Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
junior

February 11-13th Winter Storm OBS

Staff Recommended Posts

Everything covered in a nice glaze of ice and the trees are crackling in the wind. I'm going to bed soon and I'm sure it will all be gone by the time I get up. 

Good riddance, I hope everyone expecting snow gets screwed. :classic_tongue:

Wind advisory out. These past couple weeks have been rainy and windy. I like it somewhat. Rather snow but at least it’s not boring.

• Like 1

Ice accretion in Toledo has to be close to 1/2". Roads are terrible, power outages are occurring and the winds are really blowing. I'm surprised that no counties are under level 3 yet. Drove into work 2 hours early.

• Like 1

Nothing worse or more frustrating than freezing rain when it’s 28 degrees.

• Sad 1

Still 32 degrees with 0.25” rainfall according to my backyard weather station about 3 miles NW of Findlay. 

Temps have been much more stubborn to move here than forecasted. WWA was extended from midnight to 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. Although now technically “expired”, that slow moving temp gonna keep it slick around here for a bit longer.  

Just glad I’m not about 40 miles north of here where Toledo is still icing. 

Light accretions on colder surfaces here in the higher elevations of NE OH. Certainly not nearly as bad as some areas, but it wasn’t forecasted although some models showed it.  Still at 32° IMBY.

I would say if this lasts too much longer here on the OH/MI border then things are about to get real.  We had a power blink enough to knock out the alarm clocks but it's currently on.  The way to work was dodging some downed smaller limbs but I did happen to see a large branch come off of an Oak tree just the other side of my street over my neighbor's house.  Sounded like someone lost a shed!

10 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Just keep printing out your maps it's just numbers on a page sonny boy.lol At least on the fringes

?. This storm wasnt affecting me in the least, I was simply posting an off run of the ECM for everyone to see. Everyone should know by now to trim edges of marginal situations without kuchara maps. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Just keep printing out your maps it's just numbers on a page sonny boy.lol At least on the fringes

Am I the only one who read this in a Morgan Freeman voice? Reminded me of the scene in Shawshank Redemption where Red is in front of the parole board.

• Haha 1

Go home Ottawa Hills SD, you're drunk.....

IMG_0078.JPG

Already probably 4-5" on the ground, drifting like crazy. All non-critical personnel were told to stay home but myself and a few others braved the elements anyway. 

In a few hours it's going to be way worse. We already had a 3' tall drift in front of the door. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

20 minutes ago, ohiobuckeye45 said:

?. This storm wasnt affecting me in the least, I was simply posting an off run of the ECM for everyone to see. Everyone should know by now to trim edges of marginal situations without kuchara maps. 

Not a personal reference I was just kidding about the Euro. More of a reference to how poorly most models portrayed this storm in our area including the GFS. Only model showing the ice in my area  was the NAM

Edited by Cary67
  • Like 1

image.png.5355302e93bddedfdbe989914adf9027.png

Source

• Wow! 1

Sitting in Grand Blanc (just south of Flint, MI) with about an inch of snow and a coating of ice pellets. Looks like we're in the wrong spot for this one. 

40 minutes ago, adurb44 said:

Am I the only one who read this in a Morgan Freeman voice? Reminded me of the scene in Shawshank Redemption where Red is in front of the parole board.

That's exactly the reference I was thinking but thought I would look nuts for mentioning it.Awesome you picked up on that! Just keep filling out your papers. Rehabilitated? That's just a made up word.😀

Edited by Cary67
  • Love it! 2

1 hour ago, ncinthenext3 said:

I would say if this lasts too much longer here on the OH/MI border then things are about to get real.  We had a power blink enough to knock out the alarm clocks but it's currently on.  The way to work was dodging some downed smaller limbs but I did happen to see a large branch come off of an Oak tree just the other side of my street over my neighbor's house.  Sounded like someone lost a shed!

Some smaller limbs are down in the Findlay area, but nothing major. My birch trees lost quite a few small limbs but that’s not surprising...those trees are the bane of my existence. I swear every time a butterfly farts we lose branches in those things!

I get what you’re saying about large branches crashing down. Was in a terrible ice storm in the late 2000s when I lived in Marysville. About an inch of ice in that one. Electric went out late that night, transformers flashing and that eerie sound of gigantic branches breaking and then crashing through the ice encrusted snow was terrifying. Sounds like a war going on when that starts happening. Even more so when electric is out in the middle of the night and there are no other typical white noises insulating outdoor sounds. 

Hopefully folks can avoid that kind of mess!

Beautiful dry slot moving over Michigan. We must've gotten a lot of sleet overnight because there is barely any snow and only a light coating of ice. Work still let us work from home today, which is nice.

Edited by playa21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMirg said:

Go home Ottawa Hills SD, you're drunk.....

IMG_0078.JPG

They hardly ever close or delay.  I was surprised the closed for the cold two weeks ago!

Measured close to 0.40" of ice this morning. Everything was a skating rink, was safer to walk through the grass than on pavement or concrete. Power is out close to the house but we're still hanging on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jpfalcon said:

Measured close to 0.40" of ice this morning. Everything was a skating rink, was safer to walk through the grass than on pavement or concrete. Power is out close to the house but we're still hanging on.

Careful when you're driving.  I came from the other side of Bedford and there are some limbs / branches down in the road.  I think this one was right on the edge of being a whole lot worse.

17 minutes ago, ncinthenext3 said:

Careful when you're driving.  I came from the other side of Bedford and there are some limbs / branches down in the road.  I think this one was right on the edge of being a whole lot worse.

No plans to go out today, working from home thankfully. It was too messy to drive 30 miles into the office.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't get the snow I so desperately want this winter, but did end up with the largest ice storm we've had in years here. Ended up with just under 0.50" of ice at my house around 4am this morning before it started melting. Power has also been out since a similar time. I was not able to get any good photos because it was dark, and now it's mostly melted off the elevated surfaces. We're getting some snow now, huge snowflakes: