Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Staff Recommended Posts

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to SpaceX.  Personally, I think it's amazing to see a company developing and testing a rocket in plain view for all to see.  While I find the SLS system impressive, is also been under development since 2011 if I remember correctly, and we have yet to see much, if any of it.  I don't really trust Boeing at this point, and largely feel that the contractors working on the project have let the American people down.  The SLS actually uses "off the shelf" technology, including boosters that were left over from the shuttle program.

Conversely, SpaceX has built a completely redesigned engine, the raptor, tested the prototype to failure, and already has mated the second one built to the "starhopper" prototype, and last night, text fired it.

I think SpaceX deserves credit for a renewed interest in space travel, yes there are other companies working on it, but none are pushing ahead as boldly.  The recent success of the crew Dragon demo displayed that the company can best the likes of Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Aerodyne (correction, Aerojet Rocketdyne), the ULA in general, and others that have a "pedigree" in rocket science and engineering.

This weekend, we could also see the second ever launch of the falcon heavy, currently the most powerful rocket on earth.  It will carry the 3 ton Arabsat communications satellite to high geostationary orbit.

• Love it! 3

Busy this morning, be back with more.

Found a better video of the "hop test".

• Like 2

They performed the static fire test of the Falcon Heavy, sounds like they ar shooting for a launch on April 9 at 636 eastern.

• Like 1

You can see the "hop" in this video of the second test firing.

Mornin' MJ!

Where'd you see a 6:36 lift-off, is that am/pm?

1 hour ago, Cignus said:

Mornin' MJ!

Where'd you see a 6:36 lift-off, is that am/pm?

Mornin!  Sorry, that's am, but we know how these launch times easily slip. Might have to go into work late. :classic_smile:

Saw it on space.com

Falcon Heavy is expected to launch at 6:36 p.m. EDT (2236 GMT) on Tuesday. If all goes according to plan, the two side boosters will touch down in unison on their designated landing pad at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, while the central booster will land at sea, on one of the company’s two drone ships. 

https://www.space.com/spacex-falcon-heavy-static-fire-test.html

• Thanks 1

Mornin', aw that's okay, slips happen. If I had a nickle for every time.... Retired since '08 so I don't have the work detail, I just have to make a note to remind me to catch it then I have to remember where I put the note.   :hmm:

If you think of it check my Nasa Live thread I edit it about once a week and there's usually some SpaceX stuff on there. No Date or time for late April but Falcon9 and Dragon are on a re-supply to the ISS.

Thanks again for gettin' back to me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cignus said:

Mornin', aw that's okay, slips happen. If I had a nickle for every time.... Retired since '08 so I don't have the work detail, I just have to make a note to remind me to catch it then I have to remember where I put the note.   :hmm:

If you think of it check my Nasa Live thread I edit it about once a week and there's usually some SpaceX stuff on there. No Date or time for late April but Falcon9 and Dragon are on a re-supply to the ISS.

Thanks again for gettin' back to me.

Thangs for reminding me, since there haven't been additional posts, it doesn't show as "unread" so I hadn't been checking it and realize you had been updating it. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You're welcome. Yea, its become somewhat of a 'static' thread with just me updating it, I'll have to ask PM if it's in the Forum software that 'edits' can generate a notification. Probably not as I've never seen it elsewhere, and he probably wouldn't want me to bump it every time I edit.   :bump:      :snoozer_08:    That reminds me, time for an edit over there. I usually check NASA Live once a week and if there aren't any 'major' changes I'll leave it alone unless something's added or over.

Here's another link, I just copied it from my thread:  Orbital Velocity Schedule (OV) page. Its main focus are events surrounding the International Space Station (ISS). And, missions to and from the ISS. You have to watch the dates and times though, your April 9th isn't on it yet and it has my late April as Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:20 10:20  I'm not sure what the double 10:20's all about? Still it is another resource.

Ketch ya' later

p.s. You'll see a note to my thread, I'm pitching a little shameless promoting to your thread.

Edited by Cignus
p.s. at 9am
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the falcon heavy has been delayed to April 10 636pm

Space X released a picture of the giant rocket. 

Posted (edited)

This is a geostationary orbit launch, so the window time will not change. Window starts at 6:36 pm EDT and closes at 8:32 pm EDT

p.s. Didn't want you to miss it: First Image of a Black Hole?

Edited by Cignus
Added link
  • Like 1

They are shooting for an 8pm launch,  gotta hope everything goes smoothly, only a half hour to spare. 

Livestream

• Like 1

Guess we'll try again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Awesome to see the launch succeed.  Amazing that they can land those boosters with such precision and accuracy.

I was hoping that a meso floater would be catch it, but the benign weather that allowed the launch also gave little reason to focus there.

It did show up in the ash band.

ezgif-1-a24d78d66fba.thumb.gif.19126feaf158f68626580d3f051a413c.gif

• Like 3

Busy yesterday this completely slipped my mind.  :classic_sad:

Video is 18:03 in length. These are video timings not T+ time

• 03:02" Ignition
  • 03:07" Liftoff
  • 05:41" Booster Sep
  • 09:00" Starting to see a good booster / Earth perspective
  • 10:37" Begins 4screen view of boosters landing
  • 12:42" View goes to barge landing pad
  • 12:45" Barge lights up from booster exhaust
  • 12:50" Video cuts out - problems with unstable video connection lasts until
  • 13:23" When video resumes with third booster successfully on barge. Telemetry and discussion from there until
  • 17:05" When SatSep of Arabsat 6A occurs and fades into the void.
  • 17:30 to 18:03 video closes with past achievements.

IIRC; The last barge video showed the landing, I'm sure SpaceX will be working on making the video feed fail-safe.

• Like 3

FYI:

Friday, April 26, 5:55 a.m.: Launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon cargo spacecraft from Kennedy Space Center in Florida on the CRS-17 resupply mission to the International Space Station. Dragon will carry supplies and science experiments on board, as well as NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-3 (OCO-3) science instrument. OCO-3 will measure solar-induced fluorescence and carbon dioxide concentrations around the globe.

There's also this Wednesday:

Wednesday, April 17, 4:46 p.m.: Launch of the Northrop Grumman Antares rocket and Cygnus spacecraft from Wallops Flight Facility, Virginia on the NG-11 cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station. Northrop Grumman's eleventh contracted commercial resupply services mission (NG-11) will deliver several tons of cargo including crew supplies and science experiments to the International Space Station.

I was hoping to catch the flight as it ascended 2.5 minutes after launch but the forecast is 80% cloud cover, I'm there in the yellow ellipse.

wallop.jpg.84240335d4bdae7bbc95869fa987bb44.jpg

Sometimes the launch path from Wallops goes up towards ME here's Wallops Flight Facility and a new app they started NASA WFF Mission Status Center

• Like 1

Hi MJ!

Check the NASA Live thread SpaceX CRS-17 mission has been pushed back four days to April 30th. All changes in Red.

• Like 1

MJ, some changes to NL thread, launch remains the same it's what's before and after that has changed, new changes are Confirmed:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Problems for SpaceX

BREAKING: #SpaceX Crew Dragon suffered an anomaly during test fire today, according to 45th Space Wing. Smoke could be seen on the beaches."On April 20, an anomaly occurred at Cape Canaveral AFS during Dragon 2 static test fire. Anomaly was contained and no injuries." pic.twitter.com/If5rdeGRXOApril 20, 2019

Space.com

The April 20, 2019 link will take you to a twitter page.

Did SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule EXPLODE? There's a short unauthorized? video of the capsule explosion.

So far Tuesday's the 30th launch is unaffected as this was on an earlier model of the Crew Dragon capsule. It was just the capsule's abort rockets being tested.

Edited by Cignus
  • Like 1

MJ check NL thread,  launch pushed back one more day to Wednesday May 1st 3:30am

• Thanks 1

Pushed back again....

MEDIA ADVISORY M19-030

Editor's Note: Launch date has been updated to no earlier than Friday, May 3. The prelaunch news conference has been postponed. (Updated April 30, 2019)

Source

I'm not sure if I can keep up with these delays.

• Like 1

And again........

Saturday, May 4, 2:30 a.m. EDT: NASA TV coverage of launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon cargo spacecraft. Liftoff is targeted for 2:48 a.m. EDT from Kennedy Space Center in Florida. On this resupply mission to the International Space Station, Dragon will carry supplies and science experiments, as well as NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-3 (OCO-3) science instrument. OCO-3 will measure solar-induced fluorescence and carbon dioxide concentrations around the globe.

Monday, May 6, 5:30 a.m.: Rendezvous and capture of the SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft at the International Space Station. Capture is scheduled at 7:30 a.m.

Monday, May 6, 9 a.m.: Installation of the SpaceX Dragon at the International Space Station.

I think the delays are due to the power issues on the ISS.  

That said, the lack of information about the crew Dragon "mishap" is concerning, as they either don't know what happened, or they are reluctant to say what the anomaly was.  Space flight is hard, that's why they test, but some clarity is needed to put minds at ease, especially the families of those who will be strapped to the top of a rocket.

• Like 1