Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hudsonSam

How to get sub-hourly historical weather data

Staff Recommended Posts

I know there are many weather websites that provide historical weather data but only at an "hourly" resolution.

Are there any weather websites or services that would provide historical weather at a "sub-hourly" resolution? It would be great if I can get it on a minute by minute basis but would be just as happy with intervals of 15 minutes.

The data doesn't have to be over a very long period. I would be content with one year's worth of data, or at the very least one season's worth (winter preferably) of data.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I'm not sure if three are official reporting sites with that level of granularity.  I think your best option would be to use PWS data from a site such as weather underground.

Hi hudsonSam, welcome to WXDisco! :classic_smile:

I looked around and found two links that might be helpful.

I found this first one at the bottom of this pageHourly and 15-Minute Precipitation Data and Frequency Atlas : Map interface to 15-minute and hourly precipitation amounts from database sources and publications. Rainfall frequency atlas of the United States.

At the bottom of this page you'll see FTP Access and links for 1, 5, and 15" data sets.

I couldn't get too far because NOAA was doing sys-maint until 5pm today 04132019 . This was in a red banner at the top of every NOAA page:

Due to scheduled maintenance, many of our web systems will be unavailable from Friday, April 12 at 5:00 PM ET until Saturday, April 13 at 5:00 PM ET.

I couldn't test it but I believe if you click on the link(s) in the left column that will give you a location choice, when I clicked on 15 Minute Precipitation at 8am this mornin' all I got was

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Some of these ftp's are in a compressed Z format .tar.Z and this link should help explaining that: What Is a Z File?

These two links that I found might be the tip of the 'berg so root around and see if you can find others but try after the system is fully back on line after 5pm today.