-pro.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1603171561&utm_content=63591864627&utm_term=&utm_product=V40-PRO&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9j24OD93wIV0LXACh1PIgy3EAQYECABEgLhVvD_BwE

if not, is there a weather station you prefer more than another? Appreciate anyone’s feedback. 

Obviously, it depends on how much you want to spend.  I still have the original Davis Vantage Pro 1, but I have replaced the PCB and Anemometer.  In my setup, I have two Consoles and a Weatherlink package connected to my pc.  Al this together is very expensive.  Are you wanting to connect to your pc and therefore online, or is this something for your personal obs?  Davis has a ore affordable solution in the Vue.  That is also something to consider.

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

Obviously, it depends on how much you want to spend.  I still have the original Davis Vantage Pro 1, but I have replaced the PCB and Anemometer.  In my setup, I have two Consoles and a Weatherlink package connected to my pc.  Al this together is very expensive.  Are you wanting to connect to your pc and therefore online, or is this something for your personal obs?  Davis has a ore affordable solution in the Vue.  That is also something to consider.

Yea more so for personal usage versus actually connecting to the PC, however, that may be an option down the road. I’d like to start out basic and work my way up

I replaced my Acu Rite 5 in 1 a few years ago after it pretty much disintegrated.  Spent too much time searching around and finally settled on this Ambient Weather station. I'm happy with it. Easy setup, easy connect to web.  Seems to be fairly accurate. 

• Like 2

balmy 2 degrees tonight probably get below zero at some point schools are mostly closed tomorrow extending that MLK day weekend to 4 days because honestly most could get away with a 2 hour delay as this could isnt going to stick cant believe it will be almost 50 and rain in 30 some hours but here we are

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hassaywx1990 said:

balmy 2 degrees tonight probably get below zero at some point schools are mostly closed tomorrow extending that MLK day weekend to 4 days because honestly most could get away with a 2 hour delay as this could isnt going to stick cant believe it will be almost 50 and rain in 30 some hours but here we are

This next storm disappoints me in a big way, Mother Nature just can't let us have a decent snow pack this winter!

Lake effect here finally ended this evening, with skies quickly clearing since. As a result, temps have plummeted. Down to -9.1 F currently. Negative double digits should certainly be doable.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

With my property on a long gradual slope, MBY doesn’t “hold” the cold air well.  Made it down to -3 this morning before the cloud moves in.

Hit -5° at around 11 p.m. last night before temperatures started to rise

15 hours ago, gillamonstar said:

I replaced my Acu Rite 5 in 1 a few years ago after it pretty much disintegrated.  Spent too much time searching around and finally settled on this Ambient Weather station. I'm happy with it. Easy setup, easy connect to web.  Seems to be fairly accurate. 

@CincySnow this is actually the one I'm looking to get. Looks like a good in between price and quality. Disappointed to not have it yet for this cold snap just havent gotten around to it and probably also ordering the "cinder block" mounting bracket

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

@CincySnow this is actually the one I'm looking to get. Looks like a good in between price and quality. Disappointed to not have it yet for this cold snap just havent gotten around to it and probably also ordering the "cinder block" mounting bracket

Thx OB and gilla. I do like the looks of the ambient weather station.

What the frank and beans...

output_k2h0F8.gif.a2cfdae1ef4e75218ab5655f103785e3.gif

Lows in the -30 to -40°F range in MN and IA by the middle to end of the week?! Doubt it will happen, but it's impressive to see such severe temps even modeled.

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, weather_boy2010 said:

Lows in the -30 to -40°F range in MN and IA by the middle to end of the week?! Doubt it will happen, but it's impressive to see such severe temps even modeled.

Seeing below zero temps for nearly three straight days IMBY would be absolutely brutal.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Lincoln IL
254 PM CST Wed Jan 23 2019

...BITTER COLD WIND CHILLS EXPECTED...

ILZ027>031-036>038-040>057-061-240900-
/O.NEW.KILX.WC.Y.0001.190125T0000Z-190125T1800Z/
Knox-Stark-Peoria-Marshall-Woodford-Fulton-Tazewell-McLean-
Schuyler-Mason-Logan-De Witt-Piatt-Champaign-Vermilion-Cass-
Menard-Scott-Morgan-Sangamon-Christian-Macon-Moultrie-Douglas-
Coles-Edgar-Shelby-
Including the cities of Galesburg, Toulon, Peoria, Lacon, Eureka,
Canton, Pekin, Bloomington, Normal, Rushville, Havana, Lincoln,
Clinton, Monticello, Champaign, Urbana, Danville, Beardstown,
Petersburg, Winchester, Jacksonville, Springfield, Taylorville,
Decatur, Sullivan, Tuscola, Charleston, Mattoon, Paris,
and Shelbyville
254 PM CST Wed Jan 23 2019

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THURSDAY TO NOON CST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills from 15 to 25
  below zero expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central, east central and west central
  Illinois.

* WHEN...From 6 PM Thursday to noon CST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The cold wind chills could cause
  frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Chill Advisory means that cold air and the wind will
combine to create low wind chills. Frostbite and hypothermia can
occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure you wear a hat and
gloves.

I'm already dreading the following warm up. I need to learn to live in the moment! lol

8 hours ago, weather_boy2010 said:

Below are the h5 from the EPS and Euro for 12z, 30 January 2019. Likewise, I have included h85 for the same time frame. That's more 60N than 40N latitude portrayals. 

image_2789411_19700118_170441.jpg

image_2791413_19700118_170442.jpg

image_2793415_19700118_170443.jpg

Hi All,

Long Time lurker first time poster.  Just saw this graphic from LOT.   Interesting to see NWS offices commenting on the models at this point. 

2FFB104A-92E2-4783-BF61-D5C0D45941FB.png

Edited by DBriggs419
  • Like 1

National Weather Service Grand Rapids MI
654 AM EST Thu Jan 24 2019

Temperatures/wind chills for the middle part of next week could
be the coldest we have seen in many years, and even in the life-
threatening category. It is seldom we see -30C or colder air at
850 mb flowing into MI, and high temps next Wednesday could
struggle to get above zero. It also looks like there will be a
good deal of wind during this time, so wind chills colder than
minus 25C look quite possible.

I've been really loving the mild winter because our heating bill has been super low guessing Jan and Feb are going to be a bit more on the high side..

Edited by MidMichiganWX

Brett Anderson (AW) on January 11: "The cold coming into the eastern Prairies and eastern Canada late this month into early February does not look extreme at this point and more likely a large area of slightly below-normal temperatures."

:classic_laugh:  Not wise to underestimate the Eastern North America bulls-eye.  

Mercy!  The 1/24 12Z GFS at hour 156

image.png.e316a44174fed2ac5813f0600a1c0045.pngimage.png.8dcef30840e205fa2b339ee3c182951e.pngimage.png.74aa0c3a629683960c3db2b5cc843959.png

• Wow! 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

HOLY CRAP

chill1.png

Uhhhh....-51 IMBY? No way.

GFS has Chicago getting down to -30F and stay below zero for several days. 

4 minutes ago, jpfalcon said:

Uhhhh....-51 IMBY? No way.

That's wind chill, but still